The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Saturation Saturation Plugins
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Saturation

The next time you type the word "Saturation" into a post, i.e. "Since I've discovered 'x-saturation' plugin, my mixes have drastically improved", or "now that I can use saturation ITB, I finally can mix like Andy Wallace", I am going to come over to your house and punch you in the banana.

-TA
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yo, you used the word twice!
To me they just add noise.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Funny, it looks like 3 times to me. Besides, please clarify how your post is not 'tarded - how are saturation and noise floor related?
Old 19th September 2011
Old 19th September 2011
Fezzle
hahaha what about 'Glue' ... ill bring the shotgun haha aha a.. err..

lol
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Oh no.....not in the Banana !

Saturated to the max.

WT
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicAvenger69 View Post
The next time you type the word "Saturation" into a post, i.e. "Since I've discovered 'x-saturation' plugin, my mixes have drastically improved", or "now that I can use saturation ITB, I finally can mix like Andy Wallace", I am going to come over to your house and punch you in the banana.

-TA
Oh Man... SSL is releasing an X-Saturation Plug?!?!? That sounds like it would be the perfect thing to drastically improve the way my mixes are glued together... now my stuff will totally sound like it was done by Wallace (of "Wallace & Gromit" not Andy )
Old 19th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicAvenger69 View Post

-TA
Come on over, big boy, and maybe you'll be the one to get a lesson. heh

Saturation is a perfectly reasonable term of art that describes a set of related phenomena.

Now, lessons on the foolishness of making physical threats you may not be able to deliver on aside, I like to think I have an open mind.

What word would you suggest we use when we refer to various forms of saturation?
Old 19th September 2011
I think he's just reached the point of saturation ...
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

This, along with that ridiculous "Favorite OH" thread, convinces me the OP is nothing but a troll.
Old 20th September 2011
"drastically improved" usually just means the plugin added volume (i.e. noise) and nothing else.
Old 20th September 2011
Saturation is neither noise nor volume/gain boost - per se.

However - to acheive saturation, it typically involves a gain boost to raise the level, to push the signal into the non-linear range of the circuit (or emulation thereof). This allows the signal to distort, and then typically you would attenuate the signal unless you also wanted the gain boost as well.

Saturation can be considered to be ultra fast limiting - so it can be used to reduce dynamic range, and allow for a gain boost. This also boosts the existing noisefloor - which might be causing the confusion here.

Digital saturation plugs that i'm aware of don't add any noise at all. Analog dirt boxes certainly add their own noise.

Just trying to use the word "saturation" here as much as possible ...

Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Isn't saturation the overloading of a component, say tube, that causes nice tones, or an opamp which causes not so much?
Old 20th September 2011
Yes - the non-linear region is the point where a component no longer responds in direct straight-line relationship to the input signal.

The signal gets 'shaped'. E.g. a sine wave is a pure frequency with zero harmonics or overtones. If we push this through something that can't handle the peak voltages, the signal gets flattened, and therefor closer to a square wave (which in theory has infinite harmonics and is not accurately reproduced in the analog domain).

And everything in between. The particular harmonics (e.g. even and odd multiples of the fundamental) and the ratio between them defines the tone. A lot like pulling out drawbars on a Hammond organ ...

You can experiment with sine waves and a saturation plug, and a spectrum analyser to see what they do ...

Fun with Saturation.

(Could well "drastically improve your mix")

Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
Saturation is the number of "reality" talent competitions on TV.
Old 20th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Saturation is neither noise nor volume/gain boost - per se.

However - to acheive saturation, it typically involves a gain boost to raise the level, to push the signal into the non-linear range of the circuit (or emulation thereof). This allows the signal to distort, and then typically you would attenuate the signal unless you also wanted the gain boost as well.

Saturation can be considered to be ultra fast limiting - so it can be used to reduce dynamic range, and allow for a gain boost. This also boosts the existing noisefloor - which might be causing the confusion here.

Digital saturation plugs that i'm aware of don't add any noise at all. Analog dirt boxes certainly add their own noise.

Just trying to use the word "saturation" here as much as possible ...

Thanks for taking the mystery and romance out of it.

heh

Good overall explanation. (Although the fast limiting bit will confuse some folks.)
Old 20th September 2011
To be honest...Andy Wallace doesn't do mixes anymore. I do all of them since I bought Decapitator and he's just a brand name

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search