The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where to move? Books
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

CRAS grad here, live from Nashville. Packed up, got married, and drove 35 hours from Arizona where I grew up. No family here. It is scary as heck but there is a great feeling of adventure...makes you feel alive.

I am interning at a great studio, and trying to build my personal client list. I have discovered that the chances of getting hired at a studio are just as slim as the chances of making it trying to have your own. What do I do? I am beginning to freelance engineer. Occasionally I record people at My studio's B room, making little money...but these people know other people...my name is getting out. Give me a few more years...

I've been here about 6 months. Soon I shall try for a job at Sam Ash in the pro audio department, in order to supplement my sick, filthy lifestyle of audio engineering.

Just do it...I suggest Nashville. You will meet great new people. You'll see the way a real studio operates. I've already met one famous person, which is cool. Just enjoy life while you can...

I plan to save enough money at Sam Ash to open a studio with my friend. Partnership seems like a better way to go than on my own.

I am really just lucky and happy to have my sweet wife to come home to. That's the important thing
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

where

Move wherever you see people making it. Never give up, you can't say that one city will not offer an opportunity. It matters who you meet and how hard you try. Even trying hard won't guarantee you make it but people will notice your effort.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

little engine that could
i think i can i think i can i think i can
dont pay no nevermind to the other million that said the same thing
and faile because i am me and i think i can i think i can i think i can
until i get tired of being broke hungry and poor and wake up one day realizing that i am over 75 and i never did never did never did never did
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Seems to me that you should chase jobs rather than a place to live. Chase the best bands, bring them to a studio and track them, morrissound I think is still running, but there's a bunch of studios and bands in Orlando. Travel there. I don't know what music style you work in.....or try every single major studio for an internship, work up that ladder.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the posts guys,

Im working on trying to be in audio, dont get me wrong. Ive left starbucks and am at sam ash now.

I do freelance mixing work for a pretty big company, however those jobs are far and few between.

I dont gig here cuz I havent met musicians available to gig, they are already in other bands. The gigs here are quite ridiculous though...

Anyways, Im NOT just sitting on the internet, but I understand what you guys are saynig.

I think there might be more opportunity at a place where the economy isnt as toxic as it is here.

Ahhh, im so lost...
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
To get gigs you have to be heard. Make demos, go to open mic/jam nights. Show the versatility that you can cover any sub situation that comes up. Learn a million covers. People you play with, and people that hear you will expand a network that will put you in line for better situations. Which can lead to live sound gigs and possibly recording work.

But people have to hear you first. They will go with what (and whom) they know.
Old 20th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
Thanks for the insight guys, keep it coming.

Seems like I made a mistake with full sail huh? I didnt say you want fries with that, I said would you like the venti size

But seriously, its depressing that I chased my dream like everyone told me to, now they all have good paying careers and Im stuck.. but hey, at least I went for it!

Anyways, Im really lost and I dont know what to do, I know Tampa is completely dead, the economy is toxic, there arent any jobs in ANY field except fast food, and its just draining me.

Why did you say forget Boulder completely? I love it out there and my brother in law is out there... no chance for music type jobs out there?

Thanks a million guys!

Jim
you, me and a few hundred thousand other people are all rowing the same boat friend.

i got lucky and went to some audio trade school and spent way less. but i still got the same result, working in manufacturing, ****ty hours and pay to boot, with pretty much no way out stuck thinking about how my dreams are largely dead.

and personally, this trade school was mightily unimpressive with there teachings. i got more out of playing with my setup, recording my own material then i did from them. they offered a "tech" coarse. glad i didn't stay to find out, probably would have soldered an xlr cable or two and sent us home.

i can't even get a job soldering. i love to do it, and i could do whatever these clowns need me to do with my arms tied and the iron in my teeth but i have no references on paper, and that's what they care about. paper.

it's a wonderful world.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
To get gigs you have to be heard. Make demos, go to open mic/jam nights. Show the versatility that you can cover any sub situation that comes up. Learn a million covers. People you play with, and people that hear you will expand a network that will put you in line for better situations. Which can lead to live sound gigs and possibly recording work.

But people have to hear you first. They will go with what (and whom) they know.
Thats a good plan man, thanks!

I'll hit up some open mics this week then!

I dont really feel comfortable jamming, my theory is not really up to snuff, but I can play
Old 20th September 2011

My vote- move to Boulder.

Plenty of national touring acts have come out of the front range area, and Colorado has one of the most active live music scenes in the country.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Nut

Have To Give My Two Cents

Hey man,

glad to see you guys are looking to make a move. I have to say, I was in your position less than 2 years ago. My wife and I were living in Columbus, OH and for what WE wanted to do we were very very limited there.

We packed up and haven`t looked back. We moved to Miami, FL of all places. In less than 2 years from moving, I have moved into my dream apt. live by the beach and have been working with some great artists, producers, mixers, and writers. When we moved we spent all of our money in moving, and getting an apt that was more than twice what we were paying in Ohio. We had like 100 dollars after we moved in without knowing how the hell we`d pay for the next month of rent, our phones, car, car insurance, or eat. But we did, and have done it since then.

I went to every shows, writers events, my brother used to live there so he put me in touch with a few producers, writers, but I did not get any jobs from them, I started getting jobs from people I`d randomly meet at bars, shows, and people who knew people that knew people.

I actually would encourage to just do it! pick a place based on where your gut tells you thats the right place for you. And you have to kinda like it, trust me Miami was not my dream place but I love it here now.

Now, check this out, you are only a fraction of your success, I say that because you are married, your wife is a huge huge part of all this. She has dreams of her own I`m sure, and she has to be supportive of what you do as much as you have to be there for her as well. Without the support of my wife we would`ve never been able to do this.

She has to go to a place where she is also inspired to follow her dream, that will increase your level of success as well as inspiration, you will inspire each other. Where i live is tough being married, tough making it into any industry, but having good support is huge, from a friend, family, or your wife.

Anyway, before i moved I thought, of where is the best music scene, where are there more opportunities, and so on, now I realize that as long as you are in a place that inspires you, you are a major hustler, and a network machine, AND super important, are good at what you do, you`ll get where you wanna get. Moving helps you get to "the right place at the right time" thats it.

Good luck man, and I wish you and your wife the best, you are in a crazy exciting place, enjoy it!!

Johnny
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
I dont really feel comfortable jamming, my theory is not really up to snuff, but I can play
I'm not sure what kind of music you're into and what sort of bands you were hoping to join when you said all the musicians in your area were already booked into existing bands.

If I were a bandleader looking for a sub, a statement like this would scare me off. What level of theory do you need to go to a blues or classic rock jam? I mean if you really know stuff you will kill folks with great playing. But being able to listen, recognize what is going on and fit in, in other words being able to jam, would be the first thing I would be looking for in hiring a musician for an upcoming gig. The more you know about music the easier this is, but experience, vocabulary and big ears can carry you pretty far. If you feel unable to fit in at a jam night, breaking into a local music scene may not be the path for you.

Now if you had studied previously but gotten rusty and were looking at a hardcore jazz jam, that statement might make more sense.

To break into a paying music gig (which means covers, original bands have to pay the club to let them play) you need to know the repertoire of what is going over in your area. Which means getting out and listening and then doing your homework so you could step into any one of several working bands in town. Then go to jams and open mic nights and show that you should be their first call sub. From there when you start getting calls and some reputation, you may be able to expand those contacts into some projects that you can take a shot at the brass ring with. Just keep the ability to pay the bills while you're at it.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
To break into a paying music gig (which means covers, original bands have to pay the club to let them play)
um, i've only been in original bands and i've never paid to play a gig. the pay to play thing is only for chumps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search