The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eq for separation & unmasking
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head
Eq for separation & unmasking

Do you know of any really good threads or interviews about this?
Hints like separating backingvocals from leadvocals, handling really dense mixes
etc.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli View Post
Do you know of any really good threads or interviews about this?
Hints like separating backingvocals from leadvocals, handling really dense mixes
etc.
I cant remember exactly where I heard this, but a general rule of thumb with EQing stuff is to high pass everything (except kick drum and bass - actually maybe even these depending on taste) up to about 80 - 200Hz depending on the sound and separation level you want.
Be careful though, the higher you go obviously the thinner the instrument will sound.

Generally, try to carve sections / elements of the frequency spectrum out for each instrument whilst sacrificing the smallest possible amount of tone.

for example you can low pass everything from between 7kHz to 10kHz to let the cymbals have more presence. You could cut the guitars a little from 2Khz to 4Khz to give the vocals more room.

It depends wildly on the genre and sound you are going for, and there are no rules you MUST follow. All I will say is, if you are at the stage in the mix where you are carving out separation, do NOT solo the tracks. Generally soloed they will sound "crap", but in the context of the mix they will sound good if not great!

There is lots of advice if you google separation and EQing but remember that not everything will apply to your situation. Hence, remember that any interviews and tips etc wont be entirely applicable for what you are doing.

"Density" and "mud" though are generally terms used for the lower end of your mix. So I would suggest try the high-pass suggestion above (remember on EVERY track, NOT just on the 2buss) and maybe remove a few db with a medium Q around 250 - 400Hz on the guitars. Usually the low end of the snare will reside here so it will give it a bit more weight. Again, EQ in total mix context....RARELY soloed.

Best of luck!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search