The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Selling second hand equipment DAW Software
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Selling second hand equipment

Hey everyone, this is my first ever post on here and I'm after some independent advice on selling second hand (almost brand new) sound gear.

I purchased a 003 control deck with Pro Tools 8, but have now upgraded to Pro Tools 9 and as everyone knows, you don't need to run an interface and can run Pro Tools software independently..

I'm wanting to sell my 003 control deck, provided the hardware has only been used on two projects and was purchased mid last year, could anyone please tell me 1) If there are any good places to list equipment for sale? 2) What price would be acceptable to re-sell this piece of equipment and 3) any other considerations?

Thanks in advance
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeform View Post
Hey everyone, this is my first ever post on here and I'm after some independent advice on selling second hand (almost brand new) sound gear.

I purchased a 003 control deck with Pro Tools 8, but have now upgraded to Pro Tools 9 and as everyone knows, you don't need to run an interface and can run Pro Tools software independently..

I'm wanting to sell my 003 control deck, provided the hardware has only been used on two projects and was purchased mid last year, could anyone please tell me 1) If there are any good places to list equipment for sale? 2) What price would be acceptable to re-sell this piece of equipment and 3) any other considerations?

Thanks in advance
Good place to sell is here under Second hand classifieds, have no idea what to ask for a 003, they have fallen a lot. Also being a newbie with no itrader rating and 1 post is gonna be even harder to sell, even gearslutz here with high itrader points are just slow selling right now.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here ebay and craigslist. For price once you buy it from the store new and take it home price drops 30 to 50 percent.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

A couple of things to note on this:

The 003's were discontinued earlier this year, so most dealers are selling them brand new at clearance prices. The console versions generally go for $1199.

The general prices of them used seem to be about $700 or less (the rack versions go for $350 to $475).

I assume you upgraded to 9 using the serial number of the 003. You may want to inform the buyer in your ad that you've already done that (which means they won't be able to use it for the upgrade. They can still buy the full version of PT9 if they want).

Also, you should include the PT8 software that came with it, as a courtesy, and because Avid emphasizes that that should be the case.

You should also fill out the transfer of ownership form (found on the Avid website) and include that for the buyer, who will then send it in after filling out their portion. This may be needed for them to be able to activate the PT8 software that comes with it. It also allows them to participate in any special offer/hardware exchanges that Avid does, such as the trade-up deal for HD, or if they have one when they come out with a 004, etc.

Lastly, you don't have to include the Ilok or the Factory plugins that came with it. It's more of a hassle than it's worth. You can keep using those yourself, or sell the licenses individually to people. Just be sure to mention that no extra plugins come with the unit.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search