The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Headphone Burn-In: Myth or Reality Studio Headphones
Old 26th May 2012
Lives for gear

While I can understand the concept of the parts "breaking in" because of course most of it is mechanical, I think the differences people hear after breaking in are mostly due to their getting accustomed to the new monitors.

The good news is it's probably not hurting anything and doesn't cost anything unlike some expensive audiophile snake oil so if it makes people feel better and if they indeed do hear a difference, who am I to argue?
Do what makes you happy!
Old 26th May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
While I can understand the concept of the parts "breaking in" because of course most of it is mechanical,
...not a concept but a FACT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
I think the differences people hear after breaking in are mostly due to their getting accustomed to the new monitors...
Is there any evidence for this?
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
I recently talked to a speaker driver designer about burn in/break in and he said that the differences are real but that it will generally not show up much in frequency response tests but will show up measurably in attack and decay characteristics.

Hi!

If attack and decay changes so is the frequency response.

/Peter

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search