The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
starting up a mobile rig, is this a good start? Mixers (Analog)
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

starting up a mobile rig, is this a good start?

So I'm about to get my own mobile setup and start doing some live sound gigs on the weekends at my restaurant out back. I think it will get me more work on the side and bring in more business too. There will be about 50-75 people average starting out with possible growth as I do it more and create more space and might even bring bigger shows somewhere else if it get's to that point. I will be doing full bands and solo artist.

As for the gear I already have mics, cables, snakes, etc that I use for recording (sm58s, i5s, 57s, 421s, 81s,451s etc etc)

I just got a pair of QSC k12 monitors (a good choice?).

I don't have a mixer yet. I'm not really looking to spend a lot on one right now but have my mind set on the one I want to save up for(Allen & Heath ZED420) if this all works out the way I want it to and people actually show. For right now I think I might go with a Yamaha MG166cx. Is this a pretty descent mixer? I see it only has 2 aux sends(pre) that I can use for stage monitors. Will 2 get me by with a 3 or 4 piece band in a fairly small to medium area? If you know of any better mixers than have the feature set similar to this one at sub $600 let me know. I'm on the hunt but haven't found anything yet.

Does this sound like a pretty good setup to start with?
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharper23 View Post
So I'm about to get my own mobile setup and start doing some live sound gigs on the weekends at my restaurant out back. I think it will get me more work on the side and bring in more business too. There will be about 50-75 people average starting out with possible growth as I do it more and create more space and might even bring bigger shows somewhere else if it get's to that point. I will be doing full bands and solo artist.

As for the gear I already have mics, cables, snakes, etc that I use for recording (sm58s, i5s, 57s, 421s, 81s,451s etc etc)

I just got a pair of QSC k12 monitors (a good choice?).

I don't have a mixer yet. I'm not really looking to spend a lot on one right now but have my mind set on the one I want to save up for(Allen & Heath ZED420) if this all works out the way I want it to and people actually show. For right now I think I might go with a Yamaha MG166cx. Is this a pretty descent mixer? I see it only has 2 aux sends(pre) that I can use for stage monitors. Will 2 get me by with a 3 or 4 piece band in a fairly small to medium area? If you know of any better mixers than have the feature set similar to this one at sub $600 let me know. I'm on the hunt but haven't found anything yet.

Does this sound like a pretty good setup to start with?
I've had good experiences with the MG series, but they don't handle humidity well at all, so be careful in using them in the outdoors. I'd go for one of their larger consoles that has four aux-sends. If you need EQ's for your monitor mixes, DN360's are easy to come by used. Behringer EQ's aren't absolutely horrid for live use if you can't find any good EQ's -- all you need is to be able to yank out frequencies that are feeding back, really.

It sounds like you're off to a good start. QSC makes some of my favorite live gear, third to D&B and second to Dynacord.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

Soundcraft GB2R 12 Compact Mixer: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

That might not be a bad idea if it's got enough inputs for you. It's a bit over your budget, but it'll sound great and last you a long time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search