The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are you lot using for reference monitors? Studio Monitors
Old 20th March 2013
Gear Addict

Monitors

I used to use NS10s and a pair of Mackie 824s. Then I switched to NS10s and Mackie 624s. Now I use the 624s pretty much exclusively. They have just the right blend of accuracy and a touch of hype so they don't fatigue my ears like the NS10s did. I find I don't have to do much referencing on other sources at all anymore. They're relatively inexpensive as well!
Old 20th March 2013
Gear Addict

JBL 4311 Control Monitors, nearfields are Yamaha HS50s.
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

mackie hr824's
genelec 1029a's w/ sub

when ever this subject comes up I can't help but post this pic of daniel lanois and his mackie's...

good enough for him, right?
Old 20th March 2013
Gear Maniac

I love my Dynaudio BM6As. Avantone Mixcube will join the family soon too.
Old 20th March 2013
Jai guru deva om

Wow, pretty old thread!

We are currently using modified Yamaha HS80M's in our 12' x 14' room.

War

PS: Lanois can keep those Mackies...I had them for a while and in the end had to run away from them so I could stop fighting as much! To each their own (there were things about them I liked).
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

My own DIY design

The white ones are my studio pair (red pair sold to my brother, natural pair is my in my Wife's home system and the prototype).

We're all loving them. Making more.
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

Spiral Groove Studio Ones. They're absolutely life changing
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Gremlin View Post
My own DIY design

The white ones are my studio pair (red pair sold to my brother, natural pair is my in my Wife's home system and the prototype).

We're all loving them. Making more.
Why should you trust them?
Any graphs?
Or any idea if they are flat at all?

Not meaning to be negative.
Just curious.
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

I'll be doing a graph, but F response is actually not as all important as manufacturers tell us it is. It's really easy to build a speaker that looks ruler flat on paper but actually sounds horrible and is not accurate (usually due to phase response). Also, I know pretty much what the graph will look like based on a) the driver manufacturer's F response graph + b) the known properties of transmission line cabinets (extends bass response by up to 2 octaves below driver resonance). So yeah, they are a little lean in the extreme top and bottom, but still miles ahead of similar sized and priced monitors in terms of clarity and bass response (barring models with DSP enhancement which is is not appropriate for monitorring IMHO).

I trust them becasue I built my wife's pair first (wedding gift - wanted to replace the 'ugly' and too big 15" 3-way Technics she had before). Listening to those I noticed how detailed they were - I was hearing things in songs that I didn't know where there (burried keyboard parts etc); in some songs I could make out the layered vocal tracks/takes which I never could before (I distinctly remember first noticing this with The Thompson Twins' Hold Me Now). I thought I might want a super tweeter to go with them (or a sub) but I have been finding this unnecessary as I don't mix classical or pipe organ music (my brother runs his pair with a sub and they integrate very well - he is using them in a home theatre setup so that made sense vs stereo mixing or reference listening, where I think subs should never be used... at least not single/mono ones placed nowhere near the L+R).

Phase response and stereo image could not possibly be better due to single driver/point source and total lack of crossover. This is especially vital with nearfields. Listening tests (see above) confirm that.
Old 23rd March 2013
Gear Head

JBL LSR4328's and dual LSR4312 subs. Very happy with the sound...after treating my room.
Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Genelec 1029a's and 1091a sub
laptop speakers
Old 24th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Gremlin View Post
I'll be doing a graph, but F response is actually not as all important as manufacturers tell us it is. It's really easy to build a speaker that looks ruler flat on paper but actually sounds horrible and is not accurate (usually due to phase response). Also, I know pretty much what the graph will look like based on a) the driver manufacturer's F response graph + b) the known properties of transmission line cabinets (extends bass response by up to 2 octaves below driver resonance). So yeah, they are a little lean in the extreme top and bottom, but still miles ahead of similar sized and priced monitors in terms of clarity and bass response (barring models with DSP enhancement which is is not appropriate for monitorring IMHO).

I trust them becasue I built my wife's pair first (wedding gift - wanted to replace the 'ugly' and too big 15" 3-way Technics she had before). Listening to those I noticed how detailed they were - I was hearing things in songs that I didn't know where there (burried keyboard parts etc); in some songs I could make out the layered vocal tracks/takes which I never could before (I distinctly remember first noticing this with The Thompson Twins' Hold Me Now). I thought I might want a super tweeter to go with them (or a sub) but I have been finding this unnecessary as I don't mix classical or pipe organ music (my brother runs his pair with a sub and they integrate very well - he is using them in a home theatre setup so that made sense vs stereo mixing or reference listening, where I think subs should never be used... at least not single/mono ones placed nowhere near the L+R).

Phase response and stereo image could not possibly be better due to single driver/point source and total lack of crossover. This is especially vital with nearfields. Listening tests (see above) confirm that.
Cool.
I have always wanted to build my own studio monitors
Maybe work as a boomblaster reference?
But quality presicion main monitors.
It seems a little far out
Old 24th March 2013
Lives for gear

Good 'ole funky 4311's . . .
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vulture View Post
Cool.
Exactly; multidriver mains are a quagmire of R&D; it's a tough balance to strike and compriomises have to be made. I don't have the resources to do as good or better than current market offerings for cheaper like I believe I have with my nearfields (I'm not saying they're the best available, but they are better than anything else I can afford). As it is, I would trace the design heritage of these going back the better part of 10 years (starting with a near-fulltime 2 year period when I was unemployed after college, as I had nothing else to do, and I was really fascinated/captivated by audio theory). The first prototype, long before I was married, was a 2 way design that went through 2 mid-woofers before I decided it wasn't working well enough. It still had a rather good stereo image (not as good) but the freq response was unusable.

I have also built guitar and bass cabs that I am really happy with and still play with to this day.
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vulture View Post
Cool.
Exactly; multidriver mains are a quagmire of R&D; it's a tough balance to strike and compromises have to be made. I don't have the resources to do as good or better than current market offerings for cheaper like I believe I have with my nearfields (I'm not saying they're the best available, but they are better than anything else I can afford). As it is, I would trace the design heritage of these going back the better part of 10 years (starting with a near-fulltime 2 year period when I was unemployed after college, as I had nothing else to do, and I was really fascinated/captivated by audio theory). The first prototype, long before I was married, was a 2 way design that went through 2 mid-woofers before I decided it wasn't working well enough. It still had a rather good stereo image (not as good) but the freq response was unusable.

I have also built guitar and bass cabs that I am really happy with and still play with to this day.
Old 17th February 2014
My two cents...lol which is all its worth sometimes!!!

I now run Blue Sky Exo 2.1 system which consists of 2 small desktop monitors and a sub, and I love it. I also have a set of Energy RC-30 floor standing speakers that I use with the blue sky sub for an a/b comparison.
I feel its necessary to actually have a set of somewhat hi-fi speakers for a more real world sound. by that I mean what most people will hear your music on in their living room. I don't recommend mixing on them but I do compare the sound on them all the time. Then I go back to the Blue Sky's for the touch ups and detail. By no means are the Energy monitors junk, they are very high quality and originally cost $1000 for a pair.

I have owned Focal twin 6, dynaudio, m audio, krk, NS-10m, jbl....love the blue sky sound, its for professional's that want to keep their hearing for years. High detail at low volume is KEY in the monitor world

Now I am gonna build some desktop monitors that somewhat resemble a car stereo like the Avantone mixcubes
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Addict

Focal CMS 65 + sub

JBL Studio series S-38, incredibly Mid and Lower bass forward so a good Mixing tool. (even if they are home audio speakers, they are loud too, running of a QSC amp.)

old sony one way 3" rear home theater speakers (Think horrortones)

A little typical stereo 10 watt Bluetooth speaker with AUX input
Old 17th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Check this out! Never used NS10's.

http://newyork.***************/que/msg/4336433243.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search