The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ferrofish A16MKII Converters Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ferrofish A16MKII Converters

Anybody here who are using these converters ? How are they compared to, for example Lynx Aurora or SSL Alphalink?

Ferrofish advanced audio applications
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

* I am.

* No idea.

WT
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like the screens on the front, never heard of them though
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm View Post
* I am.

* No idea.

WT
Great Reply ;-)

Are you happy with the Ferrofish?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, works fine. Haven´t done much testing against other DA´s ( primary use for me ).

Will hopefully be able to testdrive it more in november.

WT
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Got the Ferrofish and this weekend i did the first recording with it.

I love it. The bottom feels tight and the highs are smooth. I have acctually been working on Behringer ADA8000 converters before these and and the upgrade feels great!
Not sure how these compare to Lynx and Alphalinks, but i do have a feeling it's more about what you feed into these and who is working them.
I'm Happy and keeping these!!!!
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear

any more love for these?
Old 6th October 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Got the Ferrofish and this weekend i did the first recording with it.

I love it. The bottom feels tight and the highs are smooth. I have acctually been working on Behringer ADA8000 converters before these and and the upgrade feels great!
Not sure how these compare to Lynx and Alphalinks, but i do have a feeling it's more about what you feed into these and who is working them.
I'm Happy and keeping these!!!!
So you love it, which is cool indeed . . . anything else regarding this particular piece? It looks very interesting to me, especially for the price and since I don't have to pay VAT it would be around $1,600 USD.

How do you have it connected / what's you setup?

I'm just wondering because I too am in the market for a converter(s) so any additional details you can share would be great. Their website is, um, so not great but this likes a very new company on the market. Do you know anything about them?
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

These are new on the market, so people get them to replace cheaper converters, and of course they sound better than a Behringer ADA8000.

Once these have been around for about a few years you'll get more in depth opinions on what is good/bad, etc. They appear to be mid to good converters but won't replace the mytek/Lavry crowd. With 32 channels of conversion for $1,400 you wouldn't expect them to.
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

There's already a thread here
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHaze View Post
So you love it, which is cool indeed . . . anything else regarding this particular piece? It looks very interesting to me, especially for the price and since I don't have to pay VAT it would be around $1,600 USD.

How do you have it connected / what's you setup?

I'm just wondering because I too am in the market for a converter(s) so any additional details you can share would be great. Their website is, um, so not great but this likes a very new company on the market. Do you know anything about them?
I have mine connected via adat to a RME Raydat card. My preamps are connected directly to the inputs and my out's are connected via patch (For outboard integration) to my Neve 8816.

They are probably not in the league of the Lavry etc.. (but without going into the converter debate) I seriously feel it's good enought for most setup's.
At least for my Metal.. Rock'n Roll studio
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
I have mine connected via adat to a RME Raydat card. My preamps are connected directly to the inputs and my out's are connected via patch (For outboard integration) to my Neve 8816.

They are probably not in the league of the Lavry etc.. (but without going into the converter debate) I seriously feel it's good enought for most setup's.
At least for my Metal.. Rock'n Roll studio
If it's good enough for Nordic Death Metal, it's good enough for me! heh
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear
The specs look strange. 108 db dynamic range?! That's was not good may years ago.
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterybit View Post
If it's good enough for Nordic Death Metal, it's good enough for me! heh
I heard these guys used Ferrofish converters.

The Black Satans - The Satan Of Hell - YouTube
Old 22nd February 2012
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by bace View Post
The specs look strange. 108 db dynamic range?! That's was not good may years ago.
I know this is an old thread, but that is likely what the original Creamware A16 spec was (which this company sprung from the old Creamware crew). Hard to know 100% though. I used to use those Creamware converters years ago and they were quite good on a budget. I think they were streeting for like $850 back then, I used them with an RME 9652 via ADAT for a while.

War
Old 14th May 2016
Gear Head

Bump ! :-)
Old 14th May 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjj View Post
Bump ! :-)
Yeah, I know...not much of a Ferrofish users around here. I wonder how they compare to the Motu 16a. If anyone...please share your thoughts!
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Nut

I have one. To me it sounds really good and not stressed ("ear-wise"). maybe soon i'll make a loopback-test to hear how it degrades the sound.

you'll get very much converter for this little price. you can't go wrong with it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search