The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are you lot using for reference monitors? Studio Monitors
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've been using the same three pairs of monitors as my personal reference for the past dozen years:
- Mackie HR824
- Truth Audio TA-1P
- Tannoy System 800

Just recently got access to a pair of Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand bookshelf speakers, so I've been listening to a lot of rough mixes on those just for another reference.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

b&w805 matrix with cyrus amps
yammies hs50 as secondaries
laptop speakers as thirdies
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Adam A7
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use the Blue Sky eXo2 in my smaller studio. Great for a small bedroom type studio. Doesn't push alot of power, but I like them.. very flat. I read before I bought them that some Sony studios use them, that is what convinced me to try them... I don't do surround, just stereo.
Old 14th September 2011
Main - Neumann KH120a
Second - A pair of PC Creative Computer Speakers.
Old 14th September 2011
KRK 9000b's as my main and general mixing
KRK 6000's for a level of detail that is staggering, but I can only take it in limited doses.
Minimus 7's for . . .

DP
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Adams A7
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Blue sky mediadesk 2.1
Adam a7x
Old sansui home hifi speakers from the 70s that I found in my parents garage with the matching amp
Built in speakers on my imac

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

unity - the rock??

what about these new speakers "the rock"?

they look exceptionally well....

has anyone had the chance to test them?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Grimm Audio LS1 (reference speaker)

United Minorities Ginko (1-way close nearfield)

......someday, when I win the lottery, Strauss SE MF-2
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Dyns BM15A soffited with custom sub, small adams on the meter bridge

I like these small affordable adams -- they came with a sub which crapped out --but found I dont really need the sub -- since I got the low end covered.

I like having two sets of speakers - one for a big high fidelity sound, the other for getting the mix together quickly and hearing how its sounding on small speakers in the mids. DYNS ARE GREAT, BUT I LOOSE THE MIDS sometimes - adams fill this void for me and prevent ear fatigue.

Good Luck!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use two set of main monitors at the moment.
HS80s and
b3031as.

Both sound great. Using the B3031As a little more these days to get properly used to them (I've only had them for about 2 weeks or so).

For real world testing always burn a bounce on a CDRW and test it in your car, on the kitchen stereo.....wherever you can.
There is monitor referencing, and there is "real world" referencing.
Old 1st February 2012
Gear Head

Vintage JBL 4411- very natural sounding - highly recommend.
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaper View Post
K&H 0300
Avantone mixcube
Wow, that's a nice little setup!!

Personally, I'm using original Adam A7's and a pair of Alesis M1 Actives. It works fine, but I'd like to get rid of the Alesis for a pair of Avantone Actives and I've also been on the lookout for a larger, more PA like pair of speakers. Been considering a pair of QSC K12's which have a 12" woofer. Not for mixing, just to hear how it would translate on something closer to a live sound system.
Old 1st February 2012
Gear Addict

Genelec 1029a + 7050 sub. don't need the sub most of the time, but still like tu use it to get a real picture of the rumble down there. The 1029a are on rugged cast metal stand and their response is greatly improved that way. When on the desk they lack all that bottom end and sound boxy.

and my trusty old JBL S38 on a QSC 370 amp... for when clients/friends are over and want to listen loud. They don't look like such but they are loud as hell ! a good 175/200 watts rms... with a divine low end.
Old 1st February 2012
JBL's, since the 1970's.
Old 1st February 2012
Here for the gear

Adam A7 since about 2 weeks. NS10 until recently. Not sure yet which I like better.
Old 18th March 2013
Gear Head
JBL LSR28P

Yamaha NS10s-Bryston 3B

Radio Shack Minimus 7-Bryston 2B

Car
Old 18th March 2013
Gear Head

Focal CMS 65's and an old pair of Yorkvilles I've had since I first started.
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

Focal Twins & Avantone mixcubes
Old 18th March 2013
Gear Guru

KRK V6 II

Avantone Mixcube in mono, powered by an old stereo receiver

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 computer speakers with subwoofer
Old 18th March 2013
Gear Head

Gennies 8130 + 7261
Old 18th March 2013
Gear Guru

Monitors: ME Geithain RL906

(I still have the Harbeth Monitor 30 Actives and K+H O110D lying around, though).

Headphones: Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 25-1.

Monitor Controller: Grace m903
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

near field - Tapco S8

far field - vintage JBL 43 series
tri-amped with Crown amps
Attached Thumbnails
What are you lot using for reference monitors?-imageuploadedbygearslutz1363598355.311027.jpg   What are you lot using for reference monitors?-imageuploadedbygearslutz1363598439.683499.jpg  
Old 18th March 2013
Gear Maniac

Dynaudio M3a mains, but I probably spend 75% of the time on my Genelec 8020a's
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Personally, I'm using original Adam A7's and a pair of Alesis M1 Actives. It works fine, but I'd like to get rid of the Alesis for a pair of Avantone Actives and I've also been on the lookout for a larger, more PA like pair of speakers. Been considering a pair of QSC K12's which have a 12" woofer. Not for mixing, just to hear how it would translate on something closer to a live sound system.
My setup still hasn't changed. I'm still looking for a larger set of speakers to go with. Really eyeballing the ZenPro Modded HS80's. I'm in a small control room which I hadn't considered before. Any bigger and the speaker won't even have time to develop and blossom when spitting out sound. I think either these HS80's or VXT8's might be a good 2nd pair for the A7's and M1's I already have. Still thinking about getting rid of the M-Audio's for Avantones, but just can't quit 'em. They serve such an awesome purpose!
Old 20th March 2013
Gear Addict

KS Digital C55-Coax and Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 in first room.
Adam S2A with Adam Sub1 in second CR.
Old 20th March 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrigbeey View Post
interesting to see a lot of you using JBLs...i havent seen them in many peoples studios really.

Im looking for a really really honest monitor, are they Yamaha HS50m's honest?
I'm on ns10's. I have been for years, they are brutally honest. Not always the biggest fan of them.

The yamahas you mentioned though are easily the best in the price point. I feel like they are a watered down (in a good way) ns10.

At my project studio i have the old 824's and a big jbl sub. Its fun to make beats on, but even with a totally treated room, i have yet to get a mix that i like from there.
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

PSI A17's
Old 20th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentley Womac View Post
I've got a set of JBL LSR4328's & I love them. I really find them easy to mix on & my work translates great.
They dont get a lot of love, but that is my experience too. Not very expensive either

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search