The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Mono Overhead Drum Mic? Condenser Microphones
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Best Mono Overhead Drum Mic?

What do you think is the best Mono Overhead Drum Mic,
and how would you place it..
i think of a blakroc black keys drum sound.. and i read here that they used a Beyerdynamic M88 as Mono Overhead.. which is cool indeed.

thx.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

All depends on what you like..

I like the Coles 4038
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

in a recent soundonsound interview the BK's engineer said he used a shure ksm141 'out front' in a sort-of GJ config....but then tchad blake mixed the record and said he beefed up the drums with samples anyway....so i wouldn't be too guided by the latest black keys thing/sound and the mics used!

as for what is the 'best' mono OH......i sometimes use an R84 over the right shoulder of the drummer, or a coles 4308 'out front', or a boss 202 sampler built-in mic a few metres away, or an sm7 beefed up with a fethead as a mono 'knee mic'.......they can all sound badass - there are no rules (but there is good and ****!)....use your ears! and most importantly: have a killer-sounding kit and play it like a badass....that's the place to start!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Been doing a lot of mono drums the last couple months for a couple different artists and in-house productions. AEA R84 out in front for low-mid body and amazing resonant tone, Josephson C715 above the kit for shiny cymbals and really quick attack, Microtech Gefell M1030 behind the drummer/over the shoulder for the "you're sitting at the kit" feel. We've been keeping all three mics set up and print one or the other or the other depending on the feel of the song/artist's intent...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I recently did a record for an artist who was/is heavily influenced by the Black Keys (earlier and newer stuff), where we had a mono KSM32 on OH. Not saying it sounds like them 100%, but the artist was very happy with the vibe we captured.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

One of the best I've tried is a modded Oktava 319, directly over the drummer's head, at a slight angle toward the kit. Smooth and full sounding.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

I don't know why this worked so well, but I recently used a Beta 87a. I assume that because it was hyper cardioid that maybe it blocked out other noise.

It was a pretty simple show: drums, bass, guitar, grand piano, and singer.

The drums only had a Beta 52 in the kick, and the Beta 87a up high above the HH pointed at the snare. The room was very dry and I used quite a bit of reverb and it sounded REALLY good.

If someone will tell me how I can post a sample recording of the board mix.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edva View Post
One of the best I've tried is a modded Oktava 319, directly over the drummer's head, at a slight angle toward the kit. Smooth and full sounding.
Actually forgot to mention this. On the session I mentioned it ended up being between a modded Oktava MK319 and the KSM32. The KSM32 just did more of what we wanted in this particular case.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Black Keys use an M88 as drum overhead? Where is the evidence? They have really big, clear drum sounds.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah the 319 is nice, I've thrown a EV 635a on overheads before for an instant vintage break beat sound.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...o-warning.html

Last post on the first page...
Greets sw
Old 26th September 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinxx View Post
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...o-warning.html

Last post on the first page...
Greets sw
Very cool!
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Guru
Depends very much on the situation.
Are you talking about micing the kit, or the cymbals?
Open sound or tight sound?
Live room or dead?
4038, KM 84, AKG 451, Royer 121, SM 81, something else, it depends.
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Addict

If you just have one mic as an OH and no room mic, can i suggest you use a proper pressure sphere omnidirectional microphone? Neumann M150, TLM50, etc., if not an original M50.
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Addict

I'll third the STC/Coles 4038 almost over the snare and just high enough to get some of the cymbals.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

4038, definitely solid. C414 is my preference. Polar pattern makes a world of difference - the options just put it a notch above.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

There are lots of good ones. I just used an SM81 as mono overhead and it sounded really good. I've also used R-121, C414, CM-7GT (surprisingly good), C451B (little too bright), SF-1 (fabulous!). Of those, I'd say the 414 is most versatile.
Old 26th September 2011
Here for the gear

I'm a fan of using u87s. Lots of meat and sparkle. This song was recorded with a mono u87: Chips and Cells Mixed by Sugar Lung on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Guru

Depends, of course, on what you're looking for. A 635a or AKD D119 are both cool and very specific. U87 can work, 4050, MC012 can all work. I'm not very fond of Peluso mics, but I thought the P12 sounded great as a mono OH when I reviewed it a couple years ago.
Old 28th September 2011
I have done quite a bit of work recording drums with just a mono overhead and usually a kick mic. My absolute favorite mic for this application is the Sony C38b or the C37 FET. Those mics just have a way of putting everything in your face like nothing else I have ever heard. The next best thing for that sound that I have used was the Telefunken 251. And as has been said before, you cant go wrong with the Coles 4038. It's a little less in you're face and for me has worked better when being mixed with close mics. That being said the most important part of a killer overhead drum sound is well tuned drums.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like a KSM32 placed directly over the kick pedal facing straight down , but as low as possible , out of the drummers way of course . I have a sample of it in this post named "CAPI-Drums-BehrADA8000.wav" . https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6722098-post2.html
Old 28th September 2011
I love the KSM line. I love my Cad m179 too
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Addict

It depends on what you're looking for (obviously), but I'm a huge fan of the 4038. I'd be happy to put a U47/48 there (a la Nigel Godrich) as well if I had one...
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Guru

I have gotten good mono overhead sounds out of the AEA R84, AKG 414. Obviously two very different flavors.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Best Mono Overhead Drum Mic?

In case of a retro mono approach for the drums, U47, U67 or M49 are good choices for overhead. I have not yet worked with ribbons as overhead (should have tried that though) but I can imagine that will give good results. At least when the room is high enough and the ceiling is diffusing the soundwaves. As most ribbons are figure-of-8, reflections from the ceiling could affect the mic sound in a bad way.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

the 4038 is hard to beat for a mono look at the kit.
my second fav would be a 47 ish type of mic.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear
I am a big fan of the Coles behind the head or up top over the snare.
I dont own one though.I do have an S.E gemini and I have been doing a fair bit of single mic kit recording with it recently for loops . going through a 6176 it sounds huge. mix it through the SPL transient designer and a big dose of the UAD Helios,job done.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Coles 4038 through API
Old 30th September 2011
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
I love the KSM line. I love my Cad m179 too
Hey, don't talk about the M179, that was gonna be my little secret!
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

4038 with a pultec set broad 10k and open it up.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search