The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So...why would I want Pro Tools HD?
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

So...why would I want Pro Tools HD?

OK, right now I've got a brand new 27 inch quad core i7 imac loaded up with 16 gb of ram running Pro Tools 9 with everything connected through an apogee symphony io system. I experience absolutely no latency, no lag, never run out of ram/cpu processing power for virtual instruments or plugs....so what exactly would make me want to get a pro tools HD rig? Is there something I'm missing with that?

Any thoughts/reasons?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

192 Audio Tracks
512 Midi Tracks
128 Instrument Tracks
64 Video Tracks
Scalable external DSP processing
Automatic Delay Compensation on hardware inserts
VCA mixing
160 channels of I/O
Input monitoring
TrackPunch / DestructivePunch
Solo bus AFL/PFL
Advanced automation (including Punch, Capture, Write on stop, Write to all enable, Back and play, Glide automation, Copy to send, Auto join, Auto match, and Preview)
7.1 surround panner
SYNC HD support
9-pin machine control
Ultra Low Latency ( See chart)
http://www.avid.com/static/resources...ilyLatency.png
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
192 Audio Tracks
512 Midi Tracks
128 Instrument Tracks
64 Video Tracks
Scalable external DSP processing
Automatic Delay Compensation on hardware inserts
VCA mixing
160 channels of I/O
Input monitoring
TrackPunch / DestructivePunch
Solo bus AFL/PFL
Advanced automation (including Punch, Capture, Write on stop, Write to all enable, Back and play, Glide automation, Copy to send, Auto join, Auto match, and Preview)
7.1 surround panner
SYNC HD support
9-pin machine control
Ultra Low Latency ( See chart)
http://www.avid.com/static/resources...ilyLatency.png
The fact your avatar is the PT icon made this all the better
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

If Protools is limited to 192 tracks I see it more as a reason to avoid it than to be impressed. The plugin cost is another strong reason.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
If Protools is limited to 192 tracks I see it more as a reason to avoid it than to be impressed. The plugin cost is another strong reason.
192 full on tracks with zero stress on your CPU so it frees up your host CPU for native RTAS plug-in processing.
HD systems come bundled with plenty of free plug-ins.
There are tons of PT discount plug-ins sellers on eBay.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicjohnny View Post
OK, right now I've got a brand new 27 inch quad core i7 imac loaded up with 16 gb of ram running Pro Tools 9 with everything connected through an apogee symphony io system. I experience absolutely no latency, no lag, never run out of ram/cpu processing power for virtual instruments or plugs....so what exactly would make me want to get a pro tools HD rig? Is there something I'm missing with that?

Any thoughts/reasons?
I would say that you're fine with what you have.

Pro Tools HD is very expensive when you compare it to Native systems.

So the people who "need" it, usually know.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

192 tracks with no strain on the CPU sounds nice, I must admit. On the other hand, a simple PC is disgustingly powerful today.

My last DAW could run 300+ tracks with 8 native plugs on each at 64 samples buffer size (which for all practical uses means zero latency) and go rock solid forever with no hickup or single audio glitch.

Since then I built a much faster DAW and I'm absolutely sure it could do whatever I want with 192 tracks without breaking a sweat.

Also, the ADC thing that is mentioned, do you still have to manually adjust latency in PT for the plugins? It just seems like a real waste of studio time, and doesn't strike me as very pro. Plugin AND hardware ADC should be standard in all DAWs, even protools HD.
Old 15th September 2011
When all new macs go 64 bit will all the 32 bit Accel cards be obsolete? I'm not a big PT guy (Samplitude and Nuendo primarily, with a PT LE system). And I'm on PC (it's been working great that way for me for 11 years). I could get some PCI-X Accel cards for cheap but am worried about them going the same way that a Mix system went when HD came out.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:

Any thoughts/reasons?
If you're happy on an iMac with your rig, you don't need it.

Personally, I wouldn't either for mixing/overdubbing purposes.

Were I tracking a band, I'd want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I would say that you're fine with what you have.

Pro Tools HD is very expensive when you compare it to Native systems.

So the people who "need" it, usually know.
Indeed.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Any thoughts/reasons?
You don't need it. Unless as PM says, you're doing tracking for bands etc.

As far as mixing and power etc. I went from an HD3 Accel rig to a Duet and a laptop w/PT 9 and haven't missed it for one second.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

For high track count tracking sessions, HD eliminates a lot of variables. There is definitely lower latency with HD as well. Most people with personal setups doing a lot of production are saying they're happy with a new i7 iMac with a Symphony I/O or something similar. These guys are typically doing a lot of production, and only tracking a couple tracks at a time.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Good points everybody. Contrary to what some people have guessed I'm actually doing a lot of full band production and even stuff that's (relatively) input intensive like tracking full drum kits or a guitar/bass/drums simultaneously for scratch/preproduction.

From what I've seen, if I were running a large format analog console and needed to spread out a mix across a hundred tracks, I'd probably go for HD, but right now I've (for better or worse) got a C|24 so hand's on mixing is pretty easy even without a full analog console.

Also, I definitely get the people who use it for surround work, but I've got the complete production toolkit so I have access to that (for the very limited post work that I do) and to the increased track count like on an HD rig.

I think the general consensus that "if you need it, you know it" seems to be correct. I am a bit curious to try out HEAT, but I purchased Slate Digital's VCC and am thoroughly happy with it....but I do wish Avid would come out with a native heat just so we could compare.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search