The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Whats your female vs male vocal chain?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Whats your female vs male vocal chain?

I have rca 77ds, akg 414, and a neumann kms 105 and beta 58 right now. That go into a SCA J99 preamp. Hopefully soon a LA-610 soon. I use a different mic due to the application/style of music. But I'm interested in how you guys treat male vs female singers. And what gear you use on them.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Some fav's for male vocalists:

SM7
U47 or anything with an M7 cap

female vocalists and high tenors:
ELAM
Sony C37a
C12 or your best imitation/clone

Both:
Sony C37a (guess I really like this one)
C414 Brass Cap
Sony C48
RCA BK11

Preamps/compressors/etc. are song/project/vibe dependent

Probably not a big revelation, but hope it helps.
Old 14th September 2011
These are SUPER general, but....

For female singers that have those laser-like voices, I like a Soundelux U95s or - barring that - a 47. I want something without a great deal of high-mid detail if I can get it because the singer is giving me all that detail, and the last thing I want to do is play it up. I want the low-mid warmth instead. Then I'll take it into a Neve 1073 and EQ it there. Afterward, I usually knock off a couple DB with a Distressor somewhere between 3:1 and 6:1.

For more intimate voices, I like a Bock 251 - nice and even (comparatively) across the mids with a big top boost. Preamp is a Neve 1073 or sometimes (lately, in fact) an API 312. If it's the Neve, I EQ it there. If it's the API, I'll use any number of EQ's. I de-ess accordingly with a Lil FreQ or (sometimes) SPL. I'll hit this - sometimes a lot - with an LA2.

For males toward the hard rock side of things, I'll do a 47 or maybe an SM7 into Neve or API, sometimes a 2-610.

For other voices, I'll do a 251/Neve/LA2 thing.

I tend to hedge my bets with tracking compression on male voices more than female voices.

-A
Old 14th September 2011
Fezzle
Female - Bock 251 or C12 , Martech MSS10, LA2A, GML 8200, EMT250, Studer A800

Male - U47, U67, RCA 44, Sennheiser 441, GML8034 , LA2A, Pultec EQ, EMT 140 or Bricasti M7, Studer A800

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search