The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ? Equalizer Plugins
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
EQ?

What makes one EQ pluggin better then another?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

The algorithm used to calculate the processing would be my guess.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
All that would do is make it more accurate correct? Do EQ's have their own "sound"?
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
All that would do is make it more accurate correct?
See this:

All digital Eq's are the same - redux

Quote:
Do EQ's have their own "sound"?
Some do, but usually distortion or noise are added as an effect after the accurate part of the EQ is done.

--Ethan
Old 14th September 2011

Sound, features, work flow, stability, looks, cpu usage...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post
See this:

All digital Eq's are the same - redux

Some do, but usually distortion or noise are added as an effect after the accurate part of the EQ is done.

--Ethan
Thanks for the articles. Has it ever actually been confirmed that they all use the same algorithm? I read that on one of the posts and was unsure if it was true.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Has it ever actually been confirmed that they all use the same algorithm?
I think so, but it's been a while since I read through that stuff.

--Ethan
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Do EQ's have their own "sound"?
Saturation and harmonic distortion effects.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think so, but it's been a while since I read through that stuff.

--Ethan
It hasn't been confirmed, because it's not true There is a tantalising element of truth to the concept, but it's an oversimplified interpretation of the truth.

Anyone interested should read the entire "Technical Detail" section of the Sonnox EQ documentation available here: EQ-Tech_Detail

And that's without even letting linear-phase eq into the discussion - while they're not at all the focus of some of the original articles, the inevitable summarisation of them ends up with statements that neglect to exclude them explicitly ...

And then after reading the technical points that Sonnox bring up, consider the pragmatic point ... even if you have a parametric EQ that is theoretically capable of reproducing any minimum-phase transfer function within it's bandlimits (because this is true of some of them ...), if its interface design does not lend itself to influencing the user in the same way that a different eq does, then the likelyhood of actually ending up in the same place within the same amount of time with a similarly smooth and intuitive workflow is not very large. So technically and pragmatically, all digital minimum-phase eq is not the same.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
What makes one EQ pluggin better then another?
So, I would say:

1) How well a given user relates to the interface design and how appropriate this is/isn't for a given scenario.
2) Filter design - probably a lesser factor in the whole design than the above ... assuming that the filters aren't just "wrong" of course
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, after the A/D process the audio signal is just 1s and 0s in your computer (ITB speaking obviously). The process of adapting these figures would by and large be very similar for the same approximate result. There will be some slight variations from algorithm to algorithm, but if the required result is to be achieved by the different EQs, any difference will be ever so slight that I doubt anyone could hear it....especially when you consider other factors such as the listeners environment, playback device, their Fletcher-Munchen curve (unique per person) etc etc...

I mean sometimes a dot on a wall is just a dot on a wall, no matter how much some people try to distinguish it as "art"....
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

You seem to have missed both my point and Malevich's
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
You seem to have missed both my point and Malevich's
Eh, whos Malevich? (is he/she on this thread?)

I know your point. The best EQ for a person is the one you are most familiar with and will get you working faster. (Right?)

I agree btw. I use Logics stock one all the time and its great. I've used Sonnnox and Waves varieties of EQs and I sonically couldnt tell the difference. To each their own I guess.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
It hasn't been confirmed, because it's not true There is a tantalising element of truth to the concept, but it's an oversimplified interpretation of the truth.
I recall reading on that blog page that a large number of EQs nulled to quite a low level. So that's enough to satisfy me. I do understand about control interaction, and intentionally added distortion etc.

Quote:
And that's without even letting linear-phase eq into the discussion
Oh man, don't get me started. I recently experimented with an LP equalizer, and tested it with impulses. All I can say is OMG, keep that thing away from my music. Maybe the one I tested is not typical, but I assume it is since it added pre-ringing as people say they all do.

Quote:
if its interface design does not lend itself to influencing the user in the same way that a different eq does, then the likelyhood of actually ending up in the same place within the same amount of time ...
Well, okay, but that goes outside what the OP is asking. How many ways can you present a response graph and data input fields? heh

--Ethan
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, okay, but that goes outside what the OP is asking. How many ways can you present a response graph and data input fields? heh
A related question - How many ways can a response graph and data input fields influence your use of a tool?

But who even needs a response graph all the time? ... bit distracting imo ... Fair enough, but I do think interface usability is highly relevant to every discussion about creative tools. Our senses are so easily influenced that it seems naive to me not to consider this!

And regarding cancellation down to low levels - yes, many of them can when run at high sample rates. When running at 44.1kHz and boosting HF, the number of relatively large cancellations diminishes.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

All digital EQs are not the same. . .

They just aren't. . . I have done shoot outs with many different ones, done all kinds of tricks to compare them.

Notably, the way one can interact with it is key.

For instance, the Sonnox EQ has an amazing interface that makes it very easy to quickly get results, and with the four modes, I feel like I can tackle 95% percent of issues quickly and easily.

Another series of EQs I love are the Brainworx ones. How the hell can you use those EQs and insist they are all made the same?

P.S. I am a person of science, with a college degree, but my ears do not lie. All those silly "all EQs are the same" articles leave out so much important information it's kind of sad. :/
Old 16th September 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Wow!!!

Your link took me to this post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
... and that link took me to one of the most wrong audio pages I have ever read http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=3224 ... I mean fantastically wrong... I mean there is an article there where someone who really shouldn't try to write about audio is talking about the headroom of a unit like it has something to do with digital calibration levels... I mean like fantastically unrelated events being discussed like they had anything to do with each other.

Truly remarkable!!!!

...as for all digital equalizers being the same... from what I've heard so far that seems to be rubbish... but I fully support anyone who refuses to give their money to the asswipes at "Waves".

Peace
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Most of newer EQ's don't sound same at same settings, there are some differences. But it is easily possible to match sound of one eq to another, unless there is some saturation involved.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, I would say:

1) How well a given user relates to the interface design and how appropriate this is/isn't for a given scenario.
2) Filter design - probably a lesser factor in the whole design than the above ... assuming that the filters aren't just "wrong" of course
I agree, this is true of hardware as well and tools in general. Basically what are the inherent capabilities of the tool, and how effectively can the capabilities be accessed with human interaction and use.

So user interface and the underlying algorithm (yes it makes a difference) make an EQ better or worse (which is subjective).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search