The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Electro Harmonix pedal - similar plugin? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Electro Harmonix pedal - similar plugin?

Does anyone know if there is a plugin that achieves similar effects to the Electro Harmonix POG pedal?

If not the same exact thing (octaves and such) - something harmonic.

I am looking to make some simple keyboard sounds thicker and more interesting sounding.

Any recommendations are welcome!

Thank you.
Old 15th September 2011
Just use your pitch shifting algorithmn in your DAW. Offline processing is usually a LOT better sounding than realtime FX, which have to be compromised to keep the latency short-ish.

Also be aware that a lot of pitchshift FX that might work ok on single string guitar solos can turn to crap when presented with polyphonic sources.

The thing about digital pitch shifting is that audio data has to be 'thrown away' in order to slow the pitch down without extending time, or 'invented' in order to speed the pitch up and stretch the time. The algorithm has to figure out where best to insert or delete the data - so it's a lot easier on very simple audio waveforms. The more complex the waveform gets, the more the algorithmn struggles to do a good job without introducing glitches.

The very best possible algorithmns are very CPU intensive, and can take hours of processing - but for quality results, this is the way. (Reaper has a very good selection of algorithmns, and the high quality ones really take a very long time).

Back to reality ...

With keyboard stuff there is a very simple solution ... just transpose the MIDI, and layer multiple takes.

Why make life hard for yourself.
Old 15th September 2011
Guitar rig 4(or 3) software models the EH microsynth which I believe is the monophonic analog version of the hog. Cant remember if the guitar rig version is polyphonic. Its a decent model of the pedal (I own the real microsynth).
Old 15th September 2011
POG Review | Electro-Harmonix | Guitar Effects | Reviews @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

Note: "Use the Electro-Harmonix POG Polyphonic Octave Generator pedal to add one or 2 octaves up, and one octave down and blend all of them together with straight-through signal. Works on chords."

And the comment below:

"...there are some strange, audible artifacts present when very harmonically complex chords are played. The LPF helps attenuate some of these odd-sounding artifacts, which, to me, makes the unit much more usable than it would have been otherwise."

For studio use in a DAW, I really suggest using quality pitch shifting ... offline.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
Electro Harmonix pedal - similar plugin?

Check out John Mayer's In Repair where he strums chords through a Pog. It has a somewhat unique sound. There's a video of him and Charlie Hunter fooling around in the studio and coming up with this song.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

I have one of these and I love it, but it has very little to do with adding clean octaves. They're definitely not perfect or clean, they're a different kind of awesome.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

There is absolutely no way they could make a plugin that sounds the same as this pedal. It has way to many possibilities of how it could sound to model it accurately. You might be able to figure out a similar effect, but it won't sound the same as the pedal.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Guitar Rig! I will give that a whirl.

Any pitchshifter plugin suggestions then?

I just use the standard **** in Digidesign PT9000.
Old 3rd November 2018
Here for the gear

The pedal IS software

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoyot View Post
There is absolutely no way they could make a plugin that sounds the same as this pedal. It has way to many possibilities of how it could sound to model it accurately. You might be able to figure out a similar effect, but it won't sound the same as the pedal.
This is a digital pedal, i.e. a dsp processor. That means that the entire pedal is, in fact, a mini computer. Therefore a dsp processing plugin, made by the good people of EHX, should sound exactly the same as this pedal. I can see why they don't, given the software piracy, but they could easily make an entire VST collection of the 9-series pedals.
Old 3rd November 2018
Gear Nut

I just picked up one of these so I can more readily integrate pedals into my mixes. You could use a POG with that I reckon.

Far as plugins, I use the Soundtoys Littler AlterBoy to good effect. I've weirdly only used it on vocals though, so I can't say how well it'll work on keys.
Old 4th November 2018
Gear Guru

My recommendation is the Line 6 Helix native software.

It's a little bit expensive, but it has a Pog as well as some other pitch shifting options.

In addition to every other effect known to man and amp sims.

This is "the" guitar FX plugin if you're looking for an all-in-one

I tend to use pedals, myself. In the box usually I'm only doing mixing, and maybe some reverb/delay. That's just how I work since I have tons of pedals.

The Line 6 thing impressed me though, like a really good multi FX, same code as their floor units but in a plugin.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search