The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken M16 MKII - parts availability in the future Condenser Microphones
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Telefunken M16 MKII - parts availability in the future

that was quick...

Telefunken representatives were so proud of this microphone just a few years ago and promoted it to the edge...

however, i only can read now stories about the successor, the AR51 and i am left as a customer with remaining questions on the M16MKII which has been discontinued.

why has it been discontinued, i think i read sth about a certain part within the microphone that might not be available in the future...? right?

honestly, i don't want to invest additional money for an upgrade or in other words: to buy the AR51 additionally.

so how would i be able to ensure future functionality of the mic?

which part is it that will be unavailable in the future?

would it be possible, please, to shed some light on this? maybe Fletcher or some other capable person....?

thanks in advance and best wishes.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I thought the design was licensed from Oliver of TAB Funkenwork, and the Blackspade was an upgrade of this design.

But come on man anything can pretty much be discontinued at any time, it's a risk you take on any purchase, and your worried on the availability of parts of a Moddified farily generic Made in China mic.
Old 22nd January 2012
i believe the blackspade comes from the AK47.
Old 22nd January 2012
I wouldn't be concerned about parts availability. They'll always be available from somewhere like parts connexion, mouser, or digikey.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, there are more 3rd party replacement parts for that mic body than any other china mic I know of...
Old 22nd January 2012
member no 666

Fear not

The AR-51 is not an "upgraded" M-16 mkII - it is a completely different model with very much different stuff inside. There is really very little point in replacing an M-16 mkII with an AR-51... but there could be a very useful point in adding an AR-51 [or AK-47 mkII for that matter] to your microphone collection as a compliment to your M-16 mkII... you'd have to take a listen and hear if it will be a good tool for the way you work, but that kinda goes without saying.

TELEFUNKEN is still very proud of the M-16 mkII... but the product came to the end of its "life cycle" [as many products do - that's not a bad thing, just a "reality" thing]. I can tell you with all certainty that any spares you may require for an M-16 mkII at any time in the foreseeable future [like at least 10 - 15 years at the least] will absolutely be available.

As far as the "generic Chinese mic" thing goes - yep, the head basket and basic body parts are indeed fairly generic... the amplifier, power supply and graded capsule selection are not, but all will be supported for many years to come... so - fear not... the company has your back.

Peace

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search