The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advanced Audio CM87 vs. AT4047 Condenser Microphones
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Advanced Audio CM87 vs. AT4047

seem to be two great mics. Trying to decide between the two for vocals? Any experience with them? Want a phat, but very detailed sound
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Well, they are two very different mics for starters. It's impossible to tell you which one would work best on YOUR voice in YOUR environment.

Is your room treated?
What kind of preamp do you have?
Who is your voice similar to or do you have a sample to upload of your voice?

Both are very solid mics but both could potentially sound horrible depending on these circumstances.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Room is fairly treated, dead, dry enough sound. Decent saffire pres. And here is a sample of my voice
Old 13th September 2011
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

sm7b
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
sm7b
lol, that is actually another mic I'm looking at. I feel it may lack detail and clarity tho
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by he_isthatguy313 View Post
lol, that is actually another mic I'm looking at. I feel it may lack detail and clarity tho
I would say the 47 is a good alternative to the SM7 for clarity. However if you want the u87 sound, the CM87 is a good bet. Dave makes outstanding mics.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

i wondered too. but it doesn't with the foam off for the delicate takes. great in my ****ty sounding environment too. just thought of it when I heard how explosive the vocal was on your youtube clip. My voice is low and quiet and the Advanced Audio CM47 is the best mic for me so far of the ones I have used. I just can't be arsed with lugging the box around. Bit pricey though
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Great feedback guys. If you only had one choice though, between the cm87 or at4047, what would it be? I know its different for every voice, but does one stand out as superior between the two?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I had a 4050 and a KSM44 and sold them both because I liked the cm87 better. My buddy still sends me a lot of tracks that he cuts on a 4047. Its not bad at all. But he also likes to borrow my mics when he can.

I think the CM87 sounds very big and detailed. It is a sound I prefer.
Old 16th April 2013
Gear Nut

Trying to research AA CM87 for male/female voice.

Found this shootout, CM87 sounded great to me (second to u87):
VO mic test: U87, L36B, AT4047MP, CM-87 | recording hacks

Then I found this - the guy said he loved CM87, but it sounds way noisy/busy here in his recording - maybe a question of the compression/playback? But it's scary bad:
https://www.box.com/shared/p3z4xqtkcn

Hmm...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search