The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I need a pair of monitors for under a grand...suggestions? Studio Monitors
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
I need a pair of monitors for under a grand...suggestions?

These will be my main mix monitors, so I really need the most accurate setup that will translate the best. I'd like to stay closer to $500, but max $1000, I'll be buying used. Main music is rock.

Many thanks for the help!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

i think you could get used bm6a under hundred dollars.
or cheaper solution adam a7x.
for my ears bm6a are better.
you'll have to try them so you can make conclusion by yourself
because monitors are very individual thing and at the other point
they are very, very important for working.
so, go to store and listen to them.
Old 16th September 2011
Check out the focal CMS 65 they are very accurate. My mixes translate perfectly. You can also check out one of the treads I started as I explain my experience before I got them and after I started using them.
Old 16th September 2011
Some Yamaha HS50's. (350 euro a pair)
Some secondhand Genelecs or Dynaudio. Whatever you run into. Dynaudio made loads of hifi speakers. Those & an amp you will have lying around would do just fine.

The HS50's do translate to the outside world fine. They are not the most fun speaker to listen to. but they do the job well. Some behritones might be something you'd want to too...

And how big is the room? Cause when the room is too big little speakers tend to sound small. Wich may not be to your liking.
Old 16th September 2011
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Dynaudio BM6 w/ a Behringer A500 amp.

The HS50's do the job.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
I have an old Urei 6230 power amp laying around...would that suffice in a passive monitor situation?
Old 17th September 2011
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Yamaha HS80M's are a good bet to stay within your budget, or you can go for the 50s if your room is really small. But bear in mind, the monitors you get mean little without proper room treatment. I'd invest some money there as well.

Cheers.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
But bear in mind, the monitors you get mean little without proper room treatment. I'd invest some money there as well.

Cheers.

+1

Cannot be said enough.

I firmly believe one can learn to mix on any monitor in a pretty well-treated room.
Just as mixing is something you learn as you go, same thing with monitors.
Everyone has their preference, but once you've worked with a set and really get to know them, and then know where to compensate for their strengths and weaknesses while you mix, then you're pretty much golden. This is one of the reasons so many seasoned engineers (and even younger ones) still prefer mixing on NS-10's as their main nearfields. They sound like crap and have no low-end, but, but they know exactly how things should sound on them, and apply this to their own mixes.

That said, I do think investing in acoustic treatment and not cutting corners on monitors is a good way to go. There are options within your budget, they've already been mentioned so no need to go there again. Myself, I just got floored by the ADAM A7X's. I went in truly thinking I would prefer the Focal CMS65s because of all the great things I'd read about them, but hearing those 2 back-to-back the other day nailed the coffin.

The Focals were very impressive, in fact, I thought they sounded too good, too 'polite', for lack of a better term.
The A7X immediately brought out flaws I was very aware of in some of my mixes, and some new nasty surprises to go along with it, lol, but I also heard the reverb and delay tails with more clarity on the ADAMs than on the Focals.

Again, it's a personal thing, a friend of mine does great mixes on HS80s, and some swear by Focals or Dynaudio, etc, just get a good pair and learn the crap out of them, in your room.
Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfdsa View Post
I have an old Urei 6230 power amp laying around...would that suffice in a passive monitor situation?
oh yeah, good beasties - club amp
you might want to change the capacitors for fresh heh
a quick google with some technical info: JBL/Urei 6230 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
and the schematic: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vin...6260manual.pdf
notice that the connections are pin 3 hot, so take care (most modern gear is on pin 2 hot) or connect to the terminal strip.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
I've heard that the Dynaudio's (bm5/6a) have more lows than the adams (a7x) ...is this a lack of bass on the adams, or a hyped low end on the dyn's? Which speaker is more 'turthful'?
How do Genelics and Yamaha's play in the game...as I hear about those four brands the most?

In regards to ns10's, this being my first (and only) pair of quality monitors, would they really be a good choice?

Thanks for the amp info Reptil - good to know about the odd pin dilemma, much appreciated. Are most passive monitors good @ 150w 4ohm?

Sadly, I have nowhere to listen in person...within 100mi atleast...

Someone asked about the room, it is currently untreated (I need some help sourcing good CHEAP material...) roughly 9x15x30' with some other things going on...
Old 17th September 2011

What about these speakers for under a grand?

Old 17th September 2011
Gear Guru

Don't forget a pair of Recoil Stabilizers!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

High end monitoring and sound absorption all in one!?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!
Old 20th September 2011
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
You will want to check out the following IF you can get them where you are for good price, check out B stock and second hand deals.

Neumann KH120
Adam A7X
Focal CMS65
KRK VXT8
Mackie HR824 MKII

A used set of PMC TB2 if you got an amp would be good also. If you want my personal experience on the A7x / cms50/65 / HR824 MK2 / b&w and other monitors then send me a pm and ill be happy to share.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search