The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 512c + Buzz Essence or MA5 + MC77 ? 500 Series Preamps
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

API 512c + Buzz Essence or MA5 + MC77 ?

Had most of my equipment stolen so need to buy new gear. I´ve narrowed it down to what you see further down.

Which combination of these (preamp+comp) do you think would be most suitable for indie/pop/rock male vocal.

Preamp:
API 512c
MA5

Comp:
Buzz audio essence
Distressor
MC77

For example, the MA5 is quite "round & full", would that combine well with the quite aggressive MC77? Or should i pair the API, which is quite forward in character, with the clean and full Essence?

I don't know, but i think 512c + MC77 might be too aggressive on some stuff? As i´m rebuilding my setup and don't have enough cash for more than 1 pre + 1 comp right now, I need something quite versatile for starters.

Any answer is much appreciated.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

MA5 plus 1176 makes a nice rock vocal chain. Or if you stay 500 series the BAC-500 is nice for a comp.

The MC77 is a little too hifi for me, prefer 1176 for rock vox, others may disagree.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
MA5 plus 1176 makes a nice rock vocal chain.
Thanks. Do you think that combo would be too "colorful" for lighter stuff (i.e. acoustic gtr + voice) or does it work if you back off on the 1176? Just interested in how versatile this setup would be.

And MA5 + BAC 500 that would be very much color, right?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popkid View Post
Thanks. Do you think that combo would be too "colorful" for lighter stuff (i.e. acoustic gtr + voice) or does it work if you back off on the 1176? Just interested in how versatile this setup would be.
It's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popkid View Post
And MA5 + BAC 500 that would be very much color, right?
Not necessarily, the BAC-500 is pretty versatile. But if versatile is truly what you want your best bet might be a brit modded distressor. Maybe also throw a different pre in the mix, the juggernaut seems to be pretty versatile.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
I agree with Johnny. Didn't like the MC77 but really dig the older 1176 UREI etc.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

i have used all three compressors. The buzz essence is one of the best vocal comps I have ever used.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search