The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
bass traps for back walls, not just corners? Utility Software
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

bass traps for back walls, not just corners?

I get that low energy builds up in corners and that's why bass traps are often shaped to go in corners, but what about the actual back wall. Isn't the actual back wall in a smaller room an issue?

Are there any products available for the actual walls? All Auralex bass trapping products seem to be just for corners.

Does anyone have any pictures or links to info about placing traps on actual walls? for example, do they go high or low on the wall? How many traps per wall, etc.

Thanks
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkbossy View Post
but what about the actual back wall. Isn't the actual back wall in a smaller room an issue?
Yes! The back wall is just as important as corners, especially if it's not very far behind your ears. Not only for bass, but for all frequencies.

Quote:
Are there any products available for the actual walls? Does anyone have any pictures or links to info about placing traps on actual walls? for example, do they go high or low on the wall? How many traps per wall, etc.
The most important portion of the rear wall is the area at ear level, but higher and lower helps too, especially for bass waves which are larger.

RealTraps Products

Below are some rear wall photos.

--Ethan

Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
Yes! The back wall is just as important as corners, especially if it's not very far behind your ears. Not only for bass, but for all frequencies.

The most important portion of the rear wall is the area at ear level, but higher and lower helps too, especially for bass waves which are larger.

RealTraps Products

Below are some rear wall photos.

--Ethan

Thanks Ethan,

I appreciate the response. I am thinking of purchasing some MiniTraps for my rear wall next week.

Why do you think it is that companies like Auralex seem to mostly only focus on products for the corners?

The MiniTraps seem like they'll be very heavy. Is there any way to mount them that is non-permanent (I rent)? I see on the realtraps site that microphone stand mounting is an option. Do you have any pics of that type of mounting that you can post?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I found this out by accident. I built home made bass traps for each corner - ended up being too big straddling the corners - so I built home made superchunks with Rockwool. As I had these 4 big bass traps laying around away I simply had them stacked up against the back wall - where - they turned out to make a significant contribution. How do I know ?

When I did some testing with Fuzz Measure, I removed them, then put them back in where they were against the back wall - voila. Needless to say - they are staying there.
Cdlt
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkbossy View Post
The MiniTraps seem like they'll be very heavy.
That's part of their effectiveness. heh

Quote:
Is there any way to mount them that is non-permanent (I rent)? I see on the realtraps site that microphone stand mounting is an option. Do you have any pics of that type of mounting that you can post?
There are photos all over the RealTraps site showing mic stands and also the two types of stands we sell. But bass traps work well enough sitting on the floor, tipped back to lean against the corner. Or you can prop them up on cardboard boxes or milk crates etc.

--Ethan
Old 20th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
For control rooms, you see a lot of diffusion used on back walls, directly behind the listening position with great effectiveness.

Curious what your take on that is Ethan? Back wall diffusion, traps or both?
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
For control rooms, you see a lot of diffusion used on back walls, directly behind the listening position with great effectiveness.

Curious what your take on that is Ethan? Back wall diffusion, traps or both?
I'm not Ethan, but when I build my first studio in the late 80s, I had the same guy as had designed ABBA's Polar studio providing input and he proposed to put on the side and rear walls rockwool covered with cloth and then put wooden slats across, with about 1 cm distance between each slat. This way the lower frequencies would be trapped and the wood would reflect and scatter some higher frequencies back into the room.

Now 20 years later on maybe the wisdome is changed?
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
For control rooms, you see a lot of diffusion used on back walls, directly behind the listening position with great effectiveness. Curious what your take on that is Ethan? Back wall diffusion, traps or both?
Unless the back wall is 20+ feet way behind you, something is needed there to handle the reflections. Diffusion is great, and would be my first choice because it makes the room sound more spacious. But good diffusion costs a lot more than good absorption, so budget is usually the deciding factor.

Either way, the outer parts of the walls near the corners should have bass traps. Ideally there will be more bass traps above and below the diffusors. Some diffusors also absorb bass, so that's good too.

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search