The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
need some subwoofer "schooling" Studio Monitors
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

need some subwoofer "schooling"

I mix in a 15X13 well-treated room on adam a7's.

I like my setup, but sometimes the adam's can be a bit light on the bass side.

I was thinking about getting a sub 8 to remedy this. However, I've never used a sub before and find a lot of conflicting information regarding placement online vs. the pretty light amount of information in the sub8 manual.

--------

1. I had heard in the past that subwoofers should always be placed "against a wall." Is that not necessarily true?

2. I've also read that the sub should be placed close to your main monitors and horizontally in line with them. So, if the monitors are 2 feet from the wall, does that mean that it is okay for a subwoofer to be 2 feet from the wall as well?

Any help / direction would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

I would recommend that you first watch the Pensado’s Place episode with Bob Hodas (episode 21). There is some good info in there about subs. You can also read some of the articles on Bob Hodas’ website (www.bobhodas.com I think). First I recommend that you try moving your monitors closer to the back wall before you commit to buying a sub. Doing this will increase the bass response due to loading, but it will also decrease your front-to-back (or depth of) stereo field.
I have a pair of A7X, which have a slightly extended bass response compared to yours. I recently moved and as a result of new restrictions had to move my monitors closer to the back wall (about 6” away) in my new studio. This improved by bass response dramatically. I was toying with the idea of getting a sub in my old space when the monitors were 2 feet from the back wall. But, with the improvement I got from the speakers loading, I no longer have any need for a sub.

Hope some of that helps.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
need some subwoofer "schooling"

Also, consider that unless you need to impress clients with knock 'em over sound, studio monitoring isn't for great or impressive sound. It's for making sure that things sound good on everything from phones to impressive rigs. There's nothing wrong with a monitoring setup being a little "bass light" as long as you know how a good mix should sound on it. In fact, in a small room, less bass is easier to deal with than trying to sound like a big varsity control room with a 2.1 setup.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRey View Post
I would recommend that you first watch the Pensado’s Place episode with Bob Hodas (episode 21). There is some good info in there about subs. You can also read some of the articles on Bob Hodas’ website (www.bobhodas.com I think). First I recommend that you try moving your monitors closer to the back wall before you commit to buying a sub. Doing this will increase the bass response due to loading, but it will also decrease your front-to-back (or depth of) stereo field.
I have a pair of A7X, which have a slightly extended bass response compared to yours. I recently moved and as a result of new restrictions had to move my monitors closer to the back wall (about 6” away) in my new studio. This improved by bass response dramatically. I was toying with the idea of getting a sub in my old space when the monitors were 2 feet from the back wall. But, with the improvement I got from the speakers loading, I no longer have any need for a sub.

Hope some of that helps.
JaRey:

I cannot thank you enough. That video really opened my eyes!!!
Everyone should watch it. Thanks again!

I'm curious, do you know why putting the speakers closer to the back wall decreases depth of field? What is the technical reason? Does it also decrease the "width" of the stereo image?
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Rinkbossy:

Unfortunately, I do not know why it decrease the depth. Given the complexity of stereo depth I suspect that there it is a combination of factors that are beyond my knowledge. I have not noticed any decrease in the width of the stereo image. I think that as long as you are not too close to the side walls and are monitoring inside the "monitor triangle", it will be fine. One drawback I had when I first set up my monitors closer to the wall was too much bass. I ended up treating the wall some behind and above the moitors which helped to bring the bass to a better level.

Cheers
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Without getting into lengthy explanations, it has to do with what's known as "Boundary Effect" in Acoustics and Psychacoustics .. ie : The buildup of Bass around Boundaries (Walls) in Rooms/Spaces.

When you move a speaker enclosure close to a wall, the bass frequencies will interact with the Wall, the Floor and The Ceiling to produce both coupling and reinforcement, which reinforces the sub frequencies. If the enclosure is moved even closer to the wall, the effect increases exponentially.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search