The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
need to separate vocal from piano comp for a dead singer's tribute album Spatial Processor Plugins
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

need to separate vocal from piano comp for a dead singer's tribute album

Hi- im producing a tribute album for one of Israel's most famous singers who recently died of of cancer.

i have a few demos he did with a piano in which the vocals are good enough to use on the record with a new arrangement.

however, i was able to eliminate the vocals using the gain plug in logic by taking out of phase one side.

i assume since the vocals were mono material they eliminated and i was left with the piano which was stereo.

question is:

how i can use this track to eliminate the piano and stay with just the vocals. is it even possible? any workarounds?

thanks!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

You could try this:
If you convert the stuff to M-S, eliminate the S channel (all stereo information) and bounce the M channel to Melodyne (the new version with DNA). Then analyze it section per section using the polyphonic algorithm (there is a video tutorial how to do that on the celemony website) and mute anything that's not the vocal.

It's a very tedious process, but it might work very well.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

There are some free MS plugins that would be helpful. (voxengo MSed I think) You would pull the "side" faders all the way down - that would eliminate audio data that existed only on one side or the other. It would remove a good deal of the piano but not all. Might be adequate to use with new instrumentation though. You can set up the same function without a plugin (google) but with one would be simpler. Good luck! (try waves center if you happen to have access to it)

(edit: above poster beat me to the MS. While I'm sort of opposed to the melodyne in this case it's not so bad. I saw some demos of the DNA thing and it is pretty impressive. Is the existing piano so offensive? If other instrumentation is going in you might just be able to leave it alone post-ms. )
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Well, at least in theory, if you have perfectly eliminated the voice, so you have a pure, unaffected piano, you should just be able to subtract that from the original by flipping the phase and mixing them together.

Doubt it'll work in practice, but might be a useful starting point ?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
You could try this:
If you convert the stuff to M-S, eliminate the S channel (all stereo information) and bounce the M channel to Melodyne (the new version with DNA). Then analyze it section per section using the polyphonic algorithm (there is a video tutorial how to do that on the celemony website) and mute anything that's not the vocal.

It's a very tedious process, but it might work very well.

QuikQuack has something like MashTactic which could sometimes work to some extent but probably no good for this

Matti
Old 14th September 2011
mrc
Lives for gear
there are some software tools that supposely do more thn the m-s thing, i ll try and remember a few. if you have the budget, contact audionamix (audionamix.com) but i suupose it's not cheap.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkonkkrete View Post
Well, at least in theory, if you have perfectly eliminated the voice, so you have a pure, unaffected piano, you should just be able to subtract that from the original by flipping the phase and mixing them together.

Doubt it'll work in practice, but might be a useful starting point ?
This.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
This.

thanks all! tried this method but it dosen't work since the elimination of vocal took some piano with it so i dont have full piano for real subtraction...

ill try the ms and take it from there. thanks!!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Alesis used to make a little box for this years ago,
think it was called Vocal Zapper,

What ever you do there will be a trade off with the piano sound
Old 14th September 2011
Keep the piano track, it's as much his legacy as the singing. It worked for dead John Lennon and that "bird" song a few years back.
Old 14th September 2011

About a year ago I saw a demo of some software that does this, it was pretty amazing at taking the vocals out of an old recording, or leaving just the vocals. I think it does it someway similar to melodyne's new technology for polyphonic tuning. So if you can wait a year a two, I'm sure that this kind of software will be all over the market..

Matt
Old 14th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Keep the piano track, it's as much his legacy as the singing. It worked for dead John Lennon and that "bird" song a few years back.
In the meantime I'd go with this suggestion..

matt
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I too would try playing around with M/S and also partial cancellation with what you've already extracted. And you might also get somewhere with some of the residual piano with spectral editing using iZotope RX or similar.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
+1!!

You can try and try, but you can never get the sound fully 100% separated without a some artifacts. It just cant be done at the moment...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks for all your advice! tried to play around with the MS.... it didnt do much actually...

i may end up going with jim's advice but thats going to dictate a different arrangement then what i had in mind+ the pianist on the stuff is not very good or inspired..in opposed to the Lennon tapes....

ill keep trying. thanks all.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Already mentioned http://www.audionamix.com/
But it would not be cheap, beginning of the length of the files
Best around so far that I know of if not trying yourself with these mentioned
Also I would try out with an spectral editor like RX or Algorithmics RenoVator
just painting out the piano per note.

Matti, Tired tonight, sorry for that
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

DrMS might be able to help. (Mathew Lane plugin) plus Mashtactic or similar

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search