The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 9.1.5 Freeze track, lose audio! (plus other things!) Desktop Synthesizers
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Logic 9.1.5 Freeze track, lose audio! (plus other things!)

Hello,

Short Version
Every time I freeze an audio track in Logic 9.1.5, I lose all audio from that track. Unfreezing the track does nothing....the audio is still gone! Nothing is muted in Environment or mixer window that I can see. The only thing that restores the audio is reverting to a backup save.
Please HELP!!!

Long version:
I'm currently running Logic 9.1.5 with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on a MBP Core 2 Duo.
I havent needed to freeze a track since 9.1.4 (I upgraded a month ago or so to 9.1.5 and OSX10.6.8) but a recent session has gotten quite large and I needed to freeze some tracks to free up system resources.

Heres the thing though, every time I freeze an audio track, Logic runs through the track, seems to do its thing, but it does not play back any audio when I try to play back the frozen audio track. Nothing is muted in the environment or mixer...no audio comes out from the track! I can see the little input(?) level bar on the left of the track name moving when I hit the "I" button, but again no audio.

Sometimes the audio waveform data seems to disappear from the region also! And when I unfreeze the tracks, no audio plays back from the track. Its as if the freeze process has deleted my audio track.....which it has essentially done!!!
This has cost me a couple of takes that were really good and I had to get the musician back in and get him to re-record some tracks. Didn't exactly make me look good!!

The funny thing is that I can freeze software instruments in Kontakt etc, and they play back ok. Unfreezing them does not affect the audio at all. It only happens to real life recorded instruments. The only way I can rectify this is to revert to a saved / backed up copy of my session. Though I'm maxing my CPU at the moment and I need the freeze option for this project.

Extra Credit
Another issue I've noted is that muting in the arrange window is not synching with muting in the mixer. I think I remember seeing this working in 9.1.4 and its quite annoying. I.e., hit mute in arrange, and the little "m" symbol in the mixer stays greyed out and vice-versa! Is there a work around?

Thanks guys!
From a very stressed Logic user...
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Are you running 32 or 64 bit? I am guessing 32. The only thing right off I can think of is indeed CPU. Can you use another MAC as a node? You can use firewire between the MACs
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Are you running 32 or 64 bit? I am guessing 32. The only thing right off I can think of is indeed CPU. Can you use another MAC as a node? You can use firewire between the MACs
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes I am running 32bit (thanks to Waves! ). Unfortunately I do not have access to another Mac at the moment, and my Firewire port is connected to my soundcard (MR816X) and daisy-chained to that is my tracking HDD.

I'm up to my wits here...

Oh and finally, my copy of Logic is legit! E600 for a program that deletes my audio!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I am running the same as you. 9.1.5 SL 10.6.8. MBP is newer though.

I just tried both symptoms of yours on mine and everything works as expected. Freezing audio track works. Mute works both windows.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Actually I just thought of something. I recently changed the play/mute (our something) option in the preferences to "save cpu". Its the only change I can think of that I've made. I couldn't imagine that this is the issue but sure I'll try it tomorrow. Its 3am where I live!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Have you run maintenance on your MBP lately? Purging caches, fixing permissions etc? Sometimes OnyX can work wonders.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Have you run maintenance on your MBP lately? Purging caches, fixing permissions etc? Sometimes OnyX can work wonders.
I tried that today, and it does seem like it has solved the freezing issue for now, although I'm holding off on giving it the "all clear" until I can be sure. Its cost me some tracks already and lets just say I'll be saving backups much more frequently from now on.....though I guess thats a good thing!

Thank you hasbeen for you advice!

As for the "Extra Credit" question (the mute and solo buttons not working across the mixer and arrange window), this is caused by setting the Track Mute/Solo function in the Preferences to "CPU saving" instead of "Fast". Re-setting this to "Fast" solved this annoying issue.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search