The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing without reverb Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicAvenger69 View Post
My suggestion, one that might help you out, is to insert a reverb on the master bus, before your SLL 10000 compressor and your L3000 limiter.
ha ha ha.. No compressor on my bus, just touch of L3003 limiter.heh

Thank you guys for the tips. I'll be back to try with reverbs.
I left my latest mix with no reverb. Here is a short sample from the mix.
Attached Files

SPORT remix(unmastered).mp3 (2.29 MB, 570 views)

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I left my latest mix with no reverb. Here is a short sample from the mix.
.........no offence but this sounds knd of like a dj mix, .....utilsing samples? I asumed you were talking about a mix of real instruments and voices tracked at your studo, so I can't see how reverb would really be helpful as you aleady have the sperate ambiences of the samples............maybe as someone suggested a verb on the bus sending a tiny amount to glue it all together
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I can sum up the book "Behind the Glass" for you in two words "pre-delay" , as was mentioned by a previous poster. The pre -delay in correct timing with the song pushes the verb back in the mix and makes it not "so verby". It can be adjusted for "not knowing its there" - to - "Righteous Brothers "setting.

Your mix needs some reverb IMHO - but hey Im old school.

If your in the box, try some on a seperate chane/trackl and send whatever instruments to that reverb chanel - mix verb in with instruments as opposed to putting 10 verbs on 10 different instruments --will sound natural, nice - adjust predelay for how present the verb is , as well as augmenting the timing (BPM) of the song.

Good Luck!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
............maybe as someone suggested a verb on the bus sending a tiny amount to glue it all together
Yeah, that's definitely my style. My last tune had just a tiny bit on the tracks but it really came together when I put a verb return on the master track.

Got that tip from our own Old Goat () and it really does gel things nicely in a sparse presentation like mine.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, that's definitely my style. My last tune had just a tiny bit on the tracks but it really came together when I put a verb return on the master track.

Got that tip from our own Old Goat () and it really does gel things nicely in a sparse presentation like mine.
...............Must confess I've only tried this the one time and it wasn't that succesful......however maybe it wasn't the appropriate mx for that technique....mght work for the o.p. though...
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
...............Must confess I've only tried this the one time and it wasn't that succesful......however maybe it wasn't the appropriate mx for that technique....mght work for the o.p. though...
Ya, I'm in the same boat here. I never really had any success with verb on the master fader. And I've had a few "mastering engineers" add it when I sent out for mastering. If i can pick it out I've always had them take it off. It always sounded too cheesy to my ears. Plus, some things I really don't want verb on at all. Like bass and kick. Not always a hard and fast rule, but I often send no verb to those.

But, for what its worth, I've always enjoyed Unclenny's songs and production. So if dood's using it on the two bus, I have never been able to pick it out as a bad thing. Much respect Lenny!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Gearslutz.com App
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
.........no offence but this sounds knd of like a dj mix, .....utilsing samples? I asumed you were talking about a mix of real instruments and voices tracked at your studo, so I can't see how reverb would really be helpful as you aleady have the sperate ambiences of the samples............
Sorry. I had to mention before, I produce EM. The vocals are samples, but the rest of sounds of the mix has been programmed(midi) and bounced as audio(wave) with no effects.

Quote:
maybe as someone suggested a verb on the bus sending a tiny amount to glue it all together
good advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixing without reverb-screenshot.jpg  
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

EQ the return......can be very useful for clarity
Old 16th September 2011
Rent a M7 and get back to us. The cheesy reverbs in you syths may have turned you off to the concept of natural ambience.

Feed those synths though some guitar amps or monitors and mic them up, in stereo. Use analog mixing and hear the depth.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctormd View Post
EQ the return......can be very useful for clarity
And the send. I don't mind a little sibilance in vocals, but when it spits the reverb it's horrible. So a de esser on the vocal might be set light or not used, but the reverb send will have a low pass filter or a de esser set to maximum stun.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

My approach to reverb with ITB projects is to record as much ambience as I can, and then bring it up in the mix as audio files. Either simultaneously, with room-mics, or afterwards, by playing the sounds back out through my monitors into real spaces, or through gear.

Working on something right now where the snare has a short, wide ambience in the verses, made by blasting one monitor down the corridor outside my mix room into an X-Y pair of SDCs, which are recording the walls, rather than the monitor. The chorus' have a long mono spring from a guitar amp into a 414, which I also did at home.

I also made a few recordings at the tracking studio, after the band cleared out, including a medium room sound for the drums (overheads in but very low, to cut out cymbal whoosh when I compress it), and a really long, lush chamber for BVs, which I made in their empty, about to be refitted, concrete-walled, studio 2. Both of these with one monitor, and a pair of omnis.

This, so far, is proving to be considerably more fun to work with than pulling up plugins, and I have also found in the past that these kind of ambiences keep their character far better in a busy mix, while plugin reverbs, even the best ones, can sound lovely solo'd, but once you have a few going, tend to just blend into one big generic reverb.

I do use a few plugin reverbs (UAD or Altiverb mostly), but find that they work best when used on only a few sounds in the mix, and very unsubtly, as a "featured" reverb.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
And the send. I don't mind a little sibilance in vocals, but when it spits the reverb it's horrible. So a de esser on the vocal might be set light or not used, but the reverb send will have a low pass filter or a de esser set to maximum stun.
This is a great call. I've almost forgotten that I do this. I have a templet that I always start with, and the verbs are always pre set with EQ and DeEsser (for vocal verbs), when the session first starts up.

Nothing worse then a vocal verb jumping like crazy when things get a little hissy.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

I'm not a huge fan of tons of reverb, and have mixed many things without it. That said, I've also mixed a lot of things with reverb. It's all about what's needed on any given track, period.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha]-[acksaw View Post
I have never been able to pick it out as a bad thing.

That's what the bottom line is with reverb, right?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear
I used the delay/feedback fx from the Waves MPX on some synth tracks recently, especially on bass and needed nothing else as far as delays or verbs. Sounded awesome and took care of the grit/distortion I wanted as well. Awesome little tool and the fx on it shoudln't be overlooked!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search