The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD 1073 can be replaced by...what? Channel Strip Plugins
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

UAD 1073 can be replaced by...what?

Okay, while mixing a project I could not get the vox to sound the way I wanted them to. After lots of trial and error with several EQ's I was about to give up. For some reason I grabbed the UAD 1073 (in demo mode). I never used much of the UAD stuff since I bought the UAD-1 a few years ago.

Why did the 1073 sound so....good? I used a preset called female warm vocal (or something like that).

The problem I have is, I don't want to drop the $249 for the 1073 if I already have something as good owithout knowing it. Maybe I am just having some strange placebo thing going on because the plug has the word Neve in it? I always thought of my plugins as tools. Not something that had a sound all its own (as far as EQ goes). Why the hell was the 1073 so wonderful (sweeter?) Sounded good on guitars too.

Here is my list of EQ that I have at my disposal:

Softube Trident, Focusing EQ, Active EQ, Passive EQ
Waves SSL, API
PSP Mastering EQ
UAD Pultec Pro
Sonar LP 64 EQ
Voxengo Voxformer
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Pulteq Pro I think would do the trick, but it definitely sounds different. Idk, that 1073 works wonders as the first plug-in before anything else...especially for using the filter. I tend to use the 1081 even more due to more EQ bands, but only on other instruments, not on vocals.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

I have a real 1073..sounds fantastic, top end is amazing, I'm sure you might have to buy the plug in version....although I never tried it, I'm sure it will rock. The API and ssl has nice top end also....try those out some more, try cutting instead of boosting
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Have you demo'd any of the other UAD Neve EQs or the channel strip yet? Maybe you could get something closer.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

well, I would just buy the UAD, I use it all the time.
Especially since your not using the UAD card much, you'll get a few of them to use.
It's a great plugin.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yup. That's what I figured. Now I have another problem, wanting to buy a real 1073. The only other plugin that came close to making me want to buy the real thing was the Softube CL1B. The CL1B made me "think" about it. The UAD Neve 1073 keeps me up at night. Well, glad I discovered it. I don't even want to turn on the other UAD Neve stuff. Probably have to sell my car now.

I plastered this thing on guitars, vocals, and the stinking master buss. Wanted to see if I could make it sound bad. Crap. No so much. Haven't even got to the final mix and this stupid little demo plugin has made me change the way I think about my sad little underused UAD-1 card.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11054331
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXP View Post
Okay, while mixing a project I could not get the vox to sound the way I wanted them to. After lots of trial and error with several EQ's I was about to give up. For some reason I grabbed the UAD 1073 (in demo mode). I never used much of the UAD stuff since I bought the UAD-1 a few years ago.

Why did the 1073 sound so....good? I used a preset called female warm vocal (or something like that).

The problem I have is, I don't want to drop the $249 for the 1073 if I already have something as good owithout knowing it. Maybe I am just having some strange placebo thing going on because the plug has the word Neve in it? I always thought of my plugins as tools. Not something that had a sound all its own (as far as EQ goes). Why the hell was the 1073 so wonderful (sweeter?) Sounded good on guitars too.

Here is my list of EQ that I have at my disposal:

Softube Trident, Focusing EQ, Active EQ, Passive EQ
Waves SSL, API
PSP Mastering EQ
UAD Pultec Pro
Sonar LP 64 EQ
Voxengo Voxformer
Going down a different rabbit hole, what version of SONAR do you use?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I've compared my UAD 1073 and the Nebula "fate eq" from analog in the box. The UAD was much easier to work with and sounded great. The Nebula was and is a pain in the butt yet it sounds closer to my 1066's, especially when boosting top.

If you dont want to get sucked into Nebula, you can download the free version. Their site also has a link to other free versions, including AITB Fate EQ. I think it is only the high shelf, but you can boost a little 16k, drive the plug for color and then make surgical moves with a clean eq.

That would be the free solution, and it works quite well. I often do this just to avoid futzing with Nebula or outboard.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed View Post
Going down a different rabbit hole, what version of SONAR do you use?
Sonar X1 Producer (hey they introduced a Softube Saturation knob!) Pretty sure the saturation knobs on the other Softube stuff is the same so I won't be getting it, although it does look pretty cool. Now, if they would let Softube design the entire ProChannel, that would be cool! Except the EQ. Make UAD do that (1073 please!) :-)
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Heck View Post
I've compared my UAD 1073 and the Nebula "fate eq" from analog in the box. The UAD was much easier to work with and sounded great. The Nebula was and is a pain in the butt yet it sounds closer to my 1066's, especially when boosting top.

If you dont want to get sucked into Nebula, you can download the free version. Their site also has a link to other free versions, including AITB Fate EQ. I think it is only the high shelf, but you can boost a little 16k, drive the plug for color and then make surgical moves with a clean eq.

That would be the free solution, and it works quite well. I often do this just to avoid futzing with Nebula or outboard.
I have the Nebula Acquavox and that is a mainstay on my vocal tracks. But, it was free. The other Nebula thingy never worked right for me. It was a PITA.

I will give the FATE a shot. So I gather it is the top end of the 1073 that makes everything happy? I am 98% cut, 2% boost these days.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CXP View Post
I have the Nebula Acquavox and that is a mainstay on my vocal tracks. But, it was free. The other Nebula thingy never worked right for me. It was a PITA.

I will give the FATE a shot. So I gather it is the top end of the 1073 that makes everything happy? I am 98% cut, 2% boost these days.
I could never get the Nebula Acquavox to load on my PC.

Not trying to compare the ProChannel to the 1073, but what are thoughts on its EQ section?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed View Post
I could never get the Nebula Acquavox to load on my PC.

Not trying to compare the ProChannel to the 1073, but what are thoughts on its EQ section?
I had no issues with the Acquavox actually. I love it love it love it. Worth getting it to work. CPU hog though.

The ProChannel is good for HPF/LPF stuff. I have so many other options I never really worked with it a lot. I will say, tons of pretty good presets throughout the entire ProCh. If all I had was the ProCH I could do pretty well. The 4k comp is really nice from the limited testing I did. The Softube Sat Knob would make the ProCh a monster for anyone that has only that as a plug. Maybe I spent so much money on other gear I don't want to like it as much.

I used the Vocal Strip to widen some vocals and got a nice "Katy Perry" sound (if you think Katy Perry has a nice sound).
Old 17th September 2011
RiF
Lives for gear

If you don't want to shell out $250 for the UAD 1073 (which is a nice EQ for sure), try any parametric EQ and set the Q to about 0.30.

To match the 1073's curves more accurately, you can use Christian Budde's VST Plugin Analyzer (Windows only) to analyze the curve. Then use any other EQ plugin to match that curve. If it sounds good to you, you saved $250 ;-).

In this thread, I tried to emulate a UAD Pultec, 1081 and Waves SSL E-Channel using a stock versatile parametric EQ (sans the distortion and phase going on, of course):
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/624973-my-1000th-post-emulating-ssl-e-channel-neve-1081-pultec-eq-curves-digi-eq3.html
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

PSP sQuad? (and I have mine for sale...)

Herwig
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
If you don't want to shell out $250 for the UAD 1073 (which is a nice EQ for sure), try any parametric EQ and set the Q to about 0.30.

To match the 1073's curves more accurately, you can use Christian Budde's VST Plugin Analyzer (Windows only) to analyze the curve. Then use any other EQ plugin to match that curve. If it sounds good to you, you saved $250 ;-).

In this thread, I tried to emulate a UAD Pultec, 1081 and Waves SSL E-Channel using a stock versatile parametric EQ (sans the distortion and phase going on, of course):
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/624973-my-1000th-post-emulating-ssl-e-channel-neve-1081-pultec-eq-curves-digi-eq3.html
THANKS
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
I have the UAD neve but almost never use it after getting ALExB's Neve EQ for Nebula which is one of the only ITB EQ's I like for boosts.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

get the UAD when its on sale. I have it an use it a lot.

If you want a real 1073 then check this out. Its not a "real" one but is real nice!

Classic Audio Products of Illinois

I have one and have really been digging it. Much better the the UAD but you don't get 20 of them at once. Both should get you some great mileage.
Old 19th September 2011

I have uad 1073. I like it. I have nebula AITB fate eq and prefer it to the uad but the uad is use full to get me in the right area while I'm making a track and then I render it the nebula while mixing.
Old 26th September 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post

Very cool...thanks for the links.
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Nut
I just bought a quad flexi. Got the studer, massive passive, emt250, then bought the 1073, fatso, and emt 140 with the rebate and only had to pay 22 dollars. And now I just got an email for a free fairchild compressor.

So, I bought a quad flexi that brings 4 plug-ins and 500 dollar voucher, and turned it around into 13 plugins at an estimated 2k value, for 22 dollars.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search