The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrade studio gear or music gear? Condenser Microphones
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Upgrade studio gear or music gear?

OK, so money is freakin tight but I want some upgrades.

Studio is nothing to write home about but it gets the job done well. especially on the mixing side. I usually only trackmy acoustic and vox at home, and soon electric guitar. Drums programmed

firestudio mobile
good plugs
KRK 6's (good enough for my budget now)
An ART pre
AT 4033
AT 2020
AT 2021

so it obviously needs some work, but in the instrument department I am slacking too. Ive been playing too long and am pretty darn good to have cheap ass instruments

Anyways,

acoustic is a Brownsville (flame away) that ive set up really nicely and i actually dig the sound but yea, it was 100 bucks..

Fender MIM Strat

Vox VT 30

I want to get a new acoustic, a nice gig worthy amp, and possibly a les paul...
on that same token, I want some more mics, a better interface with more inputs, room treatment, etc....

What would you guys get first??

Im torn because money is so damn tight!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

well, you could upgrade your studio, and get pristine recordings of crappy instruments, or you could upgrade the sources, and have somewhat-pristine recordings of better instruments. you decide?
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma View Post
well, you could upgrade your studio, and get pristine recordings of crappy instruments, or you could upgrade the sources, and have somewhat-pristine recordings of better instruments. you decide?
Exactly right! Listen to your favorite recordings. Are all of them pristine, even 1/2 of them? Even recordings that are pristine, if the music sucks, who cares! Obviously the best is to have both, and over time you actually can get both, but for now . . .
I've learned to read between the lines on equipment, and I use stuff that is High End but isn't and never was in vogue, you can find A LOT of gear that fits into this category.
The truth is that if the music is right then even the instruments can suck and it doesn't matter.

Best of luck

DP
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
As a guitarist turned hobbyist songwriter, I find myself in the same position so often. I'd say go instruments first. Instruments that inspire you and bring out creativity that hasn't yet been tapped into. Then you would have a lot more to capture with the gear you have, and the gear that is still to come.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Awesome advice, thanks guys!

I'd rather have a good recording of great instruments than a great recording of **** instruments

Never looked at it that way So I guess the mic purchases and interface purchases will be put on hold, and I should look into some decent musical purchases.

Darth, what were you talking about when you said high end instrument that arent in vogue can be had? Can ya please share?

Jim
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Always...even without the arty farty component. A better instrument/amp/keyboard/instrumentX also produces a better recording.

Source, source, source.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

I agree 100%!! Get the instruments!!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm in alignment with the other posts here. When the bug hit me to get more serious about recording, the first thing I did was upgrade the instruments I was playing. The instrument is the inspiration, it's the thing you love. The gear is the tool.
Old 15th September 2011
I think the marginal improvement in mics is less than the improvement you could get in your instruments. A MIM Strat is not the same as an American strat in sound. And as I'm sure you know, no two are the same anyway -- you have to play them. A Les Paul is quite a different instrument than a Strat.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Instruments first, then mics, then preamps, then conversion, then then eq and compression, then summing box.

Assuming you already have monitoring and acoustic treatment, which is no. 1
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Awesome! Thanks a ton guys!

I think I know where my $$ will be spent in the near future

Jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search