The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha hs50 placement Studio Monitors
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

Yamaha hs50 placement

I have a yamaha hs50 and have been using it in about 3 years now. i'm quite happy with the result of my mix and how it translate.
i usually put my speakers vertical, and now i tried to put it horizontal and try to mix on them. and the result is quite difference.

my question is, is this ok to put hs50 in horizontal position? just like ns10 or is it in a wrong position?

thx for reply
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Think of it this way. The weird phasing issues that occur when you stand up from the mix position is happening every time your head moves at all left to right. Comb filtering, masking etc...

The only reason to put speakers horizontal is really to make more vertical room for far fields, and reduce reflection from the near fields in this regard.

Is it ruining your speakers? No. Just keep in mind to stay in the sweet spot as much as possible.

Last edited by MickeyMassacre; 17th September 2011 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: One more line.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMassacre View Post
Think of it this way. The weird phasing issues that occur when you stand up from the mix position is happening every time your head moves at all left to right. Comb filtering, masking etc...

The only reason to put speakers horizontal is really to make more vertical room for far fields, and reduce reflection from the near fields in this regard.

Is it ruining your speakers? No. Just keep in mind to stay in the sweet spot as much as possible.
Thx for the reply - Mickey
so, can i conclude that there's more problems if we put hs50 horizontaly than if we put it vertically?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search