The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Seventh circle audio b16 compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

Seventh circle audio b16 compressor

There was a thread here already discussing this comp a little and it looked like it might go somewhere, to the point where someone actually built and reported on it, but it never made it that far. Is there anyone out there who has built and actually used this thing yet. I was hoping to get some sort of report before I jumped in and bought one but I might just have to chance it. Sca stuff is so good I don't think I have to worry about anything, just curious about feedback on the thing. Anyone?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

i built one. i have only used it on bass so far, worked well for the mix.

i went with the steel core output transformer, the "most colored" option. i noticed just a small amount of weight added to the signal. overall it is a pretty clean compressor.

it seems pretty versatile, the attack and release are program dependant, and they can vary greatly as you change the ratio and threshold settings. it clamps down alot quicker the harder you hit it, you have alot of options for dialing in a sweet spot for whatever effect you are going for.

the hard and soft knee settings sound quite different and both are very usable, the soft knee definitely has a similarity to the DBX overeasy setting.

the mix control is a very nice feature, even more options with this obviously. this was probably the key feature that pushed me over the edge and made me decide to buy one. very useful.

all in all the B16 is a very nice and versatile compressor. i could see it being very useful for tracking, seems like it would work great on drums, more on that later. it does not impart a huge amount of "mojo" on the track, it is more on the clean and smooth side of things and can be very transparant.

i also enjoy the fact that there is no metering on the thing, forces you to do everything by ear. that way you are never second guessing yourself by looking at a meter and thinking you may have too much or not enough compression.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks for the info. I'm getting one. Good point on no meters. I'm a little nervous not knowing how much GR your doing, but like you said... Use your ears. I've been thinking of going all steel as well. Seeing that you can still keep it clean if you like helps me in my decision. Thanks again and keep the info coming with more use.
Old 27th September 2011
<~~Ordering one right now

...done!

Awesome!

Very clean sounding. I've got the transformer here, but I don't know if I want to put it in just yet.
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

other opinions?? anyone??

heh
Old 16th January 2012
Gear Nut

other users?
Old 20th January 2012
Lives for gear

literally just placed my order. went with the steel option. will report back later
Old 31st January 2012
Lives for gear

got my delivery of the comp kit.

I opened it, but haven't had time to dive in yet.

Question: there are some missing resistors in the coil. I'm wondering if they snipped these out because they are not needed for the build with the transformer I ordered?
Old 9th June 2014
I've been using mine for a while. I decided to put the transformers in and I love 'em. They're very flexible and do some really cool things to consolidated drum tracks. You gotta do the mod to connect two b16s together to get them to sound good with stereo. I've used a DBX160a and I have a 163x and I like the B16 a lot better. I love the mix knob too. It's like the magic mix knob. Now that they have the new chassis available for all their kits, it should be much easier to operate, I would always forget what switch or knob did what and have to pull up the manual. I guess I could label it myself, but oh well. I've had the transformers on for so long that I didn't get enough time without them. Might try that for a while and see what I've been missing. I plan on buying more.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search