The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Ensemble Hiss Noise / Electrical Noise While Recording Audio Interfaces
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Apogee Ensemble Hiss Noise / Electrical Noise While Recording

I've been recordings with my Apogee Ensemble lately and have noticed quite a bit of noise coming from Mic input 1. This is different than some of the other threads who are noticing hiss noises through the output/headphone outs. It seems to be more of a white noise / electrical buzzing.

I'm wondering if this is the unit itself, or an actual problem with my electrical outlet... I noticed if I turn the dimming lights up and down in my studio that it can effect the level of the buzzing noise in examples 2 and 3... I'm thinking maybe I need to call the electrician over to reconfigure a couple of the outlets I run my equipment into. Has anyone here run into problems like these, and if so, what are your thoughts?
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Example1: 75DB @ 00 seconds: nothing plugged in to mic input 1

Example2: 75DB @ 20 seconds: Shure SM58 plugged in to mic input 1

Example3: 75DB @ 40 seconds: Shure SM58 plugged in to mic input 1 with 3prong to 2 prong converter
Attached Files

Ensemble_Noise.mp3 (2.24 MB, 251 views)

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deancain View Post
'm wondering if this is the unit itself, or an actual problem with my electrical outlet... I noticed if I turn the dimming lights up and down in my studio that it can effect the level of the buzzing noise in examples 2 and 3... I'm thinking maybe I need to call the electrician over to reconfigure a couple of the outlets I run my equipment into. Has anyone here run into problems like these, and if so, what are your thoughts?
If the dimmer is having an audible affect on your Ensemble, you need to find a separate, dedicated circuit for power. I am guessing that your outlet and dimmer are on the same circuit. Look at your breaker box to find out. Try running power to a different outlet. Usually you can find a dedicated utility outlet near your breaker box that will have nothing else wired in line with it. See if the noise goes away.

If this works and you have room in your breaker box, think about having the electrician run some separate 20amp outlets for your studio use only and ask him to put them on the same leg if possible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search