Old tlm 103 vs new tlm 103
Old 20th November 2011
Geariophile

The left one looks normal and the right one like a curious skinny thing. Never seen a skinny one like that. Odd.
Old 20th November 2011
Lives for gear

Yep, definitely different. Mine is in the 6000, too (which makes me wonder if they started at 0, but that's another story) and is like the one on the left, including the matte screw thread near the bottom.

Could the right be a counterfeit or are all new ones like that?

BTW does Martin Schneider from Neumann post here?

Henk
Old 20th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT5 View Post
First ; I post this in high end as I think the members here now mikes way better than the 103 as well, and can probably judge this better than some guys in other GS sections that own a bunch of chinese crap Mikes and nothing else ... (don't want to offend anybody though)

Has anybody else noticed that older 103's look and sound very different from the new onces? I bought 2 when they where just on the market. I recently had them side by side with 2 new onces. The older once are a couple off mm's longer and slightly wider. The mesh protecting the capsule is different (new onces have much 'finer' mesh). And even the capsules look slightly different.

I have read a lot of bad stuff about 103's. Mostly about it being harsh sounding. I never understood why. My 103's are on the bright side but certainly not harsh. Now I heard the new onces and I understand the critisism.

Does anybody know if Neumann changed factories, capsule, electronics...??? I can post some examples if somebody wants to hear for themselves.
I have a vintage 103 just FYI. And I handle it with white gloves.
Old 20th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT5 View Post
First ; I post this in high end as I think the members here now mikes way better than the 103 as well, and can probably judge this better than some guys in other GS sections that own a bunch of chinese crap Mikes and nothing else ... (don't want to offend anybody though)
...really?...

...seems "a bunch of chinese crap Mikes" mugged your TLM103...call the cops!

Stellar CM4 CM6 Review | recording hacks
Attached Thumbnails
Old tlm 103 vs new tlm 103-stellar-vox.jpg   Old tlm 103 vs new tlm 103-stellar-harpguitar.jpg  
Old 20th November 2011
Gear addict

Amazing? Isn't it? Both bought at a respectable pro audio store so nothing of eBay / chinese ripoffs ...
Old 20th November 2011
Gear addict

Well come one. We all know that older = better! Just a shame this doesn't quite blanketly apply to romantic partners too.
Old 17th December 2014
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
That's because the 102 is a very different mic. from the 103
How so?
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbodyinc View Post
How so?
In every respect:

- totally different capsule for a start - the 102 is edge-terminated and the 103 is centre-terminated.

- different body of a very different size.
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Hey, I remember this thread and I'm still intrigued.

Any news?
Old 17th December 2014
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

We had one of the first TLM-103's at Mercenary. I recall this being one of the worst condenser mic's I have ever heard. Unless you were mic'n up a rotted piece of wet tree bark in a damp cave, I wouldn't ever touch this mic. I thought it was satanic.
Old 17th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
I recall this being one of the worst condenser mic's I have ever heard. Unless you were mic'n up a rotted piece of wet tree bark in a damp cave, I wouldn't ever touch this mic.
Perfect

Quote:
I thought it was satanic.

You're on fire today!
Old 17th December 2014
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Perfect

You're on fire today!
call it like I hear it b! ha!
I wonder how much ear flesh I have lost testing this dumb "squawkrophone"...
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
We had one of the first TLM-103's at Mercenary. I recall this being one of the worst condenser mic's I have ever heard. Unless you were mic'n up a rotted piece of wet tree bark in a damp cave, I wouldn't ever touch this mic. I thought it was satanic.
No need to sugarcoat it. Tell us what you really think.
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
I thought it was satanic.
Satanic indeed. On voiceovers, I've heard them make noises that definitely did not emerge from the announcer's mouth.
Old 17th December 2014
Gear addict

[QUOTE=Doc Mixwell;10645570] I recall this being one of the worst condenser mic's I have ever heard. [/QUOT]

I take it this was after the infamous falling out between Mercenary and Neumann??
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Adam's over the top rejection is typical of someone who's deeply in love.
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
like anyone at mercenary would know what a good sound is
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
like anyone at mercenary would know what a good sound is
No comment. Just wanted it to be delete-proof.
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
No comment. Just wanted it to be delete-proof.
I think their constant pimping of Avalon 737 and their "Chinese" km 84 were enough proof of this... As well as the constant bashing of Vintech and other decent products.. the best one was when someone posted a clip of a vintech and a great river nv and he couldn't tell the difference
forget what site it was on, but it was absolutely hilarious... bunch of jokers there.... I don't think anyone is crazy about the sound of tlm103 or any Sennhieser version of Nuemmans for that matter... but mercancies constant unwarranted bashing of products like Nuemman, focusrite, vintech and many other products was absolutely tasteless. Too be honest I have never heard one decent recording from anyone there. I even worked with one of the guys there on a project one time... It was like pal, stick with selling because recording is definitely NOT your thing.
Old 17th December 2014
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

HA!!!!!!!
Old 17th December 2014
Adam recorded one of my favorite records. Don't know whether he used a 737 or a km69. Don't care. Tunes are great.
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Worst mic I've ever hard. Bright, edgy, like broken glass. Even <$100 hand-held dynamics sounded better than it.
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

and here we go again...
Old 17th December 2014
Lives for gear

Alternatively, now that this old thread is revived anyway, we could in fact focus on the original question.
It doesn't really matter if it's a piece of $#!1 or the greatest mic in the world. The question is was it changed?

Believe it or not, I mailed Neumann to ask. Yeah, shoot me. Well, actually I mailed for dating of a some microphones (good service BTW), and yes, among those was an early TLM103. So while I was at it I thought I might as well ask:

"BTW, there’s some rumor that the TLM 103 changed slightly over the years (e.g. slightly different dimensions). Is this true?"

And the kind lady from the head office replied as follows:

"Unfortunately, we have no further information on the history of this microphone."

Old 17th December 2014
The 103, old or new, is a great mic for broadcast -commercial VO and such - the top end boost really pays off when it hits the transmitter processing and the airwaves. But there are certainly other mics that offer similar, if not almost the same boost. Seems the 103 is popular for that application because 1) it's a Neumann ... and 2) it's not so expensive. But the 102 is coming on strong around here for that same usage and it's easy to get one for under $500 bucks. In that price range it's pretty hard to beat.
Old 18th December 2014
Lives for gear

I bought one of the first TLM 103s back in the 90s, it was one of the first 100 microphones built andmy first Neumann, I was excited at the time. fletcher, the terror of pro.rec.audio (a bbs) said how much it sucked. I didn't want to believe him, but in hindsight it did in fact suck. I can't imagine the newer tLM 103s being any worse
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

Once again, I'll be compelled to admit that I use my TLM103 all the time on acoustic guitar. Must be something wrong with my ears, coz I love it and have done pretty well with the tracks I've used it on… And I've done shoot outs with my KM84, U67, 414EB, and many other lesser classics.

Granted, I've never preferred the TLM103 on anything else. Certainly not right for my vocals, or drums… But on acoustic, it always seems to do the trick. It's also a crazy loud mic… but I'm not usually trying to overdrive the preamp on acoustics anyway.

So maybe the mic does suck. But not on everything… Not all the time. :-)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search