The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boom mic stands with heavy bases... Dynamic Microphones
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Boom mic stands with heavy bases...

Hey guys,
I am looking for some stands to be able to support some RE20's at full extension (to reach over a table) without becoming wobbly. I currently have some really solid old school stands which have legs which are solid steel, however these are pretty well worn, bright red, and basically I'd love something more aesthetically pleasing (black) as its for an interview studio with high profile guests, so aesthetics is an important consideration.

All the K&M stuff etc I have used is all hollow and can't support the weight of a mic like that when fully extended out.

Does anyone know of something commercially available that would do the trick?

Thanks guys!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Use a standard $20 stand with a round botton and buy a 10 lbs. weight lifting weight.
Unscrew the pole and it fits perfectly on top of the base.
I spray em black so you cant tell its there.
That' one option anyway.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I got one of these a couple of weeks ago and it's not bad at all (not expensive too):

K&M 21430 - Thomann Cyberstore Portugu
Old 14th September 2011
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

These are pretty cool

Galaxy Audio | Life Saver Sandbag
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

If a table is involved, what about an OC White broadcaster scissor arm? I have several, and I think they are great.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaparker View Post
If a table is involved, what about an OC White broadcaster scissor arm? I have several, and I think they are great.
I want to have the mics separate from the table, as there is also a lounge involved, and sometimes the interviews get moved from the desk to the lounge. Kinda hard to explain, but you get the idea.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use these ones , They are pretty heavy duty and solid . Good price too . check them out here Accessories
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
Use a standard $20 stand with a round botton and buy a 10 lbs. weight lifting weight.
That' one option anyway.
damn fine idea, might a=have to give it a try. i loathe the idea of spending loads of money on a mic stand.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Another inexpensive idea is to increase the size of the base by drilling holes in the base and screwing it down to a larger circle of plywood that you have spray painted black. If you combine this with the Posi-Lok booms from On Stage, you've got a low cost black boom that holds really well, even with heavy mics.

The commercially available options are going to look nicer, but they are definitely more expensive.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Price is not really a concern. (The joys of working in commercial radio) My other option is to get some regular booms, and remove the legs and have them replaced with some solid steel black powder coated legs.

Thanks for the input though guys, some great suggestions here!
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

I have a couple of SE Electronic stands and they're pretty good - perfect for heavy LDC mics. Not exactly cheap, but affordable compared to the really big boom stands the big studios have. And they look good too.

Welcome to sE Electronics
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavern View Post
That' one option anyway.
I use ankle weights at the bottoms of mine heh
Old 15th September 2011
On Stage makes a stand for a little over 100 bucks that has a 35 lb base. It also has locking teeth, it will handle your RE-20. On the more expensive end,
Latch Lake has an amazing stand, but it's a lot more money

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search