The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
amy winehouse tony bennett mics Dynamic Microphones
Old 14th September 2011
  #1
Lives for gear
 
richgilb's Avatar
 

amy winehouse tony bennett mics

Anyone tell me what these mics are in the video? I assume it is an easy one for Neumann freaks and the like?


Amy Winehouse and Tony Bennett's duet: a boldly improvised performance - Telegraph

The article makes me think that they may be the mics used for the takes, not chosen for aesthetics. Actually, they are quite ugly to me! Cue protests.....
Old 14th September 2011
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
Anyone tell me what these mics are in the video? I assume it is an easy one for Neumann freaks and the like?


Amy Winehouse and Tony Bennett's duet: a boldly improvised performance - Telegraph

The article makes me think that they may be the mics used for the takes, not chosen for aesthetics. Actually, they are quite ugly to me! Cue protests.....
Gee, I wonder if they could possibly be U47s.....

Yes, it is kind of obvious...5mins googling neumann pictures would have told you, it's probably THE most famous of the classic Neumann valves - along with the U67 and to a lesser extent the M50/49.

EDIT now if someone actually says they're U48s or something I'm going to look like an arse...
Old 14th September 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
richgilb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Gee, I wonder if they could possibly be U47s.....

Yes, it is kind of obvious...5mins googling neumann pictures would have told you, it's probably THE most famous of the classic Neumann valves - along with the U67 and to a lesser extent the M50/49.

EDIT now if someone actually says they're U48s or something I'm going to look like an arse...

Abbey Road does seem to list 12 47 and 48 mics. In other words, it looks like you could possibly be!
Old 15th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 

.............look like 47's......had seen the album reviewed recently.....so did a trawl through youtube of various vids with various artists he duetted with......and the ploy seems to be the same throughout.......fly in....read the lyrics off the sheet.....throw up whatever mcs are to hand and shoot the video......cheap and maybe even effective......he popped into Andrea Bocelli's Tuscan villa for a quick karaoke version of stranger in paradise.....looked lke 47's......I know that's what his engneer always tracks him on....thought they looked very shiny....clones?

http://youtu.be/WFrUsa5SUv0

Last edited by butterfly; 15th September 2011 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: youtube vid not posted
Old 15th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
Anyone tell me what these mics are in the video? I assume it is an easy one for Neumann freaks and the like?


Amy Winehouse and Tony Bennett's duet: a boldly improvised performance - Telegraph

The article makes me think that they may be the mics used for the takes, not chosen for aesthetics. Actually, they are quite ugly to me! Cue protests.....
Yes U47s are horrible looking things. if you have any sitting around, I'd be happy to swap them for something much better looking like an SM57.
Old 15th September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
fhames's Avatar
 

I saw that clip on The Nightly News and thought they were 47's.






Bryant - Hames Music
Old 15th September 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I'm going to look like an arse...
Going to?...

Well the future is now.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 15th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
gear is cool's Avatar
they look like U47s - but maybe flyingjay has some wisdom or experience with the mics that they are and would like to share that...
Old 15th September 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
richgilb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Yes U47s are horrible looking things. if you have any sitting around, I'd be happy to swap them for something much better looking like an SM57.
Well this is why I asked actually. As long as your SM57 is a superior fake (it must be one of the early ones, though), you've got a deal. I just can't bear the self-noise on it.
Old 15th September 2011
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
Abbey Road does seem to list 12 47 and 48 mics. In other words, it looks like you could possibly be!
Yes, I used to go into the mic collection every day...! Actually come to think of it I did meet Tony Bennett there as well, though not this recently...
Old 15th September 2011
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
Baroque's Avatar
When I saw this video, I was appalled. Are we to believe that these two actually track vocals without headphones? What are they playing the instrumentation through a loud speaker?

No pop filters?

Lastly, Tony Bennett is moving all over the place on that mic. He even leans off to the side, completely out of the mic's pickup. If this video was the actually footage of them recording, it would be one of the worst studio recordings ever.

Obviously it's lip synced, I get that. But those cheesy video shoots always bother me.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump