The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
did a monitor shoutout today Studio Monitors
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

did a monitor shoutout today

compared the adam a7x, focal cms-50, focal solo 6, neumann kh120, and dynaudio bm6a's.

long story short, it came down to the kh120s, bm6as, and solo 6s. the solo 6s are a bit out of my price range, and at this point i was really splitting hairs between the 3, so it has come down the the dynaudios and and kh120s.

love how flat the kh120s are. everything sounds deep, clear, and boring. never heard such a neutral monitor in my life.

love the fuller range of the bm6as. felt the stereo imaging was a bit clearer and the extended bass was nice. highs felt a bit hyped, but not compared to the other monitors, only compared the the kh120s (which made everything sound hyped in comparison!).

ultimately, they are very different monitors, both great, and il probably pick up the first used pair of either that comes my way.

just thought id share my experience with those facing the same decision.
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Addict

was it the bm6mk1's or mk2's?
I prefer the mk1's..
I also found that you can't really push the bm6a mk2 very loud, the limiter clips easily, same for the bm12a's.

Anyway i've owned both and i've always been a dynaudio fan but i think the KH 120's are a step above, more accurate especially down the LF's, the main difference is you can hear much more depth with the KH's ..
very neutral indeed but if your mix is good, it will sound great (stereo, depth..) and not boring...
Old 1st November 2011
Gear Maniac

CMS 65 blows away the A7x and BM6A in all but the lowest frequencies. Solo6 blows them away at any frequency. Neumann's I can't speak for, never heard them.

BM6A
A/B with any Focal and you'll quickly notice the mids are REALLY sunken back on the BM6As (not just in a preference sense but they're not audible enough to really work with in much detail - unless you do some kinda music which lacks mids?) ... That's been my experience, I work at a shop that has BM5As and the full Focal line (about to buy Solo6).

ADAM A7x
I used ADAM A7 for a couple years and P22As as well, and am familiar w/ the A7x as well. While you will hear BRIGHTER highs on these than anything else and you will hear really high pitch stuff in the recording that you've never heard before (which I should note will be audible on less than 5% of stereos out there, including studio monitors and most home hifi), and while you might get more sense of transient impact, I find them to be not just "accurate" but "hyped" or perhaps "magnified" is a better way to think of it. There's a sense of almost tape hiss over everything (as opposed to the Focals which are bright and open but no excess air is INTRODUCED into the sound).

FOCALs
Are barely carried anywhere, if you haven't heard them in person, order some and listen for yourself. They are seriously a different league. There is very little sense of "that sound is coming from that cab". Turn them on next to a bunch of other speakers and it's hard to tell which is on... Lows are there and they die very quickly (as they should, well damped). Again, no frequency masks any other (adams upper mids/highs distract from/cover up some other frequencies in my experience). Blah, blah, you should buy some from a place w/ a return policy and hear them.

One other weird question. When did the Neumanns come out? Notice their glass-ish sandwich cone? Are they following Focal technology? Just a question, I have no clue who invented it.
Old 1st November 2011
Gear Maniac

PS. very important note if you rock loud. THE SOLO6s HAVE NO LIMITERS!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search