The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ross martin audio Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Ross martin audio

Has anyone heard of Ross Martin Audio.

He has a 2 channel ad converter for $200, and a 2 channel Da converter for $300.
Using Lme49720/10 ICs Or OPA1611 ICs.

Any One have any feedback?

Looks Like a cool deal for s/pdif in and outs
http://members.cox.net/rossmartin1/i...es/Page318.htm
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Guru

I'm curious about the Ross Martin as well. Some internal pics over on hi-fi.org show it to be some kind of a homebrew unit. At $200 it might at least be a useful box of parts for experimentation.
Old 29th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I'm curious about the Ross Martin as well. Some internal pics over on hi-fi.org show it to be some kind of a homebrew unit. At $200 it might at least be a useful box of parts for experimentation.
I just tested his ADC S/N 2 (the first one went to Sony Studios), and it sounds absolutely stellar. In fact, you might be selling your other "hi-end" converters once you try it. There ain't notin' "homebrew" about this unit. No, it doesn't look like a christmas tree ... but, who cares. I am not affiliated in any way with Ross Martin Audio, but you owe yourself to try it. Never heard his DACs, but if they sound anywhere near what his ADC prototypes sound like, watch out ...
Old 29th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digifx View Post
I just tested his ADC S/N 2 (the first one went to Sony Studios), and it sounds absolutely stellar. In fact, you might be selling your other "hi-end" converters once you try it. There ain't notin' "homebrew" about this unit. No, it doesn't look like a christmas tree ... but, who cares. I am not affiliated in any way with Ross Martin Audio, but you owe yourself to try it. Never heard his DACs, but if they sound anywhere near what his ADC prototypes sound like, watch out ...
Thanx For the feedback, nice to know there is something in the converter catagory that is stellar for not much$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 29th October 2011
You guys spent too much. Here's a couple of bargain converters called "Stellar".

Stellar Labs ADC converter, $34.49. Does 48k. P/N 33-11635

Stellar Labs DAC, $34.49. Does 96k. P/N 33-11630

MCM Electronics: Home and Pro Audio/Video, Security and Test Equipment

Maybe someone will try these and report. Do tell what's under the hood. Same with that $200 jobby.
Old 30th October 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
You guys spent too much. Here's a couple of bargain converters called "Stellar".

Maybe someone will try these and report. Do tell what's under the hood. Same with that $200 jobby.
Jim, it would be a fair assumption that you never heard any of Ross's converters right? Its a rhetorical question btw ... Its a low blow to diss someone else's gear without ever listening to it, but on the other hand, he doesn't paddle gear here like you do ...
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:

Well, the $200 unit has some of the "magic buzzword" parts in it. Don't know what's inside the MCM box. It might be worth $35 to find out. It looks like there are some other hifidiy boards out there in the $80 range that have BurrBrown 1792's, or 1793's, or whatever they are. hifidiy.net is in Chinese, so I can't read it, but it seems there are a lot of people stuffing these in chassis on eBay.
Old 2nd November 2011
Quote:
Jim, it would be a fair assumption that you never heard any of Ross's converters right? Its a rhetorical question btw ... Its a low blow to diss someone else's gear without ever listening to it, but on the other hand, he doesn't paddle gear here like you do ...
Someone missed their morning Joe today? What did I "diss"? The only low blow was a comment about you all spending too much. I have offered alternatives. I don't care what converter you buy. BTW, everyone paddles gear here, it's what this site is. If you are uncomfortable with other's opinions, go elsewhere.
Old 3rd November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Someone missed their morning Joe today? What did I "diss"? The only low blow was a comment about you all spending too much. I have offered alternatives. I don't care what converter you buy. BTW, everyone paddles gear here, it's what this site is. If you are uncomfortable with other's opinions, go elsewhere.
Jim, I may have misconstrued your comment as being directed towards Ross's converters. My apologies.
Old 20th November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
digifx: I see you purchased a ross martin audio ADC. Do you still stand by your comment on the product?? I am looking to purchase a few myself.

Right now I am using a Rosetta 800 to track and clock my digi 002 console.
Old 22nd November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctechjustin View Post
digifx: I see you purchased a ross martin audio ADC. Do you still stand by your comment on the product?? I am looking to purchase a few myself.

Right now I am using a Rosetta 800 to track and clock my digi 002 console.
Absolutely!

FYI: Ross Martin Audio has a new website address: http://www.rossmartinaudio.com

Last edited by digifx; 5th December 2011 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: Ross Martin Website
Old 21st December 2011
Here for the gear

Ross Martin adc/dac

well let me say this to all i am one to try out any piece of gear and hear it for my self that's the only real way to do it i own the dac and i have compared it to my apogee ad8000,Rosetta 200 and 800 and recently compared it to the ad16x and don't get me wrong apogee is very good and benchmark dacs but the dac from Ross Martin designs has a nice spacious stereo spread to it and the low end and top end has a lot of clear detail when mixing i have order a custom adc from his collection that i have had a chance to demo and all i can say is get one!!! while the price is within reach because once they get the right exposure prices may jump up
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Bump!

Also very interested in any reviews.
Old 4th January 2012
Here for the gear

I'm also very interested in purchasing a Ross Martin PCM4222 ADC. I am looking specifically for comparisons between the Apogee Rosette AD 96K, Mytek Stereo96, RME ADI-2 and the Ross Martin PCM4222.

Right now I'm torn between buying a used Apogee Rosetta AD (96K model) or the Ross Martin PCM4222 ADC. How would those two units compare SQ wise?
Old 11th January 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSD2000 View Post
I'm also very interested in purchasing a Ross Martin PCM4222 ADC. I am looking specifically for comparisons between the Apogee Rosette AD 96K, Mytek Stereo96, RME ADI-2 and the Ross Martin PCM4222.

Right now I'm torn between buying a used Apogee Rosetta AD (96K model) or the Ross Martin PCM4222 ADC. How would those two units compare SQ wise?
Let me put it to you this way. My Rosetta is no longer around, and the Ross Martin's Dual-Mono PCM4222 stayed. In fact, I can't believe some of you guys are spending 2k, 3k + on "brand name" converters, while you can get on of Ross's converters for a fraction of that - and yes, they sound better than most ...
Old 14th January 2012
Here for the gear

ross martin dac

Ross martin is an engineer with experience who has bin active with many great names within the prof audio producers and manufacturers.
He is very cooperative helpfull to personal desires.
Cool dude who even wishes me a happy new year.
His product i own is a dac with simple vintage looks.
But underneed the hood there is a very mastering grade level electronics design.
that makes a emu 1820m a schoolboy.the emu has equal to digidesign 192 digital converters.
But to compare to ross equipment its a long road .
The ross martin is build on burr brown converters of the latets generation and let me tell you the bomb sound!!!
There is no dac on the planet to be found for this amount of money.
And sinds i use this device my music has absolute more balanced eq.
So for anybody who has to make the decide to buy this device ,once you bought one ,you want to buy a one extra because you going to love this baby so much
you want atleast apair!!using it for everything that requires dac .
I think to get a better sound quality i have to spend thousands of dollars to buy prismsound adda device.
So if ross would sell something in that price range emagine what it does to prismsound!!For me ross is the boss on extreme high quality sound.within my range of expences.
Old 14th January 2012
Lives for gear

This is all very interesting, however his website sucks nuts and is kinda pre-school.

I know some gear guys aren't too fussed with the commerce side of thier passion and art , however if they want to get thier product out there it might help bring thier online offering out from the 90's.

That being said I'm very keen to try one out with my new rig.

Might drop him a mail this eveing and see what he has to say.
Wiggy
Old 17th January 2012
Gear Maniac
would this be a significant step up from TC Electronic

I was considering Apogee Rosetta 200 or Mytec ADC, however having read the above I would consider the Ross Martin PCM4222 - would this be a significant step up from using the ADC converters in my T C Electronic Reverb 4000 ( in bypass ) - I also have a DCS Elgar Dac . I am recording to RMG 911 Tape mainly ( 1/2" MSR 16 & 1/2" TSR8 Tascam Machines - mixing down to Revox B77 1/2 track 15 ips ) I need a good converter to make CD' s of friends & clients recordings.I use a Toft ATB 16 desk, 2 x Dav BG1 mic pres Beezneez Arabella Producer series Tube LDC, Chameleon Labs TS-1, Oktava Mk 012, SM7b, Shiny box M46 ribbon etc. Monitors are Acoustic Energy AE22's. I am currently using a Tascam 2488neo for the digital domain , burning CD's etc.( I am useless with computers ) Any thoughts appreciated ?
Old 17th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
This is all very interesting, however his website sucks nuts and is kinda pre-school.
+1 totally can't tell what is what. still very interested in the products, however.

update: It's worth noting that he was totally responsive to my many questions over email today.

Last edited by jruberto; 19th January 2012 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: update
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear
Ok, well I just pulled the trigger on a Ross Martin DAC (with the National opamps).. the price is just so nice and all signs point to it being in a similar league as units costing a LOT more.

Will report back.

And if anyone in the area wants to hear it or put together a shootout, I'd probably be game for that.
Old 22nd January 2012
Here for the gear

I ended up placing and order for a PCM4222 ADC. I currently have an Apogee Rosetta AD (standard 48K) and I can't wait to compare the two.

Ross was very responsive and answered all of my questions. I need to use both balanced and unbalanced gear with the ADC and according to Ross, it will handle both.

He must build them to order; it's been almost a week and still no email or tracking number. He did mention that he was down to three PCM4222 boards left in stock and any new orders may be delayed until a new shipment arrives. He also said there will most likely be a price increase on the units built in the near future.
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear
Slightly distressing that I received email responses very quickly before I put my money down, and now it's 4 days without a peep when I asked for an ETA on my goods.

Not suggesting that anything shady is going on, but... not okay.

Sure, I'd much prefer that he was at his workbench assembling my DAC rather than dicking around on email, but still... Not cool.

Part of the "charm" of getting boutique gear from a one-man shop, I suppose.
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Maniac

I would give it a little more time before making implications here at GS - being a one man business forums such as this can have very strong influence on the future of such enterprise.

I have ordered a 2xDAC plus 1 ADC with the LME Opamps, all to be fitted in a custom made 19" case.

From what he told me earlier, he seems to only order certain parts on demand.

Also he told me that assembly takes at least a week.
And then there are other factors like kids, food, flu, dogs & wifes, decorating the man cave etc needing attention, which might come into play as well.

I'd say give it some more time and/or call him up.

Will of course post my owns feedback too once my order is completed...
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebism View Post
I would give it a little more time before making implications here at GS
I exactly did not make any implication. There is actually an explicit statement that says I am not implicating him in any shenanigans. Don't put words in my mouth.
Old 24th January 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruberto View Post
I exactly did not make any implication. There is actually an explicit statement that says I am not implicating him in any shenanigans. Don't put words in my mouth.
Not sure if you know that, but Ross's shop is a one-man-operation ... and he builds 'em beasts to order, one at a time ... He's building my custom DAC / 4 CH headphone amp as we speak as well ... So, between ordering the parts, metal-work, assembly, waiting for the suppliers to get their #3&* together - you know what I mean ... The wait is well worth it ... The other option is to fork out money for 3-4K unit, and be disappointed later ...
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruberto View Post
Part of the "charm" of getting boutique gear from a one-man shop, I suppose.
Quote:
Not sure if you know that, but Ross's shop is a one-man-operation ...
I'm pretty sure that neither of you read my post.

Yep, I'm excited to get my DAC. And I'm also trying to plan some travel. And I'm also a one-man shop, so I need to know when to expect it, or else it will sit on my porch till someone steals it.

My only gripe is exactly as I said -- totally responsive to communications presale, then no reply to request for ETA after paying. I'm not worried, but I am somewhat hamstrung.
Old 25th January 2012
Here for the gear

It's been 9 days since I placed my order, so I sent Ross an email last night asking for a status update. This evening, I received a response from Ross - he said the case is being CNC cut tonight and the unit will be ready to be assembled tomorrow.

He also said testing will take a few days and if everything checks out, it should be ready to ship by the weekend.
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Any further updates on the audio quality of this unit?
Old 11th February 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Any further updates on the audio quality of this unit?
I just received my PCM4222, literally 10 minutes ago. I'm going to give it a thorough workout today and compare it to my Apogee.
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear
My DAC arrived today! First impression is very positive, HF clarity blows my MOTU away (tho that's not saying much) and the stereo soundfield seems more 'real' & defined. Can't imagine there's anything that beats this thing in terms of price/performance.

More thorough usage/testing later this week.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search