The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choir Mics Condenser Microphones
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head
Choir Mics

Anyone have a favorite choir mic? I need to mic about 70 people. Currently my church was sold some Astatic choir sticks (not my choice I HATE THEM) and we are looking to toss them and get something new. I need something in the $ 300-400 each range. The building is extremely noisy (we are meeting in a gym). A/C and Lights are loud. System is underpowered and room is not treated but we have to deal with it for now. What would you think about using shotguns? Too narrow of a pattern?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Pair of cardioids. Not sure I'd buy for a room as ****ty as that though. Unless you are going to do this kind of thing more often, in which case a pair of SDC condensers with all the capsules, or at least omni and cardioid.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head
I don't really have a choice. The current setup is terrible. I have to get something better. Although not perfect and the room certainly needs work this is a "baby step". thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

maybe try some of the Audix microbooms. i wouldn't call them my "favorite", but we have sold them to several of our church customers for choir use, and the results have been pleasing.

asthetically speaking, they are easy to position without ending up an eyesore to the congregation.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudioman View Post
Anyone have a favorite choir mic? I need to mic about 70 people. Currently my church was sold some Astatic choir sticks (not my choice I HATE THEM) and we are looking to toss them and get something new. I need something in the $ 300-400 each range. The building is extremely noisy (we are meeting in a gym). A/C and Lights are loud. System is underpowered and room is not treated but we have to deal with it for now. What would you think about using shotguns? Too narrow of a pattern?
I got good results on a choir of 40 in a similar situation using my sm81 pair, which are in your price range ($350 each).
Old 17th September 2011
Check out the sennheiser i30h-s, its a super-cardioid and will pick up less noise and feedback than a regular cardioid choir mic. Its about the only choir mic in your budget.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search