The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
moved mics
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

moved mics

Hey all,
a few nights ago I recorded a few double-tracked guitars and all went fairly smooth. used a (421 and a 57). I was really happy with the tone as well, took me quite awhile to get a placement I was happy with. We've finished about half of the tracks. The night that they left, I went to mark the location of the mics on the cab, and accidently bumped the mics a tinyyy bit.

I immediatley moved them back and they are close to the location that I had them. My question is: What would you do in this situation? I'm hoping we don't have to re-do the tracks to match
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

You should be able to get pretty darn close to what it sounded like if you move it slowly around where you think it was while listening to the mic through some headphones.
I wouldn't redo everything just because of a slight difference.

Some band track different songs for one album in different studios and the results are consistent.
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

I'd listen and figure out if they sound the same. If they do, then great. If they don't, then I'd move them until they do. If they're really really close, a db or two of eq never hurt anybody. Just listen. Also, it's definitely okay for different parts and different songs to have different guitar sounds.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
We've finished about half of the tracks.
From song to song, it should not be that critical. Is you guitar on the same pickup in every song? Are you using the same pedals and amp settings in every song? Even if you bumped the mics in the middle of recording one song, you can almost always get away with an approximate matching.

When it comes time to mix, minute differences in how the tracks are recorded are probably going to disappear compared to larger differences in how the tracks are mixed.

A little variety is a good thing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search