The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
looking for a surgical eq Equalisers (HW)
Old 15th September 2011
Deleted 651cf92
looking for a surgical eq

hi all,
I tend to mix alot of work recorded by other people so i dont have a whole lot of control over the material that i get given so have decided that it is time to get an outboard eq to help clean up what i have. up until now i have been using the waves ssl E series channel strip, which i like a lot for its flexibility but a hardware version is out of my price range. so i am looking for something in the £500 used range, might be able to push my budget slightly but not a whole lot.

i have considered the diy route but i dont have a whole lot of spare time on my hands and i am already building an 1176 clone. currently on ebay there a two channel four band fully parametric eq that was taken out of an old bbc desk built be clyde. this seams like a good option, but wanting to know what else is out there. i saw a tla eq2 going for 500 recently and they look to be very good.

thanks in advance
Old 15th September 2011
For precision surgical stuff it's hard to beat a linear phase eq (which is really only possible digitally, therefore I think a plugin is the way to go). PSP Neon is one of many.
Old 15th September 2011
Deleted 651cf92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
For precision surgical stuff it's hard to beat a linear phase eq (which is really only possible digitally, therefore I think a plugin is the way to go). PSP Neon is one of many.
sorry, should have said in my original post that i am trying to move out of the box. words can not explain how much i hate using a mouse and looking at a computer screen.

i just hope i dont get a barrage of replies telling me plug ins are the way forward.
Old 15th September 2011
Fair enough ... Speck ASC-T is a good start ...
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Great River EQ-2NV - very versatile for both boosting and carving out the bad stuff.
Old 15th September 2011
Deleted 651cf92
the great river goes for over 2 grand, way out of my price range.
looking at a Summit Audio FeQ-50, does any one have expiriance with them? i like the idea of the half racks, if it sat next to a speck that would work brilliantly on a single rack space.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

A decent scalable EQ is going to be tough to find at that price point. Anything based on the Neve 10 series (ie the Great River posted above) is a bad move. Not surgical in the slightest. If you can pony up the extra cash I'd look for a used GML 8200.
Old 15th September 2011
Deleted 651cf92
[QUOTE=ToxicAvenger69;7032931 If you can pony up the extra cash I'd look for a used GML 8200.[/QUOTE]

im not mixing the new kings of leon album!!!

i mix low budget demos at the moment. i know that quality gear is important but four grand is about 6 months earning

i do like the sound of both the specks and the summits, any chances someone could post clips?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Low budget -- DEQ 2496 --easy to use and sounds great ..

We also incorporate a stereo set of Speck ASC ...
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicAvenger69 View Post
Anything based on the Neve 10 series (ie the Great River posted above) is a bad move. Not surgical in the slightest.
Absolutely wrong on the Great River. It does surgical VERY well.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Haven't used it but I heard the Empirical Labs Lil Freq is great at sculpting
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Lil Freq absolutely. It can be extremely sharp or very broad. Not to mention all the other features too. Can't live without it these days.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonmixing View Post
Absolutely wrong on the Great River. It does surgical VERY well.
I stand corrected. Was thinking of a different box with a 1081 layout.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search