The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
help needed! how to split signal Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

help needed! how to split signal

Ciao! I want to split the signal coming by a slave out (post power amp, just before speakers) of my amplifier to 3 different multifx. I'm trying to buil a simple and portable TRIAMP configuration: guitar - line6 m9 - amp - sm57 to the PA mixer, and then splitting the signal from the slave out to 3 effects (nova system, lexicon vortex and boss slicer), then from the LR outputs of the 3 multifx, to a small mixer. from here to the PA mixer via 2 cables for stereo.

can I use an hand made split box, with one input and 3 outputs wired in series, or I sholud use somethng more tecnologic like an artec splitter? other solutions??

ps: I know that I'll have to kill dry signal from all 3 multifx!!!!
Old 17th September 2011
"post power amp - just before speakers" means the full output of your power amp. You have to be very careful about what load you put on your power amp output.

I'm guessing you want the full sound of your amp to be the dry sound that feeds your FX ... it's possible, but it would be a lot easier if you decided to forgo that and use a preamp to create your amp tone at line level output.

Running with your idea - the way to get the full tone of your amp would be to connect a DI box that is designed for full speaker output level. The obvious choice would be an Avalone U5. This has a special speaker input, and you connect this in parallel with your speaker - not instead of.

The U5 would then output line level, which you would then have to spit 3 ways to drive your seperate FX boxes. A Morley George Lynch spitter would do this. Radial have some splitter boxes too that would be more expensive and give you even more outputs.

Personally - I would be inclined to use amp modeling for such an FX heavy type of rig. Have you considered the Tech 21 Sansamp Character pedal range? They can pretty much nail the tone of most amps - I find them to sound more tube-like than Line6 digital modeling. Although I'm enjoying the new Pod HD quite a bit at the moment.

If you get your basic amp tone with a preamp (whether a real tube preamp, or a good analog or digital modeler) then you can drive your FX units at line level (or instrument level which is pretty similar) and then drive some clean power amps, which may as well be solid state rack mounted amps since the tone is already there. Use the guitar cabs of choice, of course, since that is a huge part of the tone. This would be a much easier rig to travel with.
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
"post power amp - just before speakers" means the full output of your power amp. You have to be very careful about what load you put on your power amp output.

I'm guessing you want the full sound of your amp to be the dry sound that feeds your FX ... it's possible, but it would be a lot easier if you decided to forgo that and use a preamp to create your amp tone at line level output.

Running with your idea - the way to get the full tone of your amp would be to connect a DI box that is designed for full speaker output level. The obvious choice would be an Avalone U5. This has a special speaker input, and you connect this in parallel with your speaker - not instead of.

The U5 would then output line level, which you would then have to spit 3 ways to drive your seperate FX boxes. A Morley George Lynch spitter would do this. Radial have some splitter boxes too that would be more expensive and give you even more outputs.

Personally - I would be inclined to use amp modeling for such an FX heavy type of rig. Have you considered the Tech 21 Sansamp Character pedal range? They can pretty much nail the tone of most amps - I find them to sound more tube-like than Line6 digital modeling. Although I'm enjoying the new Pod HD quite a bit at the moment.

If you get your basic amp tone with a preamp (whether a real tube preamp, or a good analog or digital modeler) then you can drive your FX units at line level (or instrument level which is pretty similar) and then drive some clean power amps, which may as well be solid state rack mounted amps since the tone is already there. Use the guitar cabs of choice, of course, since that is a huge part of the tone. This would be a much easier rig to travel with.

ok you're right...

I can use a red box to take the signal out post power amp, and this unit has also a speaker emulation...

but I cannot find a tool to split this signal into tre multifx at one time!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search