The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
monitors MUST be centered to the wall? Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

monitors MUST be centered to the wall?

I recently read that your monitors should be "centered" to the wall they are on. That fact doesn't seem to be drilled into me as much as some of the other general rules when I read about monitor placement.

Is centering the monitors in the room definitely the best way to go? Does anyone know of any authoritative literature that references this idea?

I googled images of mix rooms and indeed most of the monitors seem to be placemed dead in the center of the room, however I was able to find quite a few pictures of big studios with huge SSL boards that were not dead center. They were off to the left or right in order to leave a walkway on the side.

Can anyone confirm or add to the idea that it is necessary to place your monitors in the center of the wall and can you elaborate on the benefits for us? Thanks guys.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
Think about this picture but the sound waves passing the dude and bouncing around. In a perfect world, If you are perfectly centered, the sound waves will mirror each other and bounce back to you at the same time.

http://www.m-audio.com/news/en_us-2030.html
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Think about this picture but the sound waves passing the dude and bouncing around. In a perfect world, If you are perfectly centered, the sound waves will mirror each other and bounce back to you at the same time.

M-AUDIO - Understanding Studio Monitors: Placement
Thanks, JoRillo,

That link is really helpful. It makes a lot of sense. I have seen Bob Hodas say that the monitors should be centered as well.

However, this article at the real traps website seems to contradict the centering idea.
RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room

"...while left-right symmetry is important for proper imaging, you could optionally offset your listening position a few inches to either side to avoid being exactly halfway between the left and right side walls"

The real traps article seems to imply that being directly in the center will create nulls.

That disagreement is what has me confused. Who do you think is right?
Old 16th September 2011
Deleted User
Here's Bob Hodas on Pensado's place:

- Pensado's Place - #21 - The secrets behind tuning your room! - YouTube
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by capproach View Post
However, this article at the real traps website seems to contradict the centering idea.
RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room
Not at all! A few inches is a small amount in a room 15 feet wide. As I explained in the article, that's mainly to avoid bass nulls. Versus imaging, which is what symmetry at mid and high frequencies addresses.

--Ethan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search