The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lifelong musicians hear better!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Interesting article from BBC about hearing.

BBC News - Lifelong musicians 'have better hearing'
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ton splash View Post
Interesting article from BBC about hearing.

BBC News - Lifelong musicians 'have better hearing'
I believe my line here is...

Eh, what's that you say, sonny?

My ears are damaged, without question, although maybe not much worse than most others my age -- but I do feel like I still can peel apart sounds pretty well. My take on the upshot of this study is that it seems likely that a life of musical (or presumably audio/recording) training improves the analytical abilities required to separate audible details like speech from background 'noise.'

However, that surmise seems to fly in the face of the number of albums that came out of Nashville over the last decade and change with seemingly sore-thumb-obvious vocal re-tuning artifacts. Or... maybe they just didn't care.

Old 13th September 2011
I don't know who they interviewed, but it can't have been drummers or guitarists. My ears are *%$£ed...
Old 13th September 2011
But is that classical or rock they're talking about? i can understand how using your ears discerningly can cause the brain and nervous system to put emphasis on the ears in one way or another. but if you're a rocker without earplugs then i'd be surprised if they don't have some sort of hearing problem in old age...

still, interesting nonetheless. It'd be interesting to hear what they'd say about audio engineers.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

This actually doesn't surprise me, though it is interesting
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah not surprising IMO but I can't imagine its like that for everyone
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think the part about having been given formal music lessons pretty much excludes most rockers over 50. ;-)
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well......as a card carrying lifelong musician I can see the premise. The need to listen to what is being played around you so intently as to be able to react instinctually with a complimentary part.....particularly, I would surmise, in a classical music scenario, would tend to develop some good auditory skills.

It was those early four tracking days that ruined my ears. Falling asleep on the couch with a few beers in me and the headphones still on....grooving to whatever it was that I had just concocted........
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

"Whilst this study suggests that musicians might be more able to cope with the consequences of hearing loss, it is far better to minimise damage in the first place by using appropriate ear protection."

Just because we can listen better doesn't mean we can hear better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search