The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing without reverb Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Mixing without reverb

I can't explain why, but I don't like reverbs. I just want to know if there are people who mix without reverb. How to create dimension in the mix without reverb?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Delays?

I like reverbs myself. Used tastefully that is.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

I use reverb.
I don't use reverb.

It really depends on what the song calls for. I'm a people pleaser. You wants some verb, I'll give you verb.

I think delays are a great alternative for adding space and yet keeping things up front. Echoboy. Yeah good stuff.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Jeff Lynn from ELO claims he never used reverb on ELO records. Just room ambience from mic placement.

He hates reverb too....

DaveT
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

a very good alternative to creating space in a mix is to record space...not being aseafish either...
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet View Post
Jeff Lynn from ELO claims he never used reverb on ELO records. Just room ambience from mic placement.

He hates reverb too....

DaveT
What is room ambience if not reverb?

Just because it's natural doesn't mean it does not exist
Old 13th September 2011
cure for no reverb

room ambience

mic placement

panning
Old 13th September 2011
If Jeff used room mics for ambiance, he did not "hate reverb" ...

Possibly he may have hated artificial reverb ... although I find it VERY hard to believe he never used a plate or a real chamber.

The guy worshipped The Beatles, and eventually worked with at least two of them ... Beatles music is saturated with plates and chambers and all manner of reverb. Obviously this was before digital reverb was invented.

I think anyone who says they don't like reverb doesn't own a Bricasti M7. I hate most digital reverbs - for sure. Compared to real rooms, they just fail. Except the M7 ... i'm sure even Jeff would love it ...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Spend some quality time with your favorite verb and learn about all of the various parameters. A little tweaking can get you smiling.

Then put it on a bus and be very judiscious about how much you send around. I don't much like hearing reverb in my mixes. I like my mixes even less, though, when the reverb is gone.

Delays........yep.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Messing with delays are great for adding front to back space as well as left to right. If I opt out of reverb for whatever reason, I often feel like using delay to pan things comes across more natural then using the pan. Something about the space a front to back delay creates interacting well with others left and right delays.

I also find that setting instruments back in the "pocket" helps to create a little independence from other more pocket forward tracks. And while it might not immediately sound like something just entered an ambient physical space, it does help to move things forward or back in relation to each other. For instance, I will sometimes nudge a bass part up to 800 samples behind where it was preformed. And while it doesn't make the bass feel like it's reverbing in a hall or the like, it does indeed make that instrument sit back in the mix.

And I also find using an EQ to filter, roll off or dampen the high end will move stuff further back in the mix.

Maybe a combination of those. I still LOVE Reverb. heh
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

It is not that uncommon to mix without reverb. You can do lots of tricks to add depth and ambience using delays and compression. Almost all the records I hear that rick rubin produced in the last 20 years sound like they have no reverb on them
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Did anyone see the special on the other night about "The Harmony Game: The Making of Bridge Over Troubled Water" on Palladia?

Great discussions about using natural echo, even taking all of that not so mobile gear to benefit from the dome of a cathedral and using the hallway of the studio in front of an elevator for the BOOM of a drum.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru
Dimension without reverb can come from EQ. Darker will sound farther back, brighter more forward.
I really like reverb where you don't really hear it, but if you turn it off you notice it's missing.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

All of the above is true, room, compressions, some delays etc. I find that the final glue can do wonders for anything.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORT View Post
I can't explain why, but I don't like reverbs. I just want to know if there are people who mix without reverb. How to create dimension in the mix without reverb?
Am I correct in assuming you've only used digital reverbs?
Old 14th September 2011
I have had a lot of younger musicians come in the last 15 years or so, and say things like:

"I hate reverb. Reverb sucks."

"Do NOT put any reverb on my tracks please."

I think a lot of inxeperienced engineers on daws in their home studios using the wrong reverb, or too much..whatever, have given it a bad rap.

It's funny, because you mix in a little reverb because clients are asking you to make the drums sound "huge" or something, and they don't really notice the reverb.

Later if asked what you did, and you tell them you added reverb, you get "REALLY?"

Once I got the profound response from on of these reverb haters of: " Are you sure? OK, but that this is not the cheesy kind though right?"

Funny.

Reverb is easy to mess up, and damage your mix with for sure. A lot of people have a morbid fear of it now. I can't really blame them, I have heard some really bad sounding plugin reverbs, used in totally inappropriate context over the last several years.

Many ways to use it right though, and sometimes you use it so you don't really even know it's there unless you mute it.

I like reverb personally. It makes it onto most of my mixes in varying amounts. Couldn't imagine the job without it. That would suck.

john

Last edited by NEWTON IN ORBIT; 14th September 2011 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: typo sorry
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

I always use a reverb or a delay. That being said, 9 times of out 10, the reverb is barely noticeable and the delay is very short. I usually try to go for a pretty dry sound.

I will admit that I use slap back echoes on many many things. Love it on snares!
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFamousKid View Post
I always use a reverb or a delay. That being said, 9 times of out 10, the reverb is barely noticeable and the delay is very short. I usually try to go for a pretty dry sound.

I will admit that I use slap back echoes on many many things. Love it on snares!

I haven't done that on a snare for a long time, but yeah man.

I think people should at least try stuff. If it doesn't work, take it off.

I hate going into sessions with "rules"

THE USE OF REVERB IS HEREBY OFFICIALLY BANNED DUE TO IT'S INABILITY TO BE A TREND IN THE PREVIOUS DECADE.

Gimme a break. Same with the old "Don't overproduce us man..."

The paranoia reached an all time high for a while there around here.

I was beginning to wonder if pretty soon we'd be recording in anechoic chambers with reference mics to DSD with no effects permitted at all. heh

This was just my experience, and to be fair, it has eased up recently... for me anyway.

I think some people are finally getting tired of the vacuum packed super dry thing.

Cool for some stuff, but even some Rock was starting to sound like uber dry Rap production.

Craziness.

j
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like to get a final mix down before reverb. And I only use it depending on where it can lay magic touch.

I feel like the inexperienced try to use it to cover bad sounds and make them workable and add too much cause its a "cool sound effect"
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Honestly reverb has always been a after thought for me beside acoustic guitars. I ususally disregard most fx until the end. Usually focus on the quality of the recording, levels and getting some mojo. Then I add reverb to make it better not just fit better.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
I
I was beginning to wonder if pretty soon we'd be recording in anechoic chambers with reference mics to DSD with no effects permitted at all. heh

j
You'll have to fix it with your summing box.

-R
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
You'll have to fix it with your summing box.

-R
hehhehheh
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Am I correct in assuming you've only used digital reverbs?
Yes. I mix in Cubase with plugins. The problem when i use reverb, even very short, i lose clarity in the sound. This is no happen with delays. Some reverbs i use are ArtsAcustic Reverb, 2C Audio Aether and Waves Rverb.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPORT View Post
Yes. I mix in Cubase with plugins. The problem when i use reverb, even very short, i lose clarity in the sound. This is no happen with delays. Some reverbs i use are ArtsAcustic Reverb, 2C Audio Aether and Waves Rverb.
Answer = EQ and overall amplitude.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

This tool has only just been released and I purchased mine the other day, yet to put it to the test.

This Pulsed pink noise generator is useful for hearing what your Reverb parameters are doing.

It is affordable too.

Studio Stav
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicAvenger69 View Post
Answer = EQ and overall amplitude.

And predelay and reverb length (esp the predelay though!)
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51m0n View Post
And predelay and reverb length (esp the predelay though!)
...And everything else.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
.................haven't used the frst two but from my experience.....the rverb is useable but needs tweaked and most importantly eq'ed....rolling off the bottom is pretty crucial and use it sparingly......you probably don't want to hear this but you would probably feel differently if you had acess to something a bit more high end....I bought a Bricast and it has made a big difference.....last week was in fact the first time I managed not to use it on a vocal.....forced myself........still threw a bit on the second verse
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
You don't need reverb all the time. Tracks can be great without it.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

My suggestion, one that might help you out, is to insert a reverb on the master bus, before your SLL 10000 compressor and your L3000 limiter. If you keep the dry signal above 112, it should sound pretty much the way it would sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search