The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Getting 6k advice on where to invest? Condenser Microphones
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Getting 6k advice on where to invest?

FYI I have a apogee ensemble for ad/da mac pro, pt9, great JBL active monitors. So much more crap too. Taking some suggestion.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Guru

Precious metals.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

/thread
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Hot damn
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

You didn't mention mics, pre's or outboard, so I'll start there. A couple of channels of great signal chain is how I would spend your money. Depending on what you record, I would get a good large diaphragm condenser mic, 2 small diaphragm condensers for a stereo pair, and either a SM57 or a ribbon mic. A 2 channel mic pre and a stereo compressor would round it out. Lots of combinations would work, but here's an example:
Mics: AT4050 ($700) 2 AT4041's ($500) and a Royer R-101 ($800)

Pre's and comp's: API 500-6B Lunchbox ($400) 2 Great River MP-500NV ($1600) 2 API 527 ($1700)

Some good stuff, and I've only spent $5700 of your money. Enough left over for an SM57, some stands and cables. With this gear, and making some use of the mic preamps in your Apogee, you could record all kinds of vocals, acoustic and electric instruments, even do basic drum recording. YMMV of course, but that's some place to start. Good luck.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Buy a car wash.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Invest it in your bank account and use it when you need it.

All the fancy gear will only sell for 25-50% of it's value when in a few years time you could really do with 6k then you'll be screwed.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Tracking?
Mixing?
Making Beats?
dance Music?
Black Metal?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

pre's: love my vintech x73i and my SCA n72's.

I would spend a large chunk getting the acoustics right in your tracking and monitoring room. that way, you'll be able to get the absolute most out of any gear you have/buy because you wont be fighting ****ty room sounds.

peluso P12 also!
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter View Post
Buy a car wash.
Hey I'm no Walter white, but I have already broken bad
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yeah some thinking has gone into treating my studio. I'll post pics of the place tomorrow

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search