The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Last Moog MP-201 Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Last Moog MP-201

My Moog MP-201 just shipped. It's one of the last batch Moog made.

My first question is: since this is the last batch, will it be the best of them? Meaning all bugs worked out, best build, etc.? I'm asking (historically speaking) about such gear in general, and even Moog's track record for their discontinued products.

My second question is: since this model is discontinued will I receive poor service if I do have problems with it since they're no longer focused on it?

I've only had excellent service from Moog with my Voyager, but read in a couple of places that getting the last one of any product can be problematic.
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

I guess I'll be finding this out on my own then.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
Well....you had these questions before you ordered it, and you still ordered it.

Which means you are prepared to deal with it one way or another.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
Well....you had these questions before you ordered it, and you still ordered it.
Uh, no.

I ordered it a couple of days before it was discontinued, that's why I'm asking what to expect.

I've never bought a used or discontinued piece of gear.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Will it be the best? That is subjective. Some liked older Minimoogs better than newer. Speaking of the Minimoog, when was the last time they were made? Oh yeah decades ago, do they still work, yes. I highly doubt Moog will leave you hanging out to dry. Its not like you are buying Apple, Microsoft products here right? I wouldn't worry so much about it. enjoy it. Really if it does break any competent electronics tech should be able to troubleshoot and replace the missing part.
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Helpful info, thanks.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Guru

Hmmm. The MP-201 sure didn't last long. Hasn't it only been out for a year or two?
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

That was my thought too, and why I was a bit concerned it might be a rare item to service later on.

But like I said, Moog has been good to me in the past, hopefully they'll stay in business forever.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict
Reliability is hard to guess. I guess one would have to pop it open and inspect what components may become unreliable in theory coupled with it having a few mechanical parts. Not that I'm recommending you do that for no other reason than curiosity.

My thoughts are that while it's something a few people definitely have been looking for the price point isn't one where someone would buy one on impulse or as an accessory.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Darnit, I had a shop order me one a couple of weeks ago while it was still a current item on Moog's site. I hope they managed to get one sent. No word yet one way or the other.
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisnick View Post
My thoughts are that while it's something a few people definitely have been looking for the price point isn't one where someone would buy one on impulse or as an accessory.
I bought a MF-101 and wanted a MIDI to CV converter to control it from my DAW. After much research and talking to different distributors/manufactures, the MP-201 ended up being exactly what I needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
Darnit, I had a shop order me one a couple of weeks ago while it was still a current item on Moog's site. I hope they managed to get one sent. No word yet one way or the other.
I was concerned about that same thing with the MP-201 after the Alesis Andromeda discontinuation rumors last year. My gear store assured me it was only a rumor and they were waiting for they're next batch.

Well, they never got anymore and that was that.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

I have one of these, amazing piece of gear, nothing else quite like it really. You can set it, among other things I'm sure, to modulate multiple pedal expression CVs at the same time, in different shapes and divisions of tempo, kind of ridiculous actually. I wish it had more tap switches, 4 doesn't really cover it often.

Not sure why it didn't catch on, maybe poor marketing, but it's a great tool and I do hope the support will continue.
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Supposedly Moog will be coming out with something better to replace the MP-201.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtronik View Post
No teasers? I guess maybe I'll hold off ordering a Gordius Little Giant if my dealer can't get me the Moog.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtronik View Post
OK, if that's the case, then I'm holding off for the replacement.
Old 20th September 2011
Here for the gear

I'm sure I'll be satisfied with the Moog MP-201 MIDI to CV converter, especially since it's a machine designed to control Mooger Foogers.

I'll make a video as soon as I have time, using my DAW to control the MP-201, controlling the MF-101's parameters, using it on different digital gear.
Old 23rd September 2011
Here for the gear

First test.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search