The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Toft ATB for Summing Synths? Saturation Plugins
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Toft ATB for Summing Synths?

I've had a Roland VM-C 7200 digital mixer for the past 7-8 years and I use it in limited capacity. Essentially it sums a few of my rarely used synths, samplers and drum machines, which I then bus to a pre-amp then interface.

It's pre's are fair to dull but for hardly used synths that are then run into an aggressive pre, they do fine. I also monitor through it and use it as a glorified "monitor switcher". It takes word clock which is nice for this reason. I use a BLA Microclock MK2.

There's yet to be another digital mixer that really does that much more than the Roland so I haven't really thought much about replacing. However I've toyed with getting a mid range analog mixer to add some warmth to all these auxiliary and overflow synths, samplers and drum machines. Not to mention possibly running stems through it in mix.

The only mixer that'd be in my budget and not a step down from what I'm currently using is the Toft ATB 24. I know the EQs are nice, and I've heard the pre's are "good". My question is this. I run all my important inputs through high end pre's into converters/interface, that won't change. What I'd like to know from someone who went from Digital to Toft is; does it add any real warmth to tracks or signal? Is summing through it significantly better than say Mackie or budget analog mixer?

I'd love to spend some time with one but I don't know anyone that has one in the area who'd be willing to let me "give it a spin". Some have told me it's a waste of 6/7k just to warm up some overflow tracks and of course they may be right. I'd really like to know from current users if they can actually see a benefit. Thanks!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use the ATB and its a definite step up from a Mackie. Very good eq that sweetens just about anything you put through it and the mix buss adds a nice edge particularly when you push it a bit. It will most definitely add something to the sound, now if that something is worth to you the 7000 you spend on it only you can say.
I must add another thought: I recently spent some quality time with a bunch of vintage synths and a TL Audio M1 12 channels - its a lovely, lovely sounding little desk. Here we're talking about heaps of warmth and mojo rather than a subtle something. The trade off is that even the M4 24, which would be within your budget, has no busses and its quite features challenged. If thats not important to you its definitely an option to consider. Disregard the fact that TLA gets booed as soon as its mentioned on this forum.
Hope this helps
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks! I'll have to read more about that! I think I read a review in Sound On Sound awhile back.

Also glad to hear the toft does in fact add some warmth and bite.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search