The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
converter/interface solution under 5k Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

converter/interface solution under 5k

I have a questions for y'all: of the following, which is the best signal-chain upgrade(from a firepod!!) for a budget of 5k -10K, for small home studio? I'm DIY musician and I only record my own stuff ( drums, vocals, gt, bass, synth) and my room is treated.

A) mics/pres + AD/DA converter + PCI card
B) Mics + Prism Sound Orpheus
C) Mics/pres + Prism Sound Orpheus
D) Blow 5K on Mics and pres. keep the firepod as a converter.

Other suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'd suggest A. If you have $10k to spend you can get a pretty sweet rig. For example, a Lynx Aurora 16 converter with Lynx AES PCIe card (this is a desktop rig only, not laptop.) or USB card if it's a laptop, then you'll have plenty of money to spend on 1-2 channels of great preamp, and some microphones. If there's money leftover, a solid hardware EQ and/or compressor is always good to have. There are a lot of great channel strips out there nowadays that have EQ, and some even have compression or distortion circuits.

Jared
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Audio-LA View Post
I'd suggest A. If you have $10k to spend you can get a pretty sweet rig. For example, a Lynx Aurora 16 converter with Lynx AES PCIe card (this is a desktop rig only, not laptop.) or USB card if it's a laptop, then you'll have plenty of money to spend on 1-2 channels of great preamp, and some microphones. If there's money leftover, a solid hardware EQ and/or compressor is always good to have. There are a lot of great channel strips out there nowadays that have EQ, and some even have compression or distortion circuits.

Jared
Which one has better converter?

I track drums so probably need 4 channels mic pre minimum.

Thanks for your response!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would look very seriously and very carefully at the Metric Halo gear, particularly the the LIO-8 or ULN-8. Depending on your needs, you can get into one of these boxes with as many or as few Mic Pres as needed, with or without the +DSP package. I just got an LIO-8 and added 4 mic pres to it. Then I can still use other pres very easily on the remaining 4 analog channels. It's worth a look.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search