The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Daking Mic Pre IV Channel one dead Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Daking Mic Pre IV Channel one dead

Yup, channel one is not showing any activity at all. Two months past the warranty and no love.

I've read about others having similar problems with the pre IV.
My question is, did anyone happen to rectify this without shipping to thermal relief and paying $100/hr? Im in a jam!

Im open to suggestions as to things to try too.

Thank sluts!

Last edited by mybrother; 14th September 2011 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Does that mean you tried contacting them and got no joy? That's a shame - my experience with those Daking guys was excellent, but I was close to warranty.

The issue I had (Mic Pre One) was apparently that the ribbon connection to the Gain knob was loose. If the design is common maybe that's something you could check, maybe it's slipped off.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

They'll definitely fix it even if its slightly out of warranty. Geoff is a good dude.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
They'll definitely fix it even if its slightly out of warranty. Geoff is a good dude.
That was my experience. Heck, Geoff is in on the emails suggesting solutions, asking me to try stuff, and then getting the RA to send it to Vegas for repair. It doesn't get better than that. I'm a fan, and their gear happens to be the **** too.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Well, all Sweetwater will do is ship it to Thermal Relief for me, which of course means more time away. Daking just asked if it were a warranty issue and said it needs to go to TRD. I was looking for a little more info than that.

I plugged it in again (I had brought it home) just hoping for a miracle and I was mistaken. There IS some activity. A VERY distorted sounding signal comes thru at very high volume. not distorted as in clipping but a very broken up nasty sound. The other thing is that when powering up the meter went up and down like it usually did which is something that wasn't happening at first. Still no meter when fed a signal though.

This hurts, Im hoping they will come thru for me but it sounds like Im on my own. Kinda crazy since this thing has been in the rack since the day I purchased it but hey, thats business I suppose.

I'd love to hear from anyone else that may have suggestions but Im sure theres not much more to say.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
That was my experience. Heck, Geoff is in on the emails suggesting solutions, asking me to try stuff, and then getting the RA to send it to Vegas for repair. It doesn't get better than that. I'm a fan, and their gear happens to be the **** too.
I love hearing stories like this!

I agree the gear is great. Jury is still out on the service though. We'll see, hopefully won't be left high and dry.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybrother View Post
I love hearing stories like this!

I agree the gear is great. Jury is still out on the service though. We'll see, hopefully won't be left high and dry.

Thanks for the replies.
Hey My Brother
Hi this is Brad at TransAudio-we are the folks who supply Daking and handle the warranty repairs through Thermal. Are you the one wrote Geoff via email this morning? He has been out but told me about your email. Your Mic Pre 4 is 2 yrs and 2 months old right?

Thermal is the best place to do Daking service. Our approach to tech support is to try very hard to do the right thing. The warranty is 1 year but I'd send it to Thermal and see what it is? Maybe its something simple?

Brad
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Well, looks like I'm on my own with this one. Just to clarify, it's the Sweetwater warranty that the pre is two months past. Daking won't show any love. I understand business is business but I was hoping to have gotten into something different this time. Thing has been in the rack since I purchased it, I treat my stuff with care so it's just hard for me to be ok with something like this just ceasing to function after a couple years with no recourse.

Looks like I have a Mic Pre 3 now...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybrother View Post
Well, looks like I'm on my own with this one. Just to clarify, it's the Sweetwater warranty that the pre is two months past. Daking won't show any love. I understand business is business but I was hoping to have gotten into something different this time. Thing has been in the rack since I purchased it, I treat my stuff with care so it's just hard for me to be ok with something like this just ceasing to function after a couple years with no recourse.

Looks like I have a Mic Pre 3 now...
My brother-I am confused. I offered you a path to look deeper into it, but you are saying we offer "no love" and you were "hoping to have gotten into something different this time"? Not sure what that means-or are you implying we are not doing the right thing? Stuff breaks-it happens-in all electronics. Sometimes its a part that fails (a diode or resistor or ? that the gear we do not make), sometimes a small error on soldering, sometimes its the way you use it or move it or ?, sometimes its bad luck, etc etc. I have had PLENTY of things fail, typically just after the warranty expires (especially cars and computers). You call the dealer, you send it in or drive to the shop, talk to them about, plead your case. Sometimes people are really nice and help you. Sometimes they can't.

Since its just past Sweetwater's free extended warranty, have you talked to their service department or your salesperson about it?

I know you emailed Geoff, he emailed you answer-(Thermal is your best solution), I talked to Geoff about I saw your post, he told me about your email and then I posted here to say Thermal is your best solution as well (so we can see what's wrong). I don't think you've called me or Geoff and explained what happened yet-the symptoms-how you use it etc. So based on your post and emails alone, it seems "sending it to Thermal" is the best suggestion to know more. Doesn't it to you?

Brad
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Lunde View Post
My brother-I am confused. I offered you a path to look deeper into it, but you are saying we offer "no love" and you were "hoping to have gotten into something different this time"? Not sure what that means-or are you implying we are not doing the right thing? Stuff breaks-it happens-in all electronics. Sometimes its a part that fails (a diode or resistor or ? that the gear we do not make), sometimes a small error on soldering, sometimes its the way you use it or move it or ?, sometimes its bad luck, etc etc. I have had PLENTY of things fail, typically just after the warranty expires (especially cars and computers). You call the dealer, you send it in or drive to the shop, talk to them about, plead your case. Sometimes people are really nice and help you. Sometimes they can't.

Since its just past Sweetwater's free extended warranty, have you talked to their service department or your salesperson about it?

I know you emailed Geoff, he emailed you answer-(Thermal is your best solution), I talked to Geoff about I saw your post, he told me about your email and then I posted here to say Thermal is your best solution as well (so we can see what's wrong). I don't think you've called me or Geoff and explained what happened yet-the symptoms-how you use it etc. So based on your post and emails alone, it seems "sending it to Thermal" is the best suggestion to know more. Doesn't it to you?

Brad
You're absolutely right on all counts. Things do fail. I've not one time said that Daking make a bad product or that they're not doing the right thing. I've just said thats business I suppose and the only implication was that theres no "extra mile" being offered. Can't say I fully expect that, but in my gut I was hoping for it.

Sweetwater will only ship it to TRD for me (and maybe even tack on an extra charge) No surprise there.

I emailed Geoff and TRD. Geoff told me it was out of warranty and that they'd try to get a quick turn around on it for me. Thats all.
I DID explain the issue in my email to TRD. It was stated that a blown amp is possible followed by a rough price quote if that was the problem.
No one has said anything about maybe covering it if it's been determined that something has failed by no fault of my own or anything to that effect.

At the moment I'm not in a position to have it fixed at the rate quoted. So it's hard for me to ship it out (especially when I need the other 3) and pay for that just for me to tell them I can't afford the repair and ship it back.

I know it's ridiculous to be discussing this on open forum but originally I was just hoping someone had found something simple with theirs that I could try.
Old 24th May 2013
I know this is an old thread but my channel 4 just went out and wondered if you ever found a solution to this? Mine is way out if warranty so I am not expecting any "second mile" action from daking, I'm just hoping it is something I can fix here without sending it out
Old 1st September 2013
I also have the same problem with channel 4 on Daking IV. I did repair my unit few times and channel work for a few minutes and than just distorted sound comes out when I push the gain over -50dB. I am on 3 channels since I buy this unit. Geoff was very kind and send me parts and I did repair it at professional service, but channel always work just few minutes of using it. Than I use only 3 channels one year and want to solve problem again...got unit back and again need to accept that I can use just 3 channels... and 2 years goes around and I finally have time to pull out daking for a few days and... it's always the same story. I buy it because of 4 channels and as I said, since I buy it I can use just 3 channels.

What is interesting is if I pres many of times on pad & phase button, sometimes channel start to work but just for a few minutes ...sometimes just for few seconds. They check everything always, they repair and replace all the pieces they need...and unit works just for a time on service (I been there and see that unit works OK) came home and ... channel dead after few minutes. My all other gear works fine... I never need to repair any other units that I have in last 8 years.

My daking IV doesn't have warranty anymore but even when I repair this unit in warranty thing never work. I just lost money for repairing and I was a lot of time without my unit or using just 3 channels. I really don't know what do anymore.

It needs to be repaired by guys from Daking company and for free because unit was never works 100% since I have it. I think that for that kind of problems / errors (which we see that users have - even my friend here...same thing but on channel 1 (also many times), fair will be, if there are units that work, than few of us unlucky guys must deserve to get new units. Repeated errors after service. Even when the unit was repaired in EU on an official service for daking units.

As someone said: it's not my fault that unit doesn't work properly and have wierd behaviour on the same channel many times.

Here we not talking about warranty but about units that have the same problems form the start.
Maybe the unit is sensitized to each peak, when you press the buttons like pad, 48V, ... but hey, how than other gear works flawless or other channels? I don't get it anymore.

I really like this preamp and I am 100% sure that Geoff is a nice guy but ... if it's just few of us that have this kind of problem than this is not big loss for daking company if they replace this units for new ones or repair units for free. + free shipping on both ways. I just wish that my channel 4 will work the same as other 3, which now works for years without any problem.

peace
Old 4th September 2013
Gear Nut

This is a tough one because it seems like whoever is servicing the unit is only replacing parts and not solving this repetitive problem. The 2981 output amplifier is very robust and can survive almost anything except a short at it's output. The 2981 is connected to the meter board and the output transformer. The primary of the transformer has enough resistance so that even a dead short on the secondary will protect the 2981 so I am guessing that is not it. I suppose the primary of the output transformer could be bad, but unlikely. You could test that easily.

It could be a bad input on the meter card. I would try replacing (or repairing) the 2981 amp and disconnecting the 2 wires to the meter to see if the amp fails again. If it doesn't, we can repair the meter card. Let me know, Geoff
Old 31st January 2014
Gear Maniac

I've just emailed Daking about what seems to be the same problem. I got a response within minutes which is highly promising. I'm well out of warranty and on the other side of the world. I hope there's an affordable solution!
Old 31st January 2014
Lives for gear

I see you are already in great hands (Geoff's) and I just wanted to add my .02 about Daking service… amazing experience. Extremely helpful and responsive.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
I see you are already in great hands (Geoff's) and I just wanted to add my .02 about Daking service… amazing experience. Extremely helpful and responsive.
Ditto on that.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search