The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Affordableish Large Speakers Studio Monitors
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Affordableish Large Speakers

Hi,

I compose for film and tv. Currently I am using a pair of old passive 20/20's and I have a pair of NS10's gathering dust. I have 18 4" bass traps in a 25' x 12' room, though I'm going to be moving soon.

I deal with a lot of low rumbly sounds that I just can't hear and end up wrecking my mixes by overpowering everything else resulting in the music being turned way down to compensate.

With that said, can someone recommend a pair of sub $2000 monitors? I'd rather stay in the $1000 range, but if the baseline is higher for what I'm looking for I am willing to step it up a bit.

Are there any older large monitors that would be good to look out for as a value?

Thanks,
Casey
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think for film and tv work a dedicated subwoofer might be advisable because, as you found out, you need to hear the low bass.

You may well be better off spending your budget on one or even two subs and keep the 20/20s.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

KRK RP10-3 are large and cheap.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I bought a bunch of these dirt cheap things from ebay, Not pro by a long shot but when you get use to them they do give a reference for what a home stereo large speaker sounds like. I dont mix on them ever, just playback mixes and compare commercial references.

I pair them with the cheapo Plye amps (3,000 watts)...I blast the heck out of them and have not blown one yet. Good for waiting rooms, small project studios, or matched with HDTV...Whole set up under $700 w/ amp

Affordableish Large Speakers(1) AUDIO DYNAMIC DUAL 10" STUDIO MONITOR 1,000 WATTS | eBay

Affordableish Large SpeakersPyle PTA3000 3000W Professional Power Amplifier | eBay

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search