The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SPDIF ADC Connection Help! Condenser Microphones
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

SPDIF ADC Connection Help!

Hey guys,

So here's the deal,

Within the next week I'll be upgrading my equipment.
I've been looking at upgrading my mic (studio projects c-3 multi pattern) for a long while now and have come to the conclusion that it's either going to be...

Stella CM-6 (who can resist that kind of price for a tube mic)?
Neumann TLM 102
ADK TC Tube Condenser

I'll also be getting a pre-amp in the form of either:

GAP PRE-73
ISA One (will the ADC version be required)
Daking Mic Pre One

So I guess my question lies in the 'basic chain' area, and considering connections to my current audio interface.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 audio interface: http://www.futuremusic.com/news/imag...arlett-8i6.jpg (back & front pics)

Say I plug one of these mic's into one of the above pre amps, how do I get it going into my Scarlett Interface? Do I need a converter to accurately reproduce the quality from the preamp? I pretty much have no idea about balanced/unbalanced connections and what I will need cable wise so as to not lose any of the 'goodness' that the new mic/pre combo will produce and the ending result coming into my DAW.

If I plug a mic into the pre and then chain it into my Scarlett 8i6 interface, won't the Scarlett 8i6 pre amp still be working? So i'd still have that 'coloration' from the interface plus an extremely hot signal going in? Is a SPDIF pre-amp a necessity to get it working and connected properly with my interface?

I thought I should ask these questions before I go ahead and spend over 1k, as I want to get everything that I'll need (cables etc) so that I can have it all connected and working out of the box.

I'd appreciate any responses, and value any advice that can be given. Also, I ask for your patience with me. :(

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search