The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ross martin audio Audio Interfaces
Old 4th January 2015
Here for the gear

Hey guys So after my posts I sent Ross an email telling him how I felt about the situation and the 8 month wait with lack luster customer service and I also explained that people at gear sdlutz we're upset ass well he shipped the unit out the next day and also I ordered a dual bare beast and he upgraded me to a super beast which I appreciate I have a steinberg mr816 and the problem I'm having is the Ross Martin headphone section sounds very thin and also I have 2 sets of monitors coming out of the super beast and there's no volume to control the monitors individually.and also when the super beasts is connected do I switch my internal clock to internal or spdif/coax.
Old 5th January 2015
Here for the gear

Just wanted to update you guys again I just spoke to Ross via phone and man I have to say he's a super nice guy through emailing or lack there of you start to think where's my order its taking so long but after discussing a few things with him he explained that his wife misplaced and that he is a small operation so I understand where he's coming from and i can support a stand up guy like ross
Old 5th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
If you guys really want to buy these things despite the issues, maybe Gearslutz members should collectively boycott purchases til he agrees to change his policy to 50% down and 50% on completion. That's how it should be. No other way. Then he has incentive to actually get to work on building them quicker. Otherwise you have the current system, which is pay now and he builds it months later when he gets around to it.
Depends if he has a hard time keeping things in stock, if/whenever there is such a time. By the time the unit is ready to ship, the buyer may not have the funds by then. Then it becomes more complicated, depending on demand.
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

So is his 8 channel 4222 ever coming out? Ive been waiting on that one for a few years. Need some more I/o and I dont wanna pay for a bunch of crap pres and cant afford nor do i want an uber expensive converter when ive got my 2882. If this doesnt materialize i guess thats what I will do
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
So is his 8 channel 4222 ever coming out? Ive been waiting on that one for a few years. Need some more I/o and I dont wanna pay for a bunch of crap pres and cant afford nor do i want an uber expensive converter when ive got my 2882. If this doesnt materialize i guess thats what I will do
Why not contact him, ask him how close he is to getting those units on the market, and let us all know? Based on my own recent emails with Ross, it sounds like these units will materialize in the near future.
Old 13th January 2015
Gear Addict

Hi I'm the guy who requested that Ross make multi-channel gear and am waiting on S/MUX adc and dac units. They're in development and still working with the microcontroller company doing something special

He will answer polite requests for information though actually is too busy working to get back to every email asking about timelines. I'm not sure Ross expected the demand for his products.

Do keep note of the sale page for those looking for 2-channel units and do not want to wait. The prices are still excellent. For example, this is built and ready:

Combo PCM4222+1794 DAC +USB+PHONES $582.90 in a 1ru enclosure.

plus separate adc and dac both on the sale page ready to order
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds11 View Post
... am waiting on S/MUX adc and dac units. They're in development and still working with the microcontroller company doing something special
Something special? What could that be? Can we get a hint?
Does anyone here know how close Ross is to starting production of these units?
Old 9th February 2015
hmx
Here for the gear

We ordered and prepaid in April 2013 from Ross Martin Audio:
1 AD converter
1 DA converter
1 Silent Knight mic pre amp.

Arrived in November 2013:
1 AD converter
1 DA converter

Never arrived:
Silent Knight mic pre amp.
Sent several emails with getting some replies with promises but without any real success.
Old 1st March 2015
Gear Head

Has anyone been able to get in touch with Ross lately?
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Head

I actually sent out an e-mail tonight asking why I hadn't received my PCM 1794 that I ordered in August. I had done this before and got no response so I decided to be a little passive aggressive and make some comments about business practices, communicating with customers, stuff like that. I didn't want to just rip them apart but I wanted to see if I could get a response by at least being a little more agressive. Well someone replied and apologized it had been so long and they will be sending me a unit out, very soon from the way it sounded. This person also said a few things about how hard it is has been with keeping up with orders. I won't go into specifics and I won't copy and paste the message here but for better or worse I got a response ......although it was a little strange. Anyways, yes I heard from them.

I have checked here from time to time to see what people have been saying or if anyone else heard from them and I knew what I was getting into when I bought one from them. I just gave it 5 months and so I took the next step. I hope others are able to get theirs sorted out.
Old 18th March 2015
hmx
Here for the gear

news

End of february we received an Email with excuses and the announcement that the missing device will be shipped soon.
Let's hope.

Last edited by hmx; 20th March 2015 at 11:32 AM..
Old 19th March 2015
Gear Nut

I returned a unit that didn't work, then Ross was kind enough to sell it on his website on my behalf, once repaired. I placed an ad here on gearslutz, and the unit was sold quickly.
This was several months ago, and I have written one email/week since then (polite ones). No replies yet. And no money..
/G
Old 31st March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustav82 View Post
I returned a unit that didn't work, then Ross was kind enough to sell it on his website on my behalf, once repaired. I placed an ad here on gearslutz, and the unit was sold quickly.
This was several months ago, and I have written one email/week since then (polite ones). No replies yet. And no money..
/G
I'm confused. Did RM sell your unit, or did you sell the unit on GS?
Old 31st March 2015
Gear Nut

Well, he sold it, and I advertised on gearslutz.
/G
Old 31st March 2015
Gear Guru
So basically this guy is taking money and not delivering products? Wow too bad....
Old 15th April 2015
Gear Addict
On a whim I decided to search on good ol' Ross Martin on GS and see what the latest scoop is.

So I ordered some model of his gear back in August of 2012. After a few unproductive emails, in June of 2013 I sent a nasty-gram that said "SHIP or REFUND please" and I got half of my money back. No effort has been made by RMA to send the remaining cash and admittedly I haven't really pursued it. I feel somewhat lucky to have gotten even part of my money back.

It's sad to see that the situation hasn't gotten any better.
Old 5th May 2015
Here for the gear

The Super Beast ii is out and for sale This is the -

start of a big change for Ross Martin because they aren't just making a new board (it's four layers and shopped out) they improving the design, adding some things like a word clock output and bigger caps etc. That means that it should ship much faster and if they start getting better cash flow from it they can start doing the same thing for other products. I have the old Super Beast and it's great! I fully expect the new one to be one of the best dacs on the market for any price! I emailed back and forth with Ross a couple of weeks ago and he is starting to think positive. I hope all you guys help and encourage him as he makes some of the best and deserves to succeed imho.

Last edited by tblewy; 5th May 2015 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 6th May 2015
Gear Head

Wow, that sounds like great news! Have you heard anything about his 8-channel USB unit? I think that it should also be on the market soon, but I'm not quite sure.
Old 6th May 2015
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblewy View Post
I hope all you guys help and encourage him as he makes some of the best and deserves to succeed imho.
No one deserves to succeed if they are not taking care of their customers. The business end of it has been unacceptable. He needs to make some changes there. It would be great if he actually participated here. Better communication of lead time and order progress plus reliably keeping to his word would go a long way.

If something's going to take 5 months and you tell people that upfront then there's no problem. Making full payment upfront then waiting and wondering for 4-6 months til he gets around to it isn't cool though.
Old 7th May 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
No one deserves to succeed if they are not taking care of their customers. The business end of it has been unacceptable. He needs to make some changes there. It would be great if he actually participated here. Better communication of lead time and order progress plus reliably keeping to his word would go a long way.

If something's going to take 5 months and you tell people that upfront then there's no problem. Making full payment upfront then waiting and wondering for 4-6 months til he gets around to it isn't cool though.
Your right; but, please note that all the products he has been making are basically very labor intense prototype builds and he has only one employee, his wife. He has been the small business man trying to do everything with next to nothing. Now that he has shopped out and partly redesigned the Super Beast Gen II board it should be not only a better product but have a much faster delivery cycle. This means that he can start making a decent profit on improved volume and start doing the same thing with other products. He does need to redo his site too etc. It's not going to be easy for him and he needs a hand up not a push down at the moment. I don't know about you but I for one am eagerly awaiting a review. I also saw a used Bare Beast go on Flea-bay for more than he has it listed for recently, I'm sure it was worth it. I love my Gen I Super Beast!
IMHO
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Head

Since I last posted here on March 1st this is what has happened regarding him sending me out what I paid for back in August of '14......... nothing. The reply I got from him beginning of March was telling me he was going to send me out a better unit than what I originally purchased, as a way to make it up to me. He was even kinda snide with me saying enjoy your better unit. Okay that's fine but he hasn't sent it out since then. So I (and others) wait, again.

Here's the deal, and I can't speak for anybody else, but If this um....."company" told me "you won't get this for 6 months to a year after you pay for it because everyone wants one" and ACTUALLY DO THIS then that would be fine with me. It really would. I mean I only paid a couple hundred bucks for what I bought. That's not what bothers me. It's just the bad business practice of absolutely terrible communication, plain and simple. That's the thing, he didn't have to tell me he was going to send me something better and send it out right now, but he did. So now I will just get used to the fact that it will never come. If it actually does, hey bonus.

........I was just going to end this post but I'm not done. Not a rant it's that I just find it so curious how somebody who creates apparently great products for really good prices can run their business so seemingly carelessly and communicate so badly. If it's just him and his wife doing everything, wouldn't it occur to them that they should get SOMEBODY .......ANYBODY to help them out? I mean hire a kid to assemble the easy stuff, package them up, do whatever. Use interns from a local Trade or Tech school. We get tons of them, where I work my day job. They're free! And the prices for what you get? that's what gets people like me to pay up front for it, even knowing their reputation. To get something for a couple hundred bucks that everyone (who actually have one) say is as good as anything costing a 1000 bucks or more, people are going to take a chance to see if it will be that good. I mean I'll wait months for it, and I knew that going in, but I can't believe the communication is THAT bad. I mean to ignore e-mails, then to respond with somewhat random statements that I got, and then a promise to send something BETTER?........ yeah this is going to either get more entertaining or more annoying. Just watching this all play out.

Here's the last thing I don't understand. If you have the smarts and ability to make products like this, create or have someone make a web site for you, you obviously are aware of what is going on out there in the industry. You HAVE to be aware of what is going on, right? So Ross Martin will make a product but doesn't go on the internet to see what people think of it?
Old 8th May 2015
Here for the gear

hey guys i ordered a super beats a while waited a very long time no responses until i wrote ross an email letting him know i was very upset at that point i had waited almost 8 months he said he would upgrade my unit to the super beast for my trouble then after all that wait he finally mailed out the unit and i basically couldn't use it the way i wanted to,, so i had to send it back to get monitor controls on the front for 2 sets of monitors what a big freaking mistake that was, its been almost 6 months since i've sent it back he told me while talking to him on the phone before i sent the unit out that he'd start cutting everything and it shouldn't take long so after a few months i email and nothing no response nothing i kept emailing and finally his wife responded telling me they didn't have the part and that they were due to get the parts in that week and id have my unit in 2 weeks that was over a month ago at this point i feel like i've made the worst mistake because i've paid for something and i don;t ever know if ill have it in my posession personally ross is not a bad guy but as far as running a business i'm not happy as a customer. I wanted to buy something else from ross but i can't afford to wait over a year for another product.
Old 8th May 2015
Gear Guru
I would never ever buy anything from this guy with service like that......God forbid something breaks and you have to get it fixed, providing it showed up in the first place. Yikes!
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Head

Ross seems like a good guy who has gone through some rough times, and is putting *everything* he's got into developing some new products. I really hope that the new Super Beast II starts to turn things around for him so that he can start to enjoy his life a little while we enjoy more of his great equipment.
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Head

It seems like Ross does have a few new products out. At the bottom of the following page is a new AES 8x8 ADC/DAC, built on new 6-layer circuit boards, for $1305 USD. If it sounds great, that's a really good price point.

More Ear Gear Products

It doesn't mention anything about USB, though. I wonder what the deal is with that.
Old 9th May 2015
I bought a unit from Ross and although it took about a week more than he said it would take to ship the unit, I got it fast and easy...
Old 9th May 2015
Gear Addict
Maybe his improved cash flow will result in the other half of the refund from my August 2012 order (that I never got).
Old 11th May 2015
hmx
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmx View Post
End of february we received an Email with excuses and the announcement that the missing device will be shipped soon.
Let's hope.
So far, nothing new happened.
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear

I never got an answer to my email from september 2013 where I was asking to buy a unit. I wouldnt buy any product with that "customer support" and communication.
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

I have one of Ross's 4222 A>D converters. It has a two position toggle switch labelled digital filter: position one is "low group delay", position two is "classic setting".

Can anyone give me a heads up as to what a digital filter is and how it affects audio?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search