The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog Mini Moog vs Minimoog vst Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Moog Mini Moog vs Minimoog vst

Arturia Minimoog V | Vintage Synth Explorer

Whats better the actual mini moog or the vst or are they the same?
Old 16th September 2011
If they weigh about the same, I would say Yes.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

There's Lots of threads already about this.

I have the arturia vst and also minimonsta... Ive only played with my buddies little phatty and have demo'd the voyager at several locations.

In a nutshell, the analog hardware synths will probably always have an unattainable quality and character that cannot be perfected after the digital transformation. Turning physical voltage values into digital binary to try and mimick the real deal causes a certain loss of information. However, your ears are pretty good at filling in missing information so when played in a mix with proper eq, compression, and placement, the plugins can do a pretty damng good job of tricking you into thinking you're hearing the real deal. If you were to do an A/B comparison i think you would find much more out for yourself then any explanation i can really give. In this field the only way to know for sure is to figure it out on your own good luck
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok Rolles View Post
Ive only played with my buddies little phatty and have demo'd the voyager at several locations.
The little phatty blows compared to a vintage minimoog. And the voyager doesn't really sound like one either- any variation, any revision.

I like the voyager but there is a tight quality that it lacks in the bottom end. Its mushy relatively- muddy. And the originals CUT even when they are trying not to...

The soft synths aren't even close... But the people they pay in their ads will argue differently... Not that they don't have their own place... But the originals can be edgy and smooth all at the same time...

The original mini- from RA Moog to the last revisions in the late 70s ALL sound awesome. The only thing better is a modular...
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingus View Post
The little phatty blows compared to a vintage minimoog. And the voyager doesn't really sound like one either...
The voyager wasn't really meant to sound like the original minimoog, if it did what would be the point in that since you could go out and buy an Original minimoog anyway, there both cool and different IMO .
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie633 View Post
The voyager wasn't really meant to sound like the original minimoog, if it did what would be the point in that since you could go out and buy an Original minimoog anyway, there both cool and different IMO .
Thats 100% not true.

It was ABSOLUTELY supposed to be an original minimoog with added features, digital control, stability and effects.

Then they released basically the same synth engine in the "old school" to really try and hit that market.

But again, the intention was absolutely to cop the original mini.

I agree its a nice synth, but it is what it is.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

When you A/B any synth to it's soft counterpart is when you can really hear the difference!
Something is definitely missing in the imitation but, as someone said, they come somewhat close if placed & EQ'd properly in a mix.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

I have a model D, it sounds amazing.

I wanted one for years, and had the minimonsta, and Minimoog V which both had some nice presets, but it was never very friendly when it came down to making your own sounds and tweaking the knobs.. which is really what the Minimoog and other analog synths are about (obviously aside from their unique sound)

I got a real one last December and I have to say this thing just has a certain magic to it. the moment I turned it on and pressed key I knew exactly what the hype was all about. imperfections and air are part of the magic, and the fact that it operates like a living breathing creature.. in the real world. You will never get the same sound twice, and every time you turn it on and dial up something, anything, most likely it will be a brand new organic sound. Every function has a corresponding knob, right in front of you.

Another cool thing about it is that you have to tune it every once in a while, and sometimes if you don't tune it completely perfect, it makes it sound better over whatever your working on. something you'd have to do intentionally with the soft synths.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob The Viking View Post
I have a model D, it sounds amazing.

I wanted one for years, and had the minimonsta, and Minimoog V which both had some nice presets, but it was never very friendly when it came down to making your own sounds and tweaking the knobs.. which is really what the Minimoog and other analog synths are about (obviously aside from their unique sound)

I got a real one last December and I have to say this thing just has a certain magic to it. the moment I turned it on and pressed key I knew exactly what the hype was all about. imperfections and air are part of the magic, and the fact that it operates like a living breathing creature.. in the real world. You will never get the same sound twice, and every time you turn it on and dial up something, anything, most likely it will be a brand new organic sound. Every function has a corresponding knob, right in front of you.

Another cool thing about it is that you have to tune it every once in a while, and sometimes if you don't tune it completely perfect, it makes it sound better over whatever your working on. something you'd have to do intentionally with the soft synths.

Rob, do you like Techno by any chance?.
Old 21st December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
When you A/B any synth to it's soft counterpart is when you can really hear the difference!
Something is definitely missing in the imitation but, as someone said, they come somewhat close if placed & EQ'd properly in a mix.
DIVA and Monark offer a new class of Model D Minimoog emulation
Diva

Komplete : Synths & Samplers : Monark | Products
Old 22nd December 2013
Lives for gear

Minimoog VSTs:

Pro: looks like one
Con: doesn't sound like one
Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDingus View Post
The little phatty blows compared to a vintage minimoog. And the voyager doesn't really sound like one either- any variation, any revision.

I like the voyager but there is a tight quality that it lacks in the bottom end. Its mushy relatively- muddy. And the originals CUT even when they are trying not to...

The soft synths aren't even close... But the people they pay in their ads will argue differently... Not that they don't have their own place... But the originals can be edgy and smooth all at the same time...

The original mini- from RA Moog to the last revisions in the late 70s ALL sound awesome. The only thing better is a modular...
I have a couple Model D's and Voyager Signature and I'd say the Voyager can match the Model D's for bottom end (when using the feedback loop trick), with the Model D being slightly smoother on the top end.
If anything I find the Voyager more versatile than my Model D's, both are awesome! imho.
Old 25th December 2013
Gear Nut

If you're recording on a computer, I think the VST could be just as good. I have a Prodigy, Little Phatty, Voyager and have demo'd various VST emulators. You want to record both and listen to the recordings, not just listen live. Question is whether it's better to digitize an analog sound or use a digital instrument to begin with.
Old 25th December 2013
Gear Guru

I want a Voyager, perched on top of a real Rhodes. Just 'cause I'd feel cooler with it.
Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
Minimoog VSTs:

^This.^

dB
Old 25th December 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I want a Voyager, perched on top of a real Rhodes. Just 'cause I'd feel cooler with it.
This. That would be very swanky. I think there's a music shop around me that has a MKII for a silly good price. Maybe a late Christmas present to myself?
Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
Minimoog VSTs:

That's a pretty good assessment of the instant question...

However, I've always felt Arturia models (any of the models) as well as any other VST's have usable and unique sounds that the the hardware cannot, cannot create or exactly 'match' for that matter. (For better or worse)

Whilst true that most of the time the hardware sounds superior, I find I may prefer one to the other for a given task.

I have a fantastic Mini Moog and most of the hardware synths Arturia models and yet still find use for the emulations quite often.

I think it's a matter of using what sounds best regardless of the price, company, or model. It's a matter of using the right sound in the right place.

I think many people whom lack access to some of the vintage synths and plug-ins don't realize that if one can use anything one wants on a track they just choose what sounds best and then carry on.

I suppose an analogous situation would be having the keys to the a top studios mic locker and the ability to use any mic, yet choosing a SM-57 on a source as it's the best mic for a given programme source.

Just my view on the issue...

Cheers,
Alexa
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Nut

It does not only sound better, it also looks better.

The real deal has more lows, it goes deeper and has a more forward character.

It can sound good on it's own. Some productions only hold a Moog, a Fender Rhodes and programmed drums with a great leadvocal. It works.

I can't get this with the VST. Putting the VST trough outboard makes it a little better.

I have had the honour to work with this real moog in the picture. I have a Little Phatty at home.

Sometimes, when workload is heavy, I switch to the vst. But only when the sound is not a major part of the production.

The VST is easier to use, the presets are recallable.

The vintage moog sounds great, is not recallable, get off key when heated up but looks good and sounds great.

The Little Phatty sounds good, looks great and is easy to work with but again, when a production is full with melodies and chords with loads of stacks, I do not need a full sounding Moog.

But again, the real deal is a lot better soundwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Moog Mini Moog vs Minimoog vst-moog.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search