The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ASHLY eqs? Any good? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

ASHLY eqs? Any good?

Can anyone tell me about the Ashly PQ16 or PQ 26? What's the sound like? Would I like them for tracking or mixing? Any info would help. Thanks

Old 15th September 2011
For a parametric EQ, there nothnig special or great. There not terrible either.

It may help if you say what your looking for in an EQ and your budget.
Do you want the Eq to be transparent or do you need one that willadd some coloration to the sound sorce?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
For a parametric EQ, there nothnig special or great. There not terrible either.

It may help if you say what your looking for in an EQ and your budget.
Do you want the Eq to be transparent or do you need one that willadd some coloration to the sound sorce?

I was mostly asking because I can get the single channel version for $70. I was thinking for that cheap it might have some good surgical cut points. Something to help me shape the sound on cuts more then anything. If it has a cool sound on the boost then great. I have other eqs that are better at boosts though. Let me know what you think
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone else?
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ashley stuff is best suited for live rigs in my experince but it might do something you like personally.No rules.
You gotta buy it to find out.heh
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
I saw a Ashely stereo EQ at my local pawn shop all racked with a Lexicon mx200, alesis stereo compressor and a power amp. It was $200 for the lot, which wasn't really a bad deal, plus I kinda need a rack. Most of it's probably junk compared to the api/neve/apogee stuff I have, but I can see it coming in handy sometimes and a good way to learn better on a hardware eq. But yeah, that stuff is designed for a live rig, which isn't a bad thing to do on the weekends for extra cash.

I think it could serve many purposes not just for recording. Like home theater audio, Live rig and some studio.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
orban is much better

ashly cl comps are good filthy thick comps for bass though
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
orban is much better

ashly cl comps are good filthy thick comps for bass though
Haha yup. They are kinda dirty and work pretty well on P-basses and stuff. Depends the song, but you are right.

I have an old Ashly SC-66 EQ. It is pretty flexible, but when I first got it it needed a recap. I'm talking this thing is what 1980? It was rough...it was ancient, with no maintenance having been done.

Compared to their newer stuff, even with new caps, it is kinda dirty as well. In other words, if looking for an eq to put air on vocals, or OH's...this ain't the one. The top is too grainy. Bottom is OK.

Lotta eq's out there like this, mid level stuff. Symetrix too, although they are a tiny bit better. A lot of the same type designs and op amps.

The one in this price range that you can get used though, that is still pretty clean, is the RANE PE or PEQ stuff. It ain't very exciting, but at least you don't mangle the signal just by pressing the eq ON / IN button.

Some of these, just with eq in circuit with no eq applied, you can hear them degrade the sound. Not real cool.

On a side note Rane also made some cool comps, like the dc24.

john

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search